Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Aching milk ducts

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:32 AM
  • 4 Replies
My 2 month old son is efficient when it comes to nursing that's for sure. So efficient that my milk ducts are hurting afterwards. We just recently worked on a latching issue, so any ideas on how to ease my pain?
Julie Pickett
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
livewell
by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:34 AM

Are you making sure the boob is not "sagging" or "stretching" in a sideways motion? if you picture the boob as being full of marbles around a central straw, you want to keep the straw straight as possible :) A good nursing bra helps.

preacherskid
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 6:42 AM
Do they feel hard or warm anywhere? Is the pain an achy or sharp pain? First thoughtvis warm compresses, some light massage, and tylenol if all else fails :)
lilmama479
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:22 AM
I am thinking its the bra, I will look into a more supportive bra. Thanks.
3gardenias
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:51 AM

Does your nursing bra have a full frame on the inside? Those can compress the nerves at the sides and top of your breasts (right around the cut out in the middle sometimes the openings don't stretch to allow changes in breast size during the day. Compressing the nerves can make you feel like your ducts are aching. Damage to them can affect milk production as the messages don't get sent properly and the milk pools in the breast because the message to release breastmilk when feeding isn't strong enough. I wore that style with my first baby as I didn't know any better and had to have treatment because of it. t know now the 'aching ducts' feeling was the beginning of nerve damage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)