Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi... new... and SO rant on public feeding

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:45 PM
  • 10 Replies

hello. I my name is Shay and I live in upstate SC and I have three kids 3yo, 2yo, and 6mo. I have been married for almost 4years to my high school sweetheart. My DD is the first child I have BF past 1 month. So its really new to me and totally awesome, wish I would've kept up with it with my other two. which the most awesome thing ever is my DD is 6mo and almost 18lbs!!!!

And my hubby hates when I feed publicly or in front of friends if its my friends I either cover and depending on who it is I am nursing in front of nothing at all. I have pretty much told him he needs to get over it and if they don't like it tough. And DD hates her cover with a passion plus it doesn't help it distracts her cause she wants to chew on it. I have told him that she needs to eat and I can't help it if we are out and about and she wants to nurse. I have BF publicily several times (without the hubby around of course he would flip)... He is slowly getting there... But eh... I have just a few more months to go as I have just started mushy solids and man... she loves her food... lol

NICE TO MEET YOU ALL

by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tatumsmommy0123
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry that he isn't supportive. I can't imagine how that must feel. My hubby is awesome about NIP! Maybe tell him to go hungry for a while just because y'all are out in public?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 2, 2012 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this
hello and welcome! congrats on nursing 6 months so far!

My DH doesnt like nip either. He gets really paranoid. i do it anyways and try and be as modest as possible especially when he is around. I have a sling and I try and nurse in a shirt the pulls up and an undershirt underneath. However he is still paraniod. We dont have a choice because my babies refuse bottles and I do not give bottles unless I leave them....which they dont take anyways. I still nip with my 19 month old who does eat solids and drinks out of a cup. But for my kids they come first before anyones comfort. I am not doing anything wrong by meeting their needs at home, with friends or out in a public place. Hopefully with time and more experience your DH will understand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 2, 2012 at 11:53 PM
oops I meat ur SO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessicaeboyes
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:54 PM
I'm sorry to hear that :( this is the longest I've gotten to nurse, it's only been a month but my son wouldn't work for it so only got to nurse him a few weeks. I'm a little shy about nursing in public and my husband is the opposite, he's always like "she's hungry and you need to feed her don't be shy"
Maybe ask him if he'd rather pay for formula? Breast milk is so much better for them :)
hope things get better for you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rattlesnail
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Yeah he is my DH... I forgot that abbr. I just put SO. lol. Yeah I still do it anyways in the mall, at the park, downtown. I don't have nursing shirts so I just use a cover. It is new to him cause this is the longest I have ever BF our kids. He went ballistic when I BF at chucky cheeses one night. I told him to get over it and if anyone felt uncomfortable that I would tell them to go BF in the bathroom its a pain in the butt

misslady80013
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:15 AM
My SO is weird about it too. :-( He says others may feel uncomfortable. I told him I am gonna cover myself and feed my son if others don't want to see it, they can look the other way! Tell your DH he can make boob decisions when he grows some and lactates!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 3, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Mine tried covering me ONCE. And noticed that he was attracting an awful lot of attention from everyone around me, sort of like hanging a neon sign. After that, I never covered... and was NEVER noticed by ANYONE. until the day I nursed in a Chinese restaurant while eating with chopsticks! The owner was delighted.

Mel0dy
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Yayyyy for Breastfeeding 6 months :) I'm at the 6 month mark aswell and we also just started solids. DD loves eating big girl food hahah and I love watching her eat. I'm sorry your Dh feels that way, but I think you are handling it great :) Just keep doing what your doing. maybe he'll wake-up and smell the coffee lol

heathercm26
by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:21 AM
My df tried to cover me all tge time. One day he poked mama bear a little too much. He was being a nag....cant that wait....laying a blanket over us.....getting out the nursing apron....standing blocking us....suggesting the bathroom.....telling me to go sit in his grandmas room by my self for pretty much all of easter. ROAR. I dont even remember what i said but it wasnt pretty. He hasnt mebtioned it since.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Do you do the 2-shirt method? Maybe show him at home how LITTLE skin is shown while nursing, versus the big ol'cover.

I guess I am lucky because my DH has never said anything to me, other than "will you give that kid a boob?" when we are out. He is way more okay with NIP than CIP (crying in public). :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)