Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He's biting me!!!!!

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:05 PM
  • 4 Replies

DS is 8 months old and has been EBF. Teeth just came in and now he is biting and pinching me at some feedings. I tell him "NO!" but he hasn't learned yet. I want to switch to pumping and bottle feeding, but he resists the bottle so much and I eventually give in and give him my breast. Any advice, suggestions, of experience on this? Thanks =)

by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
chellenout
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Id tap my dc's  noses's when they'd bite and say " no no". Be consistent and then they see my finger ready to tap and they eventually learned not to bite. 

mommajeje
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:25 PM

My 11 month old has been biting off and on, I find it's best to try to not react to it (really hard to do sometimes, ouch!), that just makes him smile/giggle and clamp down harder.  I just tell him "that hurts mommy" and put him down for a minute if I have to.  He is learning that biting gets it taken away from him, so he's doing better.

JoyfulMommy1221
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:58 PM
I would pop dd off and say ouch! And then I wouldn't let her relatch for quite some time. I even resorted to putting her on the floor after unlatching her and saying "if you can't be nice, you don't get any!"
of course she would get some again, but the point was that she needed to be nice. She started biting at 4 mos and at that age I didn't put her down, but when she bit at 8 mos (she was tired and trying to stay awake) I put her down. The biting stopped rather quickly.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 2, 2012 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

There's a much much easier fix to this than pumping.

Couple of steps to it. Step one is to never feed ONE SPOONFUL of solids before nursing. Solids follow, all the wasy to the first birthday. You want that boy HUNGRY when he nurses.

Step two... three strikes. First bite, take him off, tell him no, resume nursing. Repeat on second bite. Third bite... put him down in a safe place like his high chair and WALK AWAY for a few minutes. Then repeat. Over and over till he gets it in his head that biting means he stays hungry! This generally works pretty quickly and once it does you never have to do it again. Unlike pumping which is a long term tie-down.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)