Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
The news actually showed and talked about breastfeeding . The showed a woman nursing her baby . The said do not throw pacis out . Bc it actually develops a baby to want to nurse . It helps a baby nurse and want to breastfeed . It was cool seeing that on tv.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
justone_jen
by Jen on May. 2, 2012 at 8:27 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm glad they showed breastfeeding, but, in general, I don't think a baby needs a pacifier to want to nurse. That comes naturally, usually.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rattlesnail
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:03 AM

my DD takes a paci and she seems to have gotten much faster at BF even though she was pretty fast before. My first never took a paci cause there was nothing coming out of it. and my second son goes to bed with a paci and my DD will soothe with one but will just play with it but she will also use her thumb too so hopefully I can get her to the paci so I can take it away when she gets older... that just sounds aweful doesn't it? Giving something to a child just to take it away later...

livewell
by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:16 AM
4 moms liked this

It's SUPER that it was on mainstream television...But...but...they are lying! LOL

Pacifiers are not our friend...when a baby wants to stay on the boob after eating, for "soothing", there is still milk coming out...tiny bits of milk, but they are so full of specific requirements for the body...there is actually two-way communication between the baby and the boob, and baby will ask for EXACTLY what it needs to grow RIGHT then.

(BTW, this is just MY OPPIONION...hope I don't offend anyone...you can read more about how passionate I am about breastfeeding in my journal

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1388685/Why_I_am_Passionate_About_Breastfeeding

January1964
by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Never give your baby a paci. It's soooo hard to get them to give it up. Here I am 3 years later like a jackass and I can't get my 3 yr old to give up the paci. She gets it at nap and bedtime and that's it but she does ask for it sometimes. Ugh.

mommy_4509
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:07 PM
I just out right took my sons paci . And it was hard the first 3 days . I just told him his doctor took it . And he was fine with it . Almost a year with no paci . I took it last July.

Quoting January1964:

Never give your baby a paci. It's soooo hard to get them to give it up. Here I am 3 years later like a jackass and I can't get my 3 yr old to give up the paci. She gets it at nap and bedtime and that's it but she does ask for it sometimes. Ugh.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gruntlings
by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:54 PM
3 moms liked this

I question the pacifier advice. They might be helpful in the beginning, but their impact on breastfeeding during growth spurts is.. Questionable. If baby is used to nursing for comfort baby will nurse until mom lets down. If baby's used to a pacifier for comfort, a hungry baby will SCREAM AND SCREAM AND SCREAM and often mom becomes convinced that she's dry as a desert, or baby will go on a nursing strike.

I prefer not to use pacifiers, or to ditch them at the first growth spurt that becomes a problem. Or to mix up where baby comfort sucks.

mommy_4509
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM
I used pacis with my son , my DD is 5 months and she don't take them . She prefers her boobie . Lol

Quoting Gruntlings:

I question the pacifier advice. They might be helpful in the beginning, but their impact on breastfeeding during growth spurts is.. Questionable. If baby is used to nursing for comfort baby will nurse until mom lets down. If baby's used to a pacifier for comfort, a hungry baby will SCREAM AND SCREAM AND SCREAM and often mom becomes convinced that she's dry as a desert, or baby will go on a nursing strike.

I prefer not to use pacifiers, or to ditch them at the first growth spurt that becomes a problem. Or to mix up where baby comfort sucks.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2BJ
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I still don't see how a paci would encourage nursing. Neither of my two  liked them at all. BJ nursed until we were forced to wean him at 3 years, 11 months because I was 8 months pregnant with Gregory at the time. There were tears from BJ & I because it was very stressful for us both. The "powers that be" decided something awful would happen to Gregory if I didn't wean BJ- but I asked the LLL & they said that I would lose my breast milk before anything happens to the unborn baby. A pregnant woman's body first takes care of the unborn baby, then if nursing, the milk supply and the pregnant woman's health is third on the list.

I know its slightly off-topic of the post, but I thought I would add this.

I just "love" (read sarcasm) how nurses always say babies are using you for a pacifier. Most of them are not experts at breastfeeding anyway. I hope I am not getting myself in trouble about my opinions about the medical profession. Its not that I hate them, I have had a few bad experiences with them- that's all. 

Lilypie - (Sskr) 

Lilypie - (Uloy)

Lilypie - (2dY4)

Gruntlings
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Quoting Mommy2BJ:

(snipped for length) 

I just "love" (read sarcasm) how nurses always say babies are using you for a pacifier. Most of them are not experts at breastfeeding anyway. I hope I am not getting myself in trouble about my opinions about the medical profession. Its not that I hate them, I have had a few bad experiences with them- that's all.     

I hate the phrase "using mommy as a pacifier".

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 4, 2012 at 11:26 AM
2 moms liked this

What that studies shows is that moms who wouldve otherwise gotten overwhelmed and stopped BFing kept BFing when using the paci, doesnt mean that its better for baby.  Its better for mom because it means less time for baby at the breast.  What the study hasnt told us yet is how many had to suppliment because it hurt supply.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)