Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

When to stop?

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:27 PM
  • 9 Replies

When should you stop breastfeeding a child? And when you wean them from the breast do you still bottle the milk and feed that way? And then when do you completely wean them off the milk?

Life is brief but when it's gone love goes on and on.
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on May. 2, 2012 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Everyone's answer will be different, and it totally depends on your goals and what you want to do.   The basic answer to when to stop breastfeeding, is "when you or the child feels like stopping".  

To avoid using formula... minimum of 12 months.... but you can go as long as you and/or baby want after that.

My personal minimum is 2 years.   I want to nurse for at least 2 years and then they can wean whenever they'd like after that.    I've never been very successful with pumping, and it tends to only get harder as the child gets older, so no, I don't pump after they've weaned from the breast.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
awilliams77
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:55 PM
There is no "correct" age for weaning. It depends on the child/mom/family situation.
In our family, I nursed our 4 children for 14 mo, 19 mo, 27 mo, 30 mo. Only used an occasional bottle of pumped milk if we had a sitter. At weaning, they were drinking from a cup and eating table food. That's what worked for us!
JoyfulMommy1221
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:01 PM
With dd, we nursed 16 mos. I wanted to let her self wean. My minumum was a year. Dh and I wanted to try for another baby and we had issues with preterm labor with dd so I knew we had to wean before we could ttc. Dd decided not to ask for a week. The next week, she started asking again and I was done so I gave her a bottle with cows milk and cuddled her. It worked for us! Baby 2 is coming any day now and I plan to bf for that long or longer. I plan to really let this one self wean since we're not going to ttc again. We're done with having babies =)

I agree with pp. You have to do what is right for you and your family. There is no one right way!
Danita42
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:03 PM
Its what is comfortable for you.
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 2, 2012 at 5:14 PM

1. My children will stop breastfeeding when they're done.(sometime after 2yrs)

2. Nope no point in giving them a bottle when the tap works just fine and i wouldn't put milk in a bottle for a 2 yr old :)

3. I wean them off the milk when they wean off my breast :)

Daynaof3
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:09 PM
The answer to the first question is individual, for as long as you are comfortable is the best answer I can give. Hopefully that is at the very least a year but as far past that as you like is great! If your breastfeeding and decide to stop hopefully it's after the first year and your little one can go straight to a cup, although if it's before a year a cup is still a good option over the bottle. Weaning from the breast doesn't have to be mother led, though that is an option, it can be child led also. If you are more comfortable with pumping at any point it is an option as well, though I will warn it is harder work than direct nursing. I wouldn't suggest it unless you had no other choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Randomtrixie
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:50 PM
You can nurse as long as you both want to. If they wean before age 1, then you. Need to give formula in place of breastmilk until at least 1.

Most women find exclusively pumping to be a huge amount of work compared to just nursing. Also your body responds better to the baby than to the pump so it's harder to get milk from just pumping.
For my kids I think if 2 years as a good amount of time...that said, DS self-weaned at 20 months.

Mom to a 3.5 year old DS, 41", 36 lbs, and now FFing.

DD, VBAC October '11, future ERFer!

Radian Superlatch Problems?

I believe in science!  That's why I vaccinate, EBF, and ERF!

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 2, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I think the ideal way to wean is to wait until your child is done, and breastfeeding should be a minimum of two years according to WHO.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 2, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Neither clock nor calendar is involved here. However you want!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN