Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

told to supplement.. feel like crying..

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:12 PM
  • 49 Replies

So, my daughter will be 7 months May 10th.  She was 7lbs 11 oz when she was born and within a couple days lost 11 oz.  She was 12 lbs in Feb.  She had a well child check today and she weighs 11 lbs 15 oz.   Her doctor said that after i nurse her i should try giving her 2 oz of formula and if she drinks that offer more.  This is supposed to be done everytime i breastfeed.  Plus she said to give rice cereal 2 times a day.  She wants to check her weight again in 2 weeks and if she doesnt gain then wants to do blood work!  I cried all the way home.  I want her to be heatlhy and gain weight..i just really didn't want to have to do it with formula.  She has tried a few solids..  mainly some avacado, bananas.. sweet potatoes, carrots.. i've cooked apples and she's tried some of those.. but mainly nursing.  and always before she eats obviously.  My other issue with feeding her anything besides the breast is she will not take a bottle.  I've offered a sippy cup and she mainly chews on it.. etc. 

Any advice ?

by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crazy4u49033
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Is she 7 months or 7 weeks?

momofava2012
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Quoting crazy4u49033:

Is she 7 months or 7 weeks?

She is almost 7 months

comf
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Wow. Can you pump and supplement? Donor milk? Her low weight is very concerning!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofava2012
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I'm going to pump after she nurses and offer that as well.  I guess i don't understand how she can gain weight and then stop gaining? 

Duquesne
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:26 PM
Is my math off? It seems she's nearly doubled her birth weight.

Quoting comf:

Wow. Can you pump and supplement? Donor milk? Her low weight is very concerning!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Duquesne
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:26 PM
Is she crawling?

Quoting momofava2012:

I'm going to pump after she nurses and offer that as well.  I guess i don't understand how she can gain weight and then stop gaining? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
phrenicfire89
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:27 PM
2 moms liked this
Have you tried making your diet fattier? He wants to supplement because of the easy calories in formula and cereal. When my son was going through weight problems I never gave him the meds the doc gave him and only followed some of the advice given. But I knew what was wrong with him, he has a heart condition that acts as a growth stunt. I chose healthy over the docs version of safe. My advice is to take a month to fatten up your diet leading to fattening breast milk, then if she seems too low still, let them do some tests to rule out any health problems that could be causing this. Listen to everyone's advice and pray about which to follow, which advice is what is right for your daughter. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnmo3bb
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Is she active? Is she nursing less since you started solids? How's your diet? Are getting good fats? Are you petite? Can you get a 2nd opinion? 

usmc.momma
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Wow my 5 month old is 14 pounds and was 7.9 at birth. I wouldn't give the rice cereal. Maybe try more fatty solids. Good fats like avacado and sweet potatoes. Is she hitting her milestones?? Good luck momma!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofava2012
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:37 PM

She isn't crawling, but her doctor said she's reaching her milestones.  She looks healthy, nurses well and loves her solids.  I always nurse first, then offer solids.   She doesn't nurse less.  I'm not petite :)   Well, i'm 5ft 4 and about 20 lbs overweight ..lol   As for my eating.. what should i add to my diet?  I'm willing to do whatever.. because obviously i want the end result and that is for her to be gaining weight and healthy.   I'm just not sure what advice to follow !  I'd do the avacado with her and myself.. she loves sweet potatoes.. she really is a good eater and nurser.   I'm just feeling really worried ! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)