Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Newborn poo-update

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:48 PM
  • 10 Replies
I know bf babies can go awhile without going poo, but what about a newborn? My baby is a week old and has yet to poo since her 2 merconium diapers a week ago at the hospital. She is happy, sleeps well, & doesn't seem constipated. She has plenty of wet diapers. Is there a point when it's a problem?

Update- we woke up this morning to a full poo diaper. It was darker( and thicker, but not like merconium.

I'm going to call the LC who works up at the breastfeeding clinic at the hospital, today. She has a dr appt tomorrow, for a check up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 2, 2012 at 5:17 PM

This is a prob newbies should be pooping at least every other day.

Daynaof3
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:36 PM
For a newborn I would be concerned, how often is she nursing? Are you nursing on demand? How is her latch? What color are the wets? Clear or dark? Do they smell strongly? I would get in to see an IBCLC right away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NicholeLoraine
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:43 PM
Wow my lo pooped like crazy as a new born
I'd call the pedi
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoyfulMommy1221
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:46 PM
I agree with pp and be concerned...
amerslynn
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:25 PM
Yep, on demand every hour or 2 for 15-30 min. Her latch seems fine to me. I can hear her swallowing.

Her wets are clearish to yellowish, not to dark. No smell. About 6-8 a day.

I just talked to her doctor and he wasn't to concerned. He said to do a rectal temp on her and see if that helps things get going. We have an appt on Friday already so he will see her then.

Is there anything else I could do to see if it helps?

Quoting Daynaof3:

For a newborn I would be concerned, how often is she nursing? Are you nursing on demand? How is her latch? What color are the wets? Clear or dark? Do they smell strongly? I would get in to see an IBCLC right away.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkiebabii
by Jennie on May. 2, 2012 at 7:30 PM
My ds didn't poop from 3days old until 10days old and his pediatrician said that was perfectly fine. Now his has a tiny staining in each diaper but only has a large bm on Sundays and tuesdays. He is 3 weeks and 4 days old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkiebabii
by Jennie on May. 2, 2012 at 7:32 PM
I wanted to add that he did poop 12 times his first 24 hours then nothing again until day 3.

Quoting pinkiebabii:

My ds didn't poop from 3days old until 10days old and his pediatrician said that was perfectly fine. Now his has a tiny staining in each diaper but only has a large bm on Sundays and tuesdays. He is 3 weeks and 4 days old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daynaof3
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:11 PM
She is nursing often enough, but the yellowish urine and no poop still concerns me. I urge you to see an IBCLC, they can assess things and make sure all is well. It could be nothing is off and things are going great, but I always say to err on the side of caution. It's better to be safe than sorry. If it were me I would see the IBCLC.

Quoting amerslynn:

Yep, on demand every hour or 2 for 15-30 min. Her latch seems fine to me. I can hear her swallowing.

Her wets are clearish to yellowish, not to dark. No smell. About 6-8 a day.

I just talked to her doctor and he wasn't to concerned. He said to do a rectal temp on her and see if that helps things get going. We have an appt on Friday already so he will see her then.

Is there anything else I could do to see if it helps?

Quoting Daynaof3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this

No poop at this age is a HUGE red flag for not getting enough milk. Baby should have at least 2-5 poops (at least the size of a quarter) every 24 hours for at least the first month. Baby shoud be checked by the doctor asap.

LKRA
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I'm with the chicas.

Get her to an IBCLC pronto.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN