Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Tired and Confused

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:24 AM
  • 13 Replies

You know when they say mommy's instincts should be listened to? Im not sure If I should because I am running on very little sleep - but my LO is going through *something* just not sure what it is. 

Hes 8 wks and is generally is a happy baby but has been a little more fussy than usual. Diaper counts are good and he hasnt lost any weight. 

Here is where my confusion comes from - I honestly feel like he is using me as a pacifier. I got my OALD and oversupply under control finally but feel like ever since he gets lazy and doesnt eat until he is full. Or maybe he does it just takes longer and more attempts? But I feel like he is always falling asleep at the breast but still sucking for comfort. For the last two days he has been feeding almost every 1-2 hours and always falls asleep but wakes up when I break the suction (my poor poor nipples:( ). I thought it was cluster feeding, but why did I work so hard to get my oversupply and OALD down just to have nature say we need to get it up? Since birth he has been a pro at latching - and all of a sudden he seems to have alot of trouble. Its not a proper latch anymore, and I am suffering alot because of it. He is also very gassy.

He has thrush which we have been trying to treat naturally but finally got a prescription as it just got worse. Could he be uncomfortable from the thrush and thinking hes hungry even when hes not? Cluster feeding? Not enough Milk? pacifing himself? teething already? Something is just not right but I m not sure what it is. Please help? 

by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 2, 2012 at 6:03 AM
1 mom liked this
It could be any of those issues you mentioned. Any fever or pain? Any change in your diet?
If diaper count is good then theres no supply issue.
Some babies have teething symptoms for months before they get teeth.
Breastfeeding meets more then nutritional needs. if theyre feeling yucky (which if hes having gas he could have some abdominal pain) they will nurse because its a source of comfort for them.
Meeting new milestones.
Some babies are just high needs. And derm comfort from nursing and being close regularly.
hopefully its just a growth spurt and it will quickly pass.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crystal_S
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:11 AM

He doesnt have a fever and besides the fussiness I dont think hes in any real amount of pain. He is meeting milestones too, gaining weight, and diapers are good. I cant think of anything that has changed in my diet. i eat mostly the same old boring stuff and keep it as healthy as possible. I hope it is just a growth spurt. Maybe he has just been so easy up until now with few issues that this is stressing me out more than it should. If it is cluster feeding because of a growth spurt, then I just have to wait it out as I look forward to sleep. If it is comfort nursing - what do I do? My nipples can't handle much more of this. And my biggest concern is that he isn't latching properly anymore. I suppose this can be due to comfort nursing as well since he need not latch properly to use me as a pacifier. 

Crystal_S
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:06 AM

BUMP!

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Honestly mama, sounds like a growth spurt!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Coconut oil helps thrush.
If he's falling asleep before finishing a feeding wake him up. I had that problem, too. "My LC said wake her up she's using you as a paci". When I woke her up to finish the feeding it got better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 2, 2012 at 10:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Crystal_S:

You know when they say mommy's instincts should be listened to? Im not sure If I should because I am running on very little sleep - but my LO is going through *something* just not sure what it is. 

Hes 8 wks and is generally is a happy baby but has been a little more fussy than usual. Diaper counts are good and he hasnt lost any weight. 

Here is where my confusion comes from - I honestly feel like he is using me as a pacifier.

Actually, pacifiers are Mom Replacement Devices. This is normal behavior.

I got my OALD and oversupply under control finally but feel like ever since he gets lazy and doesnt eat until he is full. Or maybe he does it just takes longer and more attempts? But I feel like he is always falling asleep at the breast but still sucking for comfort. For the last two days he has been feeding almost every 1-2 hours and always falls asleep but wakes up when I break the suction (my poor poor nipples:( ). I thought it was cluster feeding, but why did I work so hard to get my oversupply and OALD down just to have nature say we need to get it up? Since birth he has been a pro at latching - and all of a sudden he seems to have alot of trouble. Its not a proper latch anymore, and I am suffering alot because of it. He is also very gassy.

He has thrush which we have been trying to treat naturally but finally got a prescription as it just got worse. Could he be uncomfortable from the thrush and thinking hes hungry even when hes not? Cluster feeding? Not enough Milk? pacifing himself? teething already? Something is just not right but I m not sure what it is. Please help? 

Normal eight week old. That's all. Normal eight week old. The reason we bond is to keep us from eating them or throwing them out the window when they're this normal.

soulofsunmama
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Breastfeeding goes way beyond just food....pacifying is a valid need to a baby. It also helps your body regulate your milk. When mine started doing this around that age, my nipples got sore as well, and his latch got bad. I went to an IBCLC who re-taught us both how to latch correctly again ( which I wasn't sure we needed, or could help, and ended up making ALL the difference.) Also, I went to BabiesRus and got cooling soothies gel pads ( they helped SO much!) I also got some Earth Mama Angel Baby Callendula nipple salve (I swear by this stuff, MUCH more so them lanolin,) and put on several times a day. I wont lie, its a pretty rough period, but your nipples will stop being so sore (just make sure you AND baby are both treated for the thrush or you'll just keep passing back and forth.)
Another trick I learned a couple months back is when they are done eating, almost or asleep and just pacifying, take your finger and gently press their jaw upwards under the chin, this helps that sucking motion (which is healthy and totally normal) stop. Eventually they will learn to release your nipple (take your time, don't rush this, I didn't start until he was 5ish months old,and tool several slow months teaching him.) After they release, continue lightly pressing under the chin, they will continue that fluttery suckle then eventually stop.
Good Luck it WILL get better
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this! Sounds normal to me! I have a 3 month old myself and he is on my breast all the time! During the day I wear him in a sling and he nurses almost non-stop. Night time isn't much better if any lol! I think the problem is most people are used to formula fed babies who go 3 or 4 hours between feedings. Formula is digested slower and is heavier so they feel full longer. So breastfeeding babies eat more often.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Crystal_S:

Here is where my confusion comes from - I honestly feel like he is using me as a pacifier.

Actually, pacifiers are Mom Replacement Devices. This is normal behavior.

I got my OALD and oversupply under control finally but feel like ever since he gets lazy and doesnt eat until he is full. Or maybe he does it just takes longer and more attempts? But I feel like he is always falling asleep at the breast but still sucking for comfort. For the last two days he has been feeding almost every 1-2 hours and always falls asleep but wakes up when I break the suction (my poor poor nipples:( ). I thought it was cluster feeding, but why did I work so hard to get my oversupply and OALD down just to have nature say we need to get it up? Since birth he has been a pro at latching - and all of a sudden he seems to have alot of trouble. Its not a proper latch anymore, and I am suffering alot because of it. He is also very gassy.

Normal eight week old. That's all. Normal eight week old. The reason we bond is to keep us from eating them or throwing them out the window when they're this normal.

Daynaof3
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this
What are you treating the thrush with? When did you first notice the thrush and begin treating? Are you treating yourself as well?
Thrush is good at causing gassiness and fussiness in babies. I would suggest a probiotic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MurphyTTC
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Did u get nyastatin (spelling?) Oral fir him? And something for ye nipples as well? I hate to say it but my DD because the same way with the prescription fussy, gassy nit eating good etc and when I stopped in 24 hours I had my normal baby back. Try coconut oil
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)