Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

WEANING YOUR BABY WON'T MAKE HIM SLEEP BETTER

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:04 AM
  • 24 Replies
5 moms liked this
it seems to be a hot topic. Just had to address that.

I have had children with three very different personalities and breastfeeding habits. I've been able to transition all three of them to sleeping in their own crib long before they stopped breastfeeding.

I think many are looking for an easy way to get their baby to stop cosleeping and/or sleep better. The sheet fact is, there is no easy way, regardless of how you feed them. It will take a little time and effort on your part, and probably a few weeks, but you just transition them by transitioning them, and sticking to it. It has nothing to do with nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 3:31 AM
Agreed!

I was wondering, though, if you could share how you transitioned them? I want to let dd transition herself when she's ready (just turned 1), but we'll be ttc in a few months and I'll need her to be transitioned by the time the next baby comes along (preferably before I start getting big - we only have a queen and no room to sidecar or anything).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ILoveMyFam
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 7:22 AM
Not true for us - both girls were sleeping in their own beds since 3mo old but neither slept through the night til I weaned them at 15/16mo. I don't think it makes a difference in young babies though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 2, 2012 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine weaned at 26 months and did not sleep all night long. Weaning and sleeping are separate issues. There are babies who WILL sleep through and babies who will not.

Death, taxes and never sleeping a full night again... our three guarantees as mom.

flowermama2011
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM
My LO is 5 months old, she has been sleeping in her own bed in our room from day one, she only gets up once a night to nurse,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Glowing4Caleb
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I totally agree. My first is 4 years old and he slept 7:30-7:30 starting at 6 months old. He nursed until after his first birthday. He,and I feel MANY breastfeed babies do this, got in the habit of needing to nurse to soothe himself back to sleep. At 6 months old, he didn't still need to eat in the middle of the night, so we sleep trained him to self soothe. Now, some babies MAY still need to eat then for weight gain issues, etc., but he certainly didn't need to! LOL I make 'em chunky!

My 3 month old still wakes one or two times at night to eat, but he is just 3 months old.

Both were in their own room and crib starting at about a week old. My youngest was in our room a little over a week.

All in all, it really depends on the baby not what they eat.

mamabens
by Miranda on May. 2, 2012 at 11:16 AM

AGREED! Just because your child sttn & weaning happen to be close together doesn't mean the weaning caused sttn. lol All 3 of my kids no longer nurse & they are 10, 8 & 3 & none of them sttn, they all wake up at least once as do I.

catholicmamamia
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Agreed! 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  and share advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

catholicmamamia
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:23 PM

And.. thank you 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  and share advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

starreyedcutie
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Not true here...as soon as I weaned my daughter at 17mo she slept through the night after a few days. Where before she woke 3x wanting to eat
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starreyedcutie
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Yea young babies is a different story I think

Quoting ILoveMyFam:

Not true for us - both girls were sleeping in their own beds since 3mo old but neither slept through the night til I weaned them at 15/16mo. I don't think it makes a difference in young babies though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)