Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding a newborn while you have a toddler

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:23 AM
  • 36 Replies

Hi all!

So I was just wondering if any veterans have some advice on this topic.  I'm due at the end of this month with my second baby girl (third child....my oldest will be 18).  I plan on breastfeeding her but remember how demaning my now 20 month old daughter was.  She was every hour and a half to two hours for what seemed like an eternity so I was either breastfeeding or pumping.  She's still a bit demanding of my time even though she no longer breastfeeds.  She's really loves her momma and wants me around ALL the time.

So I'm just curious as to how veterans have dealt with having a toddler needing their attention while trying to breastfeed their newborn?  I think she's going to be a great big sister because she seems so interested in babies whenever we see them and she's in love with my belly right now but I am realistic and I know that having a baby in the house competing for mommy's attention is going to be a little touch on her.  So any advice on how to make it as easy as possible for all of us is greatly appreciated!

by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tth328
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:25 AM
Bump! I'm gonna have a newborn with a toddler this year too so I'd like to know :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3rd2bedue
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Newborn sling is how im going to do it. ^_^ I have two toddlers and soon to have a new EBF baby if all goes to well. I was told that nursing in a sling is good when you must tend to other children. ^_^

TheBabyFactory4
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:31 AM
I had 2 toddlers and a newborn 5 1/2 years ago. I managed to nurse for about 7-8 weeks. I then went back to work and was too exhausted trying to keep up with them all. Dh worked a lot also so I had very little help with him. I hope you find something that works for you because I regret not sticking it out. I now have a nursling infant with a 5 1/2, 6 1/2 and 8 yr old. I'm loving it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on May. 2, 2012 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

For me the EASIEST was to not bother with pumping, that added a whole new stress I didn't need. Also a sling or wrap is a must with more than one kid. YOu can  strap baby on, latch baby on & 'forget ' about it. That way you have hands free to cahse the older ones.

luvhubandbabys
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Regardless of how u feed she will get jealous. But its short lived. Sling is a good idea. Or if u can while nursing can u sit on the floor and play with her, read books... u just gotta get creative with how to divide ur time.

In nov. I will have 2 toddlers and a newborn..eek.

Besides being in sling might protect baby. My oldest was 14 mos when my youngest was born she tried to smack her and give her toys by throwing them at her. Ugh it was fun. But she eventually stopped doing that when she realized baby wasn't going anywhere. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 2, 2012 at 8:49 AM
I have a 4.5 yr old, 2.5 yr old and 1 month old. Still breastfeeding the 2.5 yr old and now the newbie to.
We try to include the older two. While I'm nursing the baby we read books or watch movie play game. Try to involve them by helping get diaper/wipes chose what baby will wear.
Take the kids to play group or bring them outside to run off energy.
My daughter was a super momma girl. Now that babys here daddy takes extra attention to her and her and daddy are closer then ever.
I would definetly abandon the pump its going to add work to baby care. Wear newbie in a ring sling. It keeps your hands free and you can nurse baby hands free.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoyfulMommy1221
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:11 AM
I'll be dealing with this in a few days! I plan on sitting either on the couch (which my 2yr old dd can climb on and sit nest to me) or the floor. I also want to get some special activities that are pulled out JUST during nursing time. Like a special book or coloring book. I'm kind of lucky because my dh doesn't work every day so I'll have help a lot. This baby is also being born close to the end of the school year so dh's family will be around to help too. Plus my family is coming down for about a week once the baby comes.

Just think, the first 6 weeks is the hardest!
EmilyMarshall
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:13 AM
Bump

Clubpenguin
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:14 AM
I nursed on the go. Seriously on the floor,couch, playroom. Wherever my toddler (16 months) went I went. Just be careful when moving too quickly the suction breaks and hurts.
KJones413
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:21 AM

If you are bf a toddler while pregnant, how will baby get the needed colostrum when it is born? Just wondering I would have made a post but it didnt feel necessary

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN