Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Waking to nurse every hour!

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:19 PM
  • 44 Replies
He's 7.5 months old. Has never slept through the night. TWICE in his life he has slept for four hours straight. Usually it's every 1-2 hours all night long waking up to nurse. About 6 weeks ago I moved him into his crib, thinking maybe if the all-you-can-eat-buffet was in another room maybe he wouldn't be eating all night...? But no. I was a zombie going up and down the stairs every time he woke, so after 4 weeks of it not getting any better I moved him back into my bed. Now he's waking up even more to nurse! :(

I CAN'T let him CIO. If I try to comfort him back to sleep w/o nursing it takes over an hour, so i get NO sleep! but if I just nurse he's back to sleep in 10 minutes.... But I feel like if I keep nursing him all night every time he wakes he's NEVER going to learn to sleep!!

I don't know what to do. I haven't slept in 7 months! (more if you count the fact that I was in preterm labor and up all night having contractions for 18 weeks before he was born!) I'm too tired to think straight about this.

Both my other kids slept through the night by 6-8 weeks! (both were ff 1after 6 weeks/ and 1 from birth)

HELP! Please! Help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyssa414
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 3:21 PM
And I KNOW- if you want sleep you shouldn't have kids, but this seems a little extreme... I'm not a bad mom. I'm so glad that I'm nursing on demand and successfully EBF- I'm just so tired...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NicholeLoraine
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Tried a pasi? Maybe that would sooth him enough to sleep
Just a shot in the dark
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jocelynred
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:24 PM

can you set him up in his own space in your room so that you don't have to go up and down steps all night? 7.5 months is a long tome to be a zombie. so sorry for you!

K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 2, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Can you offer to nurse him more often during the day?  That helped to cut our night feedings down from 10 (at one point) to 3-4 (which I found very doable).

Elyssa414
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 3:25 PM
He does take a paci, but it doesn't put him back to sleep at night. Thank you for the idea!

Quoting NicholeLoraine:

Tried a pasi? Maybe that would sooth him enough to sleep

Just a shot in the dark
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 3:26 PM
I've tried that too, but then every time I move in my bed he wakes up. Having him in my bed is the most sleep possible. Thank you for responding!

Quoting jocelynred:

can you set him up in his own space in your room so that you don't have to go up and down steps all night? 7.5 months is a long tome to be a zombie. so sorry for you!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 3:27 PM
I will try that! Thank you. He's so busy now that he rarely wants to get a good nursing session in during the day. I'll offer it all the time though and see if that helps!

Quoting K8wizzo:

Can you offer to nurse him more often during the day?  That helped to cut our night feedings down from 10 (at one point) to 3-4 (which I found very doable).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Christiansmom44
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:36 PM
That's awful. I remember that my second soon didn't sleep through the night until he was 9 months old, and I felt like a zombie all the darn time! My daughter is only 4 weeks old, and she has woken every hour to eat since birth, except during her growth spurt. I hope it doesn't last that long this time.

I wish I had some kind of awesome advice for you, but the only thing I could think of is the paci. I'm of no help whatsoever, sorry. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jocelynred
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:40 PM

i understand. with my 1st he slept best in my arms until he was around 6 months. that's when he got more squirmy and we both slept better with him in his own space. my dd on the other hand always slept in her own space. she liked to sleep swaddled in her pack n play. but she was a very noisy sleeper. she made lot's of grunting and squirming noises which would wake me up. then as you said my waking up would wake her up. finally, i ended up putting her pack n play in my walk in closet with the door open. this was the best solution for us. she was close by. also we only have 2 bedrooms and i wasn't ready to put her in the room with her big bro. but she was far enough away from the bed that i didn't hear her every move and she didn't hear my every move. she started sleeping through the night! she would go down around 7pm, i would wake her around 11 to nurse before i went to bed, then she would go back to sleep til 6/7am. again good luck! 

Quoting Elyssa414:

I've tried that too, but then every time I move in my bed he wakes up. Having him in my bed is the most sleep possible. Thank you for responding!

Quoting jocelynred:

Bitterroot
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Poor you!  I remember those days well, although mine slept at least 3-4 hour stretches by 3 months of age.

Honestly, if you can give him a bottle of formula just before bed, he might sleep for 4 or 5 hours.  I know, you enjoy EBFing, but you gotta sleep, Mama!

Your son has reaped the wonderful benefits of EBFing for quite some time.  I'd supplement with formula just before bed.

doesn't make you a bad mom at all!  makes you a more able-bodied mom.

Hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)