Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breasting vs breast reduction! Help!

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:54 AM
  • 5 Replies

OK girlies! Heres my problem and please don't judge me!

I'm 18 and I'm on medicaid insurance that expires in DEC because I turn 19. BEFORE I became pregnant I was a size 34G.. Now I don't even know what I am. I have a five month old and i breastfeed him and I LOVE it.. But my HB wants me to get a boob reduction and I want to now because my back is soo jacked up and now my doctor has me going to physical therapy. If I do that though, I can't BF. My mom says he's old enough now that he'll be okay with formula. What do ya'll think?? Anyone have a reduction in the past? Is it scary? And will I miss BF tooo terribly if I have the surgery?

by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lifetimelove
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:56 AM
A reduction does NOT mean that you won't be able to breastfeed.

Www.bfar.org

Go to that website.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:57 AM

I think you should talk with a surgeo, communicate your interest in continuing to nurse after the surgery, and see what they can do.  Of course the surgeon will want to leave you with a natural symetrical shape, but they may be able to save some milk producing tissues.  There's a good chance you would have to supplement some formula but combo feeding formula and some nursing is a very good option.

If your back is bad, I would strongly encourage you to go ahead and have the surgery.  It will affect your future health and quality of life if you don't.

Write in Jon Huntsman for President

"People no longer trust that their government is working for them. They see the revolving door between Capitol Hill and K Street, the influence-peddling, the backroom deals, and the crony capitalism. 

http://jon2012.com/issues

Duquesne
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:58 AM
I know it is possible to breast feed after, though not sure if doing it WHILE breastfeeding changes anything. Good luck with your decision.
Bfar.org
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
laysensmommy
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:00 AM

My regular doctor told me I would not be able to breastfeed if I had the surgery but I guess she could always be wrong! She also said they wouldnt't do it until a year after I quit BF, but I done some light research and she was definately wrong about that. THANKS :)

eema.gray
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Most doctors know precious little about human lactation, :-(

I'm sure i recall at least a few posters in this group who have nursed after reductions.  

Quoting laysensmommy:

My regular doctor told me I would not be able to breastfeed if I had the surgery but I guess she could always be wrong! She also said they wouldnt't do it until a year after I quit BF, but I done some light research and she was definately wrong about that. THANKS :)

Write in Jon Huntsman for President

"People no longer trust that their government is working for them. They see the revolving door between Capitol Hill and K Street, the influence-peddling, the backroom deals, and the crony capitalism. 

http://jon2012.com/issues

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN