Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Help please! Nipple shield struggle!!

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 6:32 PM
  • 24 Replies

I am struggling with breast feeding.  I have to use a nipple shield in order for my 5 day old to latch (flat nipples).  My milk has come in, and she is getting enough... but it hurts!

The tips of my nipples look like they have rug burn.  Does this mean the shield isnt the correct size?  no one measured anything, they just gave me a small..... Or is this a latch problem???

by on May. 1, 2012 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Duquesne
by on May. 1, 2012 at 6:34 PM
I would toss the shield, they aren't too helpful. I've never used one so I can't help the fit question.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brenatens
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 7:15 PM

She can't latch without it. Then I get nipple hickies which are way worse!

Patience909
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Actually my nipples had to heal before I could even wear the shield it was still very painful with them on! I can't handle pain so I was pumping and formula feeding till it stop hurting! Now he is all boob!
kathislove80
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Easy to say just toss the shield when you have never had to use one...

Mine is a Medela contact nipple shield, pretty sure it is a 27mm. We are working on weaning from it, but it was a lifesaver at first. Sounds like you need a size up.

Quoting brenatens:

She can't latch without it. Then get nipple hickies which are way worse!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Christiansmom44
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM
I have flat nipples, too. The shields hurt too much, so now I put lanolin on before every feeding to stimulate the nipple so she can latch. Works like a charm with no pain
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjimaging
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 7:49 PM
They do come in different sizes. I used one for four months before he weened off the shield. I needed it or he wouldn't nurse. Where I am you can get them at target. I didn't have problems with mine but maybe it's too small.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boysrablessing
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM
Get a med and it should help. your nipples will still be sore bc u have something restricting them as latch control changes u may be able to do away with the nipple sheild just try to keep introducing her to the breast So she is familiar without the shield as well. my twins had to use them. and nipples get sore even without shields! Dont get discouraged generally it works out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daynaof3
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM
Have they always been flat or did this start after delivery? Either way, try expressing either by hand or with a pump before latching and look into getting shells instead of shields. Getting latching down takes work, you'll get there. Make sure the shield is on correctly, there should have been instructions on how to put it on in the packaging. Try every time without it but if it is the only way to get baby to breast for the moment keep using it. I used one for 2 weeks before we got things down without it. Keep trying, you'll get there and contact an IBCLC for some good help irl.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Duquesne
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM
Nor did I say it'd be easy

Quoting kathislove80:

Easy to say just toss the shield when you have never had to use one...

Mine is a Medela contact nipple shield, pretty sure it is a 27mm. We are working on weaning from it, but it was a lifesaver at first. Sounds like you need a size up.

Quoting brenatens:

She can't latch without it. Then get nipple hickies which are way worse!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 1, 2012 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

SHELLS. Wear them when not nursing. LEarn the booby sandwich: Hold the breast in a c hold and SQUEEZE. Then brush baby's lips with the nipple in an up and down motion. When baby opens WIDE... push the nipple in. You have to do most of the work for her. If she slides down, repeat. As often as needed.

Flat nipples are actually quite normal. Baby only needs this ) or } to latch on, not >.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN