Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
When my son turns 8 mths old i start giving him bm in a bottle? And if not how many oz will it be ok to give him at that age? he'll be 5mths soon but i just want to make sure that i get all the,facts right before making that move. And i want too make sure thats ok. All advice will be appreciated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:20 AM
Replies (11-20):
McM0609
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 2:09 AM
Thnx ladies, i appreciate ur help and advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 2, 2012 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Be very aware that switching will NOT mean sleeping. Indeed, it means less sleep if you're going to exclusively pump because you have to get up and on the pump a couple of times a night.

What will probably work better for you is to transition baby to his own space. Great info on that on drjaygordon.com... search his site for "sleep pattern." But be warned... his first bit of advice is that if you wanted sleep you made your first mistake in conception. **grin** Nearly 13 years postpartum I can tell you that he's right on that one!

McM0609
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Well my son was definetely not a mistake. So i think i will pass on that info, thnx anyway.

Quoting gdiamante:

Be very aware that switching will NOT mean sleeping. Indeed, it means less sleep if you're going to exclusively pump because you have to get up and on the pump a couple of times a night.

What will probably work better for you is to transition baby to his own space. Great info on that on drjaygordon.com... search his site for "sleep pattern." But be warned... his first bit of advice is that if you wanted sleep you made your first mistake in conception. **grin** Nearly 13 years postpartum I can tell you that he's right on that one!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmilyMarshall
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:33 AM
bump

Glowing4Caleb
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Ok, I have a 4.5 year old and he slept through the night at 6 months just about every single night with the exception of a growing pain here or there. So, to say that you wont ever sleep again is silly. Perhaps that previous poster just has bad sleepers. I got 4 good years of sleeping every night before my second was born three months ago. Now? Yeah, I get up a good one or two times at night.

I do agree that switching to their own space is a great idea. Honestly, bottles would make you have to wake up just as much and then you have to prepare the bottle. You could have a rocking chair or glider in baby's room or, I just get him from his bed and nurse in mine so I can still lay down or even doze a bit. But, when the baby is finished and/or asleep, I unlatch and put him back in his space.

At 6 months old, assuming he is doing well growth wise, I will begin to sleep train him if he isn't sleeping through the night by then. We did a form of CIO, which isn't for every one. (when baby cries, be sure he is dry, say it is night night time, then leave room. After 5 minutes, go back in pat, say night night, and repeat. Increasing the times of going in by 5 minutes. I only had to do this for two nights before he was sleeping through the night (with my first) so I will do this again with my second and hope for the same results.

mamabens
by Miranda on May. 2, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Well if you do pass on that info then you are passing on some very very good advice. He's right though, The day you concieved was the beginning of no sleep..part of being a parent. I haven't gotten an uninterrupted night of sleep in the 10 yrs since I became a mom.

Quoting McM0609:

Well my son was definetely not a mistake. So i think i will pass on that info, thnx anyway.

Quoting gdiamante:

MommyJill87
by Jill on May. 2, 2012 at 11:51 AM
My LO starts off the night in the packnplay then moves into the bed with us. It usually gives us 2-5 hours to cuddle or do other activities.

Quoting McM0609:

How in a cup? In a sippy cup or in regular cup? How does that work? I,want to do this cause cosleeping isnt working out, he just gtg too used,too sleeping with us and i would like to cuddle with my husband again but not give up bf or bm. If i could give him bm in a bottle that'll be awesome. I just dont want too feel guilty for using one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Mary on May. 2, 2012 at 12:07 PM
It's harder because you must pump on a strict schedule. Every 2-3 hrs with at most a 4-5 hr gap at night, even when you go out. To raise supply now, you'll have to pump 5 minutes after the last drop. I'd suggest a 2 hr schedule with a 5 at night. He needs 1-1.25 oz per hour, fed in no larger than 3 oz at a time. Always before solids. Burp every ounce, switch sides mid-feed to mimic nursing. Then you'll be feeding him that and cleaning your pump/bottles/nipples/cups. (Which personally, if I had to do this, then I'd do it in a regular or sippy cup which I'd introduce now(empty, with an oz at 6 months to adjust), I'd still hold him during feeds to mimic breastfeeding)
You need to start that *now* to get to a pumpable supply. You may need to add in galactogogues. You also need a great pump to hold up to that wear.
Not to mention that you're giving him the best right now. Pumped milk is a step down from direct nursing health wise. When you nurse dirrctly the baby's saliva causes the Montgomery glad to specifically taylor your milk for him. Pumping you lose that. Still much better than donor milk (which is third on the who's hierarchy), and much much better than formula (last on the who's hierarchy). Not using bottles consistently helps the jaw form better as well but that's a minor issue.
I don't think it'll save you sleep at all. :( I'd try Dr. Jay's site first. Lack of sleep comes with mommyhood. I take it as a compliment. I'm such a great mommy that my kids even want me at night. Kinda makes it easier.
ETA: I have bad baby fever atm so DH jikes that I'm allergic to sleep. I say what the heck, it's been over 3 yrs now so what's a few more?
Quoting McM0609:

Yes, he has no problem taking a bottle and the nipple. He takes both with no problem. Why and how is it more difficult EP?

Quoting larissalarie:

Ahhh you want to switch to exclusively pumping! That's totally different from what I thought.

Does he take a bottle now? EP is very difficult, especially at that age. You can transition baby to sleeping in a crib without bottle feeding :-)

(the last baby I babysat was still sleeping in his parents bed at THREE when I quit watching him and he was formula fed from day one)

Quoting McM0609:

How in a cup? In a sippy cup or in regular cup? How does that work? I,want to do this cause cosleeping isnt working out, he just gtg too used,too sleeping with us and i would like to cuddle with my husband again but not give up bf or bm. If i could give him bm in a bottle that'll be awesome. I just dont want too feel guilty for using one.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 2, 2012 at 12:15 PM

That was a joke, you know. And that;s how he intends it.(The meaning being... you're never really gonna get that good night's sleep again... we sign it away in borth blood.)

If you remember that, then in all seriousness his advice on transitioning is THE BEST on the planet. Really. It WORKS.

Quoting McM0609:

Quoting gdiamante:

McM0609
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Well im glad that at least some of you understand what i mean, my daughter started sleeping through the night at 2 mths so yea this is actually new to me. I also did CIO with my daughter but with my son i cant cause he wont stop crying for nothing. Even after being checked for a dirty diaper or or being fed.

Quoting Glowing4Caleb:

Ok, I have a 4.5 year old and he slept through the night at 6 months just about every single night with the exception of a growing pain here or there. So, to say that you wont ever sleep again is silly. Perhaps that previous poster just has bad sleepers. I got 4 good years of sleeping every night before my second was born three months ago. Now? Yeah, I get up a good one or two times at night.

I do agree that switching to their own space is a great idea. Honestly, bottles would make you have to wake up just as much and then you have to prepare the bottle. You could have a rocking chair or glider in baby's room or, I just get him from his bed and nurse in mine so I can still lay down or even doze a bit. But, when the baby is finished and/or asleep, I unlatch and put him back in his space.

At 6 months old, assuming he is doing well growth wise, I will begin to sleep train him if he isn't sleeping through the night by then. We did a form of CIO, which isn't for every one. (when baby cries, be sure he is dry, say it is night night time, then leave room. After 5 minutes, go back in pat, say night night, and repeat. Increasing the times of going in by 5 minutes. I only had to do this for two nights before he was sleeping through the night (with my first) so I will do this again with my second and hope for the same results.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN