Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

how long to get back to birth weight?

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:01 PM
  • 34 Replies

on average how long does it it take for a baby to get back to their birth weight?

my son is 9 days old.  he is getting plenty of pee diapers but is down to one stool a day.  i supplement (donor milk)once mid morning if he isnt poopy when he wakes up (2oz) and once at night before bed to try to get him to poop before we go to bed.  my lactation consultant wants 3 poopy diapers a day so should i up his supplement?  he seems to be gaining okay but not stooling enough.  i also can increase the domperidone but have only been taking it a few days so i am not sure if its a little early to do that.

here are his weights so far:

birth weight: 8 pounds 10 oz

lowest weight: 7 pounds 12 oz

weight pre tongue tie on day 7: 7 pounds 15 oz

tongue clipped day 8

weight today on day 9: 8 pounds even

by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brandy85412
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I want to say by 2 weeks they should be at birth wieght.... but don't quote me

looks like hes gaining fine....

piwife
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:07 PM
2 wks but did you get iv fluids during birth?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 7:09 PM
First off dont count poopy diapers seperate from wet diapers, it a TOTAL of at least 6 diapers in 24 hours (soaked and poopy count as two). Stop supplementing it is not needed! Give 2-4 weeks for birth weight but as long as there is gain dont worry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkiebabii
by Jennie on May. 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM
My son wasn't up to his birth weight until 3 weeks but it usually takes 2 weeks.
We have had no problems with bf at all so it may take your ds even longer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM

nope i had a homebirth so no meds although he did look really puffy at birth.  my lc said that some babies naturally retain more fluid than others so he might have a higher loss because of that.  i also have supply issues so that would contribute as well.

Quoting piwife:

2 wks but did you get iv fluids during birth?

tansyflower
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:14 PM

he wasnt stooling at all because of my supply issues which is why the lc wanted me to ignore wet diapers and weight loss and supplement according to poopy diapers instead.  yesterday i decided to cut out the supplement and he didnt poop at all in a 30 hour time period until i gave him some supplement last night and then again this morning.  i know my medication is working but i might not be taking quite enough at this point or it hasnt kicked in all the way.

Quoting Nicolle_09:

First off dont count poopy diapers seperate from wet diapers, it a TOTAL of at least 6 diapers in 24 hours (soaked and poopy count as two). Stop supplementing it is not needed! Give 2-4 weeks for birth weight but as long as there is gain dont worry.

sreichelt26
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I've never heard it recommened to supplement to poopy diapers - is she an LC or IBCLC. That just seems weird to me.

Otherwise, I second everything Nicolle said

Quoting tansyflower:

he wasnt stooling at all because of my supply issues which is why the lc wanted me to ignore wet diapers and weight loss and supplement according to poopy diapers instead.  yesterday i decided to cut out the supplement and he didnt poop at all in a 30 hour time period until i gave him some supplement last night and then again this morning.  i know my medication is working but i might not be taking quite enough at this point or it hasnt kicked in all the way.

Quoting Nicolle_09:

mama02040608
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:17 PM
2-3 weeks for normal loss, up to 4 if loss was greater than 10-12%
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:22 PM

she is an ibcblc.  after his birth he only had one bowel movement and wasnt getting any colostrum to pass the rest of his meconium.  i started supplementing on day 3 (if i remember right) with an sns to help him stool.  i have a supply issue and started the domperidone on day 3 as well....it took about 2-3 days to see any results but it can take up to a week or more to see the best results along with nursing on demand and lots of breast compressions.  the thing that concerns me is when i stopped the supplement altogther he didnt poop at all.  at this age he should be pooping every day which makes me think i should increase my meds.

Quoting sreichelt26:

I've never heard it recommened to supplement to poopy diapers - is she an LC or IBCLC. That just seems weird to me.

Otherwise, I second everything Nicolle said

Quoting tansyflower:

Quoting Nicolle_09:

pinkiebabii
by Jennie on May. 2, 2012 at 7:24 PM
My ds didn't poop from 3days old to 10days old. It is normal for breastfed babies not to have a bowel movement for several days. Some babies even go a 2-3 weeks without a poop.

Quoting tansyflower:

Quoting Nicolle_09:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)