Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

told to supplement.. feel like crying..

Posted by   + Show Post

So, my daughter will be 7 months May 10th.  She was 7lbs 11 oz when she was born and within a couple days lost 11 oz.  She was 12 lbs in Feb.  She had a well child check today and she weighs 11 lbs 15 oz.   Her doctor said that after i nurse her i should try giving her 2 oz of formula and if she drinks that offer more.  This is supposed to be done everytime i breastfeed.  Plus she said to give rice cereal 2 times a day.  She wants to check her weight again in 2 weeks and if she doesnt gain then wants to do blood work!  I cried all the way home.  I want her to be heatlhy and gain weight..i just really didn't want to have to do it with formula.  She has tried a few solids..  mainly some avacado, bananas.. sweet potatoes, carrots.. i've cooked apples and she's tried some of those.. but mainly nursing.  and always before she eats obviously.  My other issue with feeding her anything besides the breast is she will not take a bottle.  I've offered a sippy cup and she mainly chews on it.. etc. 

Any advice ?

by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Replies (41-49):
momofava2012
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Quoting Daynaof3:

Nothing has changed? No birth control started? No dietary supplements?
I agree with Tabi, back off on solids and nurse often round the clock. Has the doctor's scale been recalibrated or replaced?

The only things that are different are she sleeps all night and she is eating some solids.  Nothing has changed with me though.  Not sure about the scale.. i guess i didn't even think about asking that.  I'm going to back off the solids and try to talk to a LC tomorrow.  She has plenty of diapers so i know she is getting enough.  She is meeting all her milestones as well.. she looks good, is alert.. etc..

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Doctors have zero amount of training in breastfeeding! Your milk is perfect. Definitely try no solids for a bit. Doc can't force you to do anything!! I saw that you mentioned she started sleeping through the night, I bet she needs more nursing sessions during the day! Don't be afraid to get a 2nd opinion if you feel doubtful of this doc.

Quoting momofava2012:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

When did you start solids? Her weight gain was on the low side, but doesn't seem off by much. I'm really thinking solids are a playing a factor in this. My opinion, cut out most solids, and definitely no cereal. Breastmilk has more fat and calories than solids, cereal, and formula. Offer breast more frequently, and if you can nurse and then supplement with your milk, it's be way better than formula.
Also was she weighed on the same scale? How are her diapers? I feel like there could be an issue with the scale...

Quoting momofava2012:

Quoting melindabelcher:

can we have a full weight history on her?
If shes active and meeting milestones that immediately makes me less concerned. I would prefer blood work over supplementing.

Birth- 7lbs 11oz  ..  she lost 11 oz shortly after birth

2 months- 8lbs 14oz

3 months- 9lbs 13oz

4 months -10lbs 9oz 

5 months - 12lbs... 

in between 5 months and now.. she hasn't gone above 12 lbs..  and today like i said.. she was 11lbs 15 oz.. 

The doctor made a comment about my breastmilk possibly not having enough calories/fat.  Which breaks my heart, if thats the problem.  I will back off of solids and nurse her more.. she already nurses alot i think :)   i feel like i'm going against doctors orders?  and i'm worried that if i do the wrong thing and she doesn't gain.. then blood work will be ordererd and i'm not sure i can handle that !  ugh.. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nursetiffany.
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:26 PM
No advice. But good luck! Hugs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Does she eat the solids on her own?  Does she have meat?

hfs1998
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Have you seen a dr lately?  My fourth baby had something similar happen - no weight gain for a couple of months (I think it was about 3 months), floppy-ness, etc.  Turns out that I had hypothyroidism.  It had been okay during pregnancy but she didn't gain between 4 mos and 7 mos because I just wasn't producing quite enough.  I produced enough that her diapers seemed okay and her complacent personality didn't raise any flags that another child would have (crying, etc).  So if I were you, I'd get myself checked out AND I would definitely do the bloodwork for your baby sooner rather than later.  It really isn't a big deal - a momentary pinch and some crying.

SLOmommy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:25 PM
Not saying this is it, but I've heard that a food allergy can cause malabsorption (i. e. celiac disease). Just mentioning it as she started on solids and I also didn't see that option discussed.
Good luck and best wishes!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angeldolphine
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Then your doctor doesn't know about breastmilk and the differences between formula and breastmilk. 2 ounces is an entire feeding and your baby would be on formula rather then breastmilk. He obviously has never studied the differences and doesn't understand how stupid that is. He doesn't realize how little nutrition rice cereal has either. His advice is like telling you to feed your child fast food and cake and doughnuts to make your child fatter and healthier. 

You may be over feeding her with the pureed foods. I bet it is making her feel more full, so she is drinking less. I would stop giving her purees. You can give her peices to pick up herself to try. Instead of going to all the work of pureeing it, just steam and cut up really small. That way the majority of her food is breastmilk. Before I supplimented, I would stop purees, keep her near me so that if she wants to nurse at night, she can and I would have the bloodwork done to make sure it's not some other health reason.

Sounds like you are doing everything correctly. You want to be nursing straight from the breast so that your baby's saliva tells your body what is needed, which you are since she won't take anything else. It does have more calories and fat then formula or rice cereal and is way better for your baby. You said she started sleeping through the night at five months. Is she in another room? Did she do that on her own?

You can also tell the doctor you are giving her rice cereal and formula and see if he changes his thinking...I would personally ask for the bloodwork just so I KNOW nothing is wrong with her.

Quoting momofava2012:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

When did you start solids? Her weight gain was on the low side, but doesn't seem off by much. I'm really thinking solids are a playing a factor in this. My opinion, cut out most solids, and definitely no cereal. Breastmilk has more fat and calories than solids, cereal, and formula. Offer breast more frequently, and if you can nurse and then supplement with your milk, it's be way better than formula.
Also was she weighed on the same scale? How are her diapers? I feel like there could be an issue with the scale...

Quoting momofava2012:

Quoting melindabelcher:

If shes active and meeting milestones that immediately makes me less concerned. I would prefer blood work over supplementing.

2 months- 8lbs 14oz

3 months- 9lbs 13oz

4 months -10lbs 9oz 

5 months - 12lbs... 

in between 5 months and now.. she hasn't gone above 12 lbs..  and today like i said.. she was 11lbs 15 oz.. 

The doctor made a comment about my breastmilk possibly not having enough calories/fat.  Which breaks my heart, if thats the problem.  I will back off of solids and nurse her more.. she already nurses alot i think :)   i feel like i'm going against doctors orders?  and i'm worried that if i do the wrong thing and she doesn't gain.. then blood work will be ordererd and i'm not sure i can handle that !  ugh.. 

momofava2012
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Quoting Angeldolphine:

Then your doctor doesn't know about breastmilk and the differences between formula and breastmilk. 2 ounces is an entire feeding and your baby would be on formula rather then breastmilk. He obviously has never studied the differences and doesn't understand how stupid that is. He doesn't realize how little nutrition rice cereal has either. His advice is like telling you to feed your child fast food and cake and doughnuts to make your child fatter and healthier. 

You may be over feeding her with the pureed foods. I bet it is making her feel more full, so she is drinking less. I would stop giving her purees. You can give her peices to pick up herself to try. Instead of going to all the work of pureeing it, just steam and cut up really small. That way the majority of her food is breastmilk. Before I supplimented, I would stop purees, keep her near me so that if she wants to nurse at night, she can and I would have the bloodwork done to make sure it's not some other health reason.

Sounds like you are doing everything correctly. You want to be nursing straight from the breast so that your baby's saliva tells your body what is needed, which you are since she won't take anything else. It does have more calories and fat then formula or rice cereal and is way better for your baby. You said she started sleeping through the night at five months. Is she in another room? Did she do that on her own?

You can also tell the doctor you are giving her rice cereal and formula and see if he changes his thinking...I would personally ask for the bloodwork just so I KNOW nothing is wrong with her.

Quoting momofava2012:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Quoting momofava2012:

Quoting melindabelcher:

2 months- 8lbs 14oz

3 months- 9lbs 13oz

4 months -10lbs 9oz 

5 months - 12lbs... 

I do always nurse from the breast.  She won't take a bottle at all.  I'm not doing the formula or the rice cereal.  I'm just nursing her as often as she wants.. which is alot :)  but that's fine with me.   I did cut up some avacado for her and she maybe ended up with a little in her mouth..lol  I let her try it herself.   I didn't really think that with her eating the solids that she was nursing less.. at least it didn't seem that way.  She is a major comfort nurser too though.. idk.. The LC from the hospital hasn't called me back yet.. but one other time it took a few days.  I'm anxious to hear from her.. although i'm guessing she will say the same as most of you!   The funny thing about my doctor is she breastfeeds!  ugh.. not sure why she wouldn't know some of the things you all have said.. 

Angeldolphine
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Your doing everything right then, get that blood test!

Quoting momofava2012:

Quoting Angeldolphine:

Quoting momofava2012:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Quoting momofava2012:

Quoting melindabelcher:

2 months- 8lbs 14oz

3 months- 9lbs 13oz

4 months -10lbs 9oz 

5 months - 12lbs... 

I do always nurse from the breast.  She won't take a bottle at all.  I'm not doing the formula or the rice cereal.  I'm just nursing her as often as she wants.. which is alot :)  but that's fine with me.   I did cut up some avacado for her and she maybe ended up with a little in her mouth..lol  I let her try it herself.   I didn't really think that with her eating the solids that she was nursing less.. at least it didn't seem that way.  She is a major comfort nurser too though.. idk.. The LC from the hospital hasn't called me back yet.. but one other time it took a few days.  I'm anxious to hear from her.. although i'm guessing she will say the same as most of you!   The funny thing about my doctor is she breastfeeds!  ugh.. not sure why she wouldn't know some of the things you all have said.. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)