Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I'm scared that my DH is going to ruin breastfeeding for me

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM
  • 21 Replies

I recently went back to work, and my DH is a "domestic engineer" (lol) until he deploys in a few weeks.  Anyway...last night he said that my DD (she's 9 weeks old) drank 8 oz of breastmilk in 3 hours.  Even though I have told him over and over to give her an ounce and burp her, and to only give her 3 ounces.  He said she was still hungry, so he fed her.  We struggle with BF as it is, and I'm worried that he is going to destroy our chances of being successful.  I tried to explain to him that I can't produce 8 ounces in that amount of time, but he doesn't get it....any suggestions?  She is completely breast fed when I am at home.

by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
phrenicfire89
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MurphyTTC
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Premake her bottles. And put stick notes on them.
Also take him to the formula isle and grab about 10 cans of formula and then add up the price! That jwlppws ah awe how much money we save. Haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:14 PM
3 moms liked this

Explain to him that he is HURTING his little girl when he does that.  He is jeopardizing her health.  Liken it to him sitting down and eating 5 Big Macs.  Could he do it?  Sure.  Would they be yummy.  Sure.  Is it at all the right thing to do?  Absolutely NOT.  And he's doing this to a tiny 9 week old baby!  Give him some tips on calming baby.  Equip him with tools he can use instead of resorting to the bottle.  Leave a shirt that you've worn for baby to cuddle in.  Does she take a pacifier?  Does she like a swing or bouncy seat?  Find ways to make him feel more confident with caring for baby and let him know hurting her by feeding her that much is just plain old NOT okay!!  Good luck!

finnbar
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 2:23 PM
2 moms liked this

hmm, sounds like DD was stressed being apart from you and he just comfort fed her!  AT least his heart is in the right place, he wanted to soothe her.

I would help him brainstorm different ways to distract and calm her.  A little baby I nannied loved it when I sat on a giant exercise ball and gently bounced.  He would just stare at the wall bobbling behind us and konk out :)

mnmo3bb
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I think breastfed babies drink more pumped milk because it is thinner and easier to drink. It doesn't get thick and slow down at the end. I was always surprised how much mine went through as well. I think it is really hard to keep up with pumping. I hope it works out for you, I am sure some ladies have some good advice! I always ended up having to give formula :( But I do know some women that have made it work and made it to at least 9 months mainly pumping...

melindabelcher
by mel on May. 2, 2012 at 2:47 PM
I would leave prepaired bottle/s in the fridge and freeze any excess.
He needs to learn other ways to soothe her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Go on Kellymom.com and print out the page "Bottlefeeding the breastfed baby" and hand it to him. Leave the minimal amount needed in already separated bottles. Explain to him that babies can't control the flow of the bottle the way they can at the breast. They don't realize how much they've drank and will still act hungry, which is why feeding in an upright position and burping at every ounce is a must. Tell him she needs to view the bottle as "low supply" and view you as "high supply" to prevent bottle preference which can lead you down the path to a very tough breastfeeding relationship. And most importantly, he NEEDS to know that he is severely overfeeding her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 2, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Quoting mnmo3bb:

I think breastfed babies drink more pumped milk because it is thinner and easier to drink. It doesn't get thick and slow down at the end. I was always surprised how much mine went through as well. I think it is really hard to keep up with pumping. I hope it works out for you, I am sure some ladies have some good advice! I always ended up having to give formula :( But I do know some women that have made it work and made it to at least 9 months mainly pumping...

26 months here. And never never never that much milkin that little time. Dad needs to learn how to comfort, or he's enfgineering himself out of his current assignment.

tbug9182
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:16 PM

This.

Quoting finnbar:

hmm, sounds like DD was stressed being apart from you and he just comfort fed her!  AT least his heart is in the right place, he wanted to soothe her.

I would help him brainstorm different ways to distract and calm her.  A little baby I nannied loved it when I sat on a giant exercise ball and gently bounced.  He would just stare at the wall bobbling behind us and konk out :)

CafeMom Tickers
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:19 PM
He needs to read that kellymom article above.

Also, really drill into his head that feeding your baby that much HURTS!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)