Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding help am I doing something wrong?

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:53 PM
  • 50 Replies

My baby is a week old today and no matter how often i nurse her she never seems satisfied and she continues to cry! I don't know what to do. We have seen a lactation consultant 2 times at the hospital and again yesterday and they both say she has a great latch and everything looks good but when I get home it's back to a fussy baby. Is something wrong with me am i doing something wrong?

by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on May. 1, 2012 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope, she's just a newborn.

How are diapers? 

She just came into this world, and nursing is very comforting for them, and she's also working at establishing your supply.   It also forces mom to RELAX and take the time she needs to heal.   Enjoy this time, read some books, watch movies, etc...

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 1, 2012 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

This is totally normal, BF babies tend to nurse 17-20 hours a day to start off with and they tend to be impossible to satisfy. Infact my doctor told me to worry if my under 1 month old seemed peaceful and satisfied for too long.

If diapers are 6 a dat wet or messy then baby is getting enough, no worries.  Get a wrap or a sling, baby may really jsut want to nurse nurse nurse and be close to you

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this
She's being a 100% normal newborn. She's telling your body to make that milk! It gets better mama, the first 6 weeks or so are tough. Let her do her thing, she's establishing your supply and also breastmilk is very quickly digested.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
seamonkey419
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Im definately investing in a sling then I keep trying to work on school work but she wants to nurse. thanks for the help. we've been formula feeding her at night so we can get some sleep otherwise it just doesnt happen.

bowhunter2012
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:02 PM
^^^What they said :) good luck it dose get better!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
srbeusk
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this
That will cause a problem. Every bottle of formula you give is one less bottle of milk your boobs know to make... The first couple weeks it is vitally important to your supply to avoid bottles...

Quoting seamonkey419:

Im definately investing in a sling then I keep trying to work on school work but she wants to nurse. thanks for the help. we've been formula feeding her at night so we can get some sleep otherwise it just doesnt happen.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

If you can arrange things safely, give co sleeping a try and learn to nurse lying down on your side.  You'll still be aware of waking up, this early in the game, but it's still a lot more restful than having to physically get out of bed.

Quoting seamonkey419:

Write in Jon Huntsman for President

"People no longer trust that their government is working for them. They see the revolving door between Capitol Hill and K Street, the influence-peddling, the backroom deals, and the crony capitalism. 

http://jon2012.com/issues

seamonkey419
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:25 PM

My bf won't go for that he doesn't want the baby sleeping in bed with us because he moves around alot. I've tried pumping but it hurts my boobs so much that i cant nurse her.

Quoting eema.gray:

If you can arrange things safely, give co sleeping a try and learn to nurse lying down on your side.  You'll still be aware of waking up, this early in the game, but it's still a lot more restful than having to physically get out of bed.

Quoting seamonkey419:

eema.gray
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Then what you do is put your bed tight against a wall or put a safety rail on your side, or install a "side car" crib on your side.  Set things up so that your body is always between yours and baby's.  Unless your boyfriend is rolling over you in his sleep, he won't have any contact with baby.

Quoting seamonkey419:

My bf won't go for that he doesn't want the baby sleeping in bed with us because he moves around alot. I've tried pumping but it hurts my boobs so much that i cant nurse her.

Quoting eema.gray:

Quoting seamonkey419:

Write in Jon Huntsman for President

"People no longer trust that their government is working for them. They see the revolving door between Capitol Hill and K Street, the influence-peddling, the backroom deals, and the crony capitalism. 

http://jon2012.com/issues

seamonkey419
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:33 PM

i didnt think of that one thank u it already is against a wall. hopefully he'll be ok with it.

Quoting eema.gray:

Then what you do is put your bed tight against a wall or put a safety rail on your side, or install a "side car" crib on your side.  Set things up so that your body is always between yours and baby's.  Unless your boyfriend is rolling over you in his sleep, he won't have any contact with baby.

Quoting seamonkey419:

Quoting eema.gray:

Quoting seamonkey419:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)