Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

nursing to sleep and night gas?

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:54 PM
  • 4 Replies

First things first, a little brag: LO and I are about to celebrate her first 12 months of BF! We had a really tough go of things to start, and I am sooo glad we stuck it out. We slowly started her on solids at around 7 months, and now she's eating what we eat during the day, along with her sippy full of healthy BM, and generally she's a happy kid. I have oversupply so we're going to be able to make it to a year no problem! So, that all being said, here's my question:

Lately I've noticed her waking up a few times at night in some distress. If I pick her up and she passes enough gas, then she goes back to sleep (though I still usually feed her at least once at night). I still nurse her to sleep, and the wakeups seem to be about 3 hours after she falls asleep. I've tried burping her but she doesn't seem to burp when asleep, but she burps fine during the day. Could the gas be due to not getting burped? Or is there some other reason? We give her gas drops with her solid meals during the day but they don't seem to help...

by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:56 PM
Maybe she's having issues with some solids that she's eating?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EvergreenMama
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:07 PM

That was my thought at first, but it doesn't seem to matter what we feed her. She could have completely different food from one day to the next, but the same thing happens every night.

As an almost related note, could teething cause gas? She's had her front teeth for awhile, so molars are next. This has been going on for a few weeks, but could teething be the issue?

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:12 PM
Teething can definitely cause gas! All the extra saliva they're gulping down, they end up with air bubbles. Not sure how to to about helping with it tho, you said you're already giving gas drops. Hopefully some more experienced mama's can help. My dd is almost 14 months and her first tooth popped through about 2 days ago, but we haven't had any troubles like that. Good luck mama!!

Quoting EvergreenMama:

That was my thought at first, but it doesn't seem to matter what we feed her. She could have completely different food from one day to the next, but the same thing happens every night.

As an almost related note, could teething cause gas? She's had her front teeth for awhile, so molars are next. This has been going on for a few weeks, but could teething be the issue?

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
camdenp10
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:58 PM

My son nursed until he fell asleep until we weaned. :) he had awful gas (alot of tummy problems) but he never really burped. I would pat and pat forever and he would never burp. When she is drinking out of the sippy, make sure she is actually drinking and not just sucking in air. My son done this so now we have to buy the sippy cups with the straw all the way down inside the cup bc he does now want to turn the cup up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)