Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Waking to nurse every hour!

Posted by   + Show Post
He's 7.5 months old. Has never slept through the night. TWICE in his life he has slept for four hours straight. Usually it's every 1-2 hours all night long waking up to nurse. About 6 weeks ago I moved him into his crib, thinking maybe if the all-you-can-eat-buffet was in another room maybe he wouldn't be eating all night...? But no. I was a zombie going up and down the stairs every time he woke, so after 4 weeks of it not getting any better I moved him back into my bed. Now he's waking up even more to nurse! :(

I CAN'T let him CIO. If I try to comfort him back to sleep w/o nursing it takes over an hour, so i get NO sleep! but if I just nurse he's back to sleep in 10 minutes.... But I feel like if I keep nursing him all night every time he wakes he's NEVER going to learn to sleep!!

I don't know what to do. I haven't slept in 7 months! (more if you count the fact that I was in preterm labor and up all night having contractions for 18 weeks before he was born!) I'm too tired to think straight about this.

Both my other kids slept through the night by 6-8 weeks! (both were ff 1after 6 weeks/ and 1 from birth)

HELP! Please! Help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:19 PM
Replies (41-44):
mehargval
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:53 PM
Sounds exactly like my daughter. The first 18 months of her life were hell. She's four and a half and still wakes up at night. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shyneika
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:01 AM

You don't have to feel guilty about wanting sleep. It's our natural human bodily function to NEED sleep. I don't know what you should do. I'm a first time mom-to-be. I'm going to breastfeed, so I just read ya'll blogs to see what type of things ya'll go through so I have an idea about what to expect. Maybe you could ask for help (if you have someone there to help), Maybe pump and let someone else feed for you so some nights you can get some rest. I'm sure it'll past. Good Luck Momma. :)

TattoodMommy19
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:41 AM
Supplementing with formula would be the opposite of helpful. Most likely it would give baby gas since formula is much harder to digest which means mom will still be up all night.

Quoting Bitterroot:

Poor you!  I remember those days well, although mine slept at least 3-4 hour stretches by 3 months of age.

Honestly, if you can give him a bottle of formula just before bed, he might sleep for 4 or 5 hours.  I know, you enjoy EBFing, but you gotta sleep, Mama!

Your son has reaped the wonderful benefits of EBFing for quite some time.  I'd supplement with formula just before bed.

doesn't make you a bad mom at all!  makes you a more able-bodied mom.

Hugs!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
milmil06
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:02 PM
Wow and I was complaining bc mine was waking up two times a night lol I talked to my dr about she said if I kept nursing at night on demand basically he was just training me to do what he wants she advised I have my husband go in at night when he woke to comfort him because if I walk in the room he obviously will smell me and would prob be a lot more difficult to comfort bc he will smell what he wants I felt bad having my husband do that bc I'm the sahm that's my job to take care the kids plus my husband gets up at 400 am but I also started increasing his solids and that helped a lot now he either wakes up extremely early like 530 to nurse and goes bk to sleep until 730 is but still sometimes hell wake up between 12 and 230 but try increasing his solids so he is getting more fattie food obviously good fattie food so it doesn't digest as fast
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN