Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I have to bf and subsitue with fourmla

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:55 AM
  • 30 Replies

I am looking for someone who has or had to bf and subsitue with fourmla.. I am looking for someone to relate to.. im a ftm and a little confused and getting some mixed signals from the ppl i usally get advice from..

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2bRN007
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Why are you supplementing? Not being rude just trying to get the back story :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 3, 2012 at 8:04 AM

I had to supplement with formula in the beginning with my current nursling.  He was severely dehydrated and had no diapers at all on day 3 and I was unableto pump even a drop... so I had to start formula.  I nursed him first at every single feeding and then gave him his supplement afterwards using a bottle, but many people use an SNS to give supplements to avoid nipple confusion.  By the time he was 5-6 weeks old he was up to 27 oz of formula supplement but around that time whatever issue was causing his weak, uncoordinated suck suddenly got better and we were able to start reducing supplements.  By 11 weeks, we were back to ebf and he never willingly took a bottle again (had 1 of pedialyte prior to surgery at 8 mos old, but he fought me trying to get to boobs for about 20 minutes before he gave in).

Can I ask some questions to get an idea of what's going on with you and baby?  Why did you start supplementing?  How much supplement is he getting?  Are you able to pump to use your own breastmilk to supplement?  How are you giving the supplements--bottle? sns at the breast? before/during/after nursing?  How much formula are you giving at one time?

seamonkey419
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:05 AM

We've been supplementing with formula at night. It just seems to work for us and it allows me to sleep. Pumping hurts to much for me so we just supplement. I don't really care what other people say that is just what works for us. Don't worry about what people tell you I breast feed her during the day and there is plenty in there. Shes only a week and 2 days and she takes both the boob and bottle well.

hfs1998
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:46 AM

I had to supplement for awhile with my little guy.  It happens.  We worked hard to reduce the supplementation until it was gone all together.  The problem is that supplementation often is a slippery slope to weaning before mom had planned.

LKRA
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 8:58 AM

This.

You may not NEED to use formula. Perhaps you just need additional info on what to expect when you're nursing.

With that being said, I used both with my first when she was little because I didn't know any better. Once I educated myself, I stopped. And my youngest has never had formula.

Quoting mommy2bRN007:

Why are you supplementing? Not being rude just trying to get the back story :)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 3, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Its a slippery slope and your guy is still very young, why would you need to suppliment this early?

vermontchic
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Okay so the back story is.. when he born he was 8 14oz and when i brough him home he was 8 10oz and at his first check up he dropped to 8 7 oz and i was told to add some fourmula bottles in becuase i had  expressed that i am pumping but i am not really getting anything..( i have been pumping sience i came home from the hospital becuase i felt as if i was gunna sufficate lil man becuase i am naturaly large brested) my supply hadnt come in yet.. and when supply came in i started pumping more and feeding him brest milk during the day and fourmla at night (it is just easiest this way). and at his last appointment the docter didnt say to stop fourmla so i have continued..  he seems to be doing fine.. and now that he has grown bigger.. i have tried getting him to latch on.. which he does fine.. but he will only nurse for like 5 mins then detach fussing.. and i try a few more times usally and when he wont stop fussing i will either pump enough to fill a bottle or just worm up milk from the fridge..

but i guess my main question currently is in regards to his poop... his poop currently is like a greenish yellowish color and has that seedy look to it.. the doctor saw his poop at his last appointment ( he pooped in his appointment) and stated that it is normal.. that was at week old.. and  i was chatting with a friend of mine who brestfeed said that it is a sign of a milk allergy.. i  just want other moms opinion  on this issue.. we do have a doctors appointment this after noon and i am gunna speak to the doc...

also with suppulenting.. he usally poops at night time with fourmla.. and the doctor said that is normal.. that the more brestmilk he gets the less he will poop if he is taking in all the nurtrants from the brest milk.. but yesturday he hadnt pooped at all.. and after 24hours of not pooping i broke down and gave him some karo syrupe in a bottle.. and he finally pooped.. but i was recently told that karo syrupe isnt good for kids anymore. that it is being linked to autisum and adhd and few other things i cant rember exactlly.. has anyone heard any of this..

vermontchic
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Quoting K8wizzo:

I had to supplement with formula in the beginning with my current nursling.  He was severely dehydrated and had no diapers at all on day 3 and I was unableto pump even a drop... so I had to start formula.  I nursed him first at every single feeding and then gave him his supplement afterwards using a bottle, but many people use an SNS to give supplements to avoid nipple confusion.  By the time he was 5-6 weeks old he was up to 27 oz of formula supplement but around that time whatever issue was causing his weak, uncoordinated suck suddenly got better and we were able to start reducing supplements.  By 11 weeks, we were back to ebf and he never willingly took a bottle again (had 1 of pedialyte prior to surgery at 8 mos old, but he fought me trying to get to boobs for about 20 minutes before he gave in).

Can I ask some questions to get an idea of what's going on with you and baby?  Why did you start supplementing?  How much supplement is he getting?  Are you able to pump to use your own breastmilk to supplement?  How are you giving the supplements--bottle? sns at the breast? before/during/after nursing?  How much formula are you giving at one time?

i only make 2 oz bottles of fourmal at a time becase he is only drinking 3 oz - 3.5oz at a time..

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 3, 2012 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting vermontchic:

Okay so the back story is.. when he born he was 8 14oz (142 oz... 14-17 oz loss expected here) and when i brough him home he was 8 10oz and at his first check up he dropped to 8 7 oz (he was way more than fine... no need for formula) and i was told to add some fourmula bottles in becuase i had  expressed that i am pumping but i am not really getting anything..( i have been pumping sience i came home from the hospital becuase i felt as if i was gunna sufficate lil man no need to worry about this... laidback positions may make you feel more comfortable, but you're not going to suffocate him becuase i am naturaly large brested) my supply hadnt come in yet.. and when supply came in i started pumping more and feeding him brest milk during the day and fourmla at night (it is just easiest this way). and at his last appointment the docter didnt say to stop fourmla so i have continued..  he seems to be doing fine.. and now that he has grown bigger.. i have tried getting him to latch on.. which he does fine.. but he will only nurse for like 5 mins then detach fussing.. and i try a few more times usally and when he wont stop fussing i will either pump enough to fill a bottle or just worm up milk from the fridge.. this sounds like nipple/flow preference, which you can outstubborn--the milk is obviously there!  When he fusses, switch him to the other side and then switch back to the first side when he fusses again... back and forth, back and forth, back and forth until he's done.  If he gets hungry again, latch him again.

but i guess my main question currently is in regards to his poop... his poop currently is like a greenish yellowish color and has that seedy look to it.. the green is from the artificial iron in the formula, unless he's completely ebf you're going to continue to see green the doctor saw his poop at his last appointment ( he pooped in his appointment) and stated that it is normal.. that was at week old.. and  i was chatting with a friend of mine who brestfeed said that it is a sign of a milk allergy.. i  just want other moms opinion  on this issue.. we do have a doctors appointment this after noon and i am gunna speak to the doc...

also with suppulenting.. he usally poops at night time with fourmla.. and the doctor said that is normal.. that the more brestmilk he gets the less he will poop if he is taking in all the nurtrants from the brest milk.. but yesturday he hadnt pooped at all.. and after 24hours of not pooping i broke down and gave him some karo syrupe in a bottle.. and he finally pooped.. but i was recently told that karo syrupe isnt good for kids anymore. that it is being linked to autisum and adhd and few other things i cant rember exactlly.. has anyone heard any of this.. karo is a no-no because it can contain botulism spores (like honey) that can kill infants.  At 3 weeks old, he may start spacing out his poops a little bit and that's okay.  No more trying to make him poop with anything except breastmilk (it's a natural laxative)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 3, 2012 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting vermontchic:

Okay so the back story is.. when he born he was 8 14oz so normal loss would be down to 7lbs 15 oz to around 8lbz evenand when i brough him home he was 8 10oz and at his first check up he dropped to 8 7 oz and i was told to add some fourmula bottles in becuase i had  expressed that i am pumping but i am not really getting anything..( i have been pumping sience i came home from the hospital becuase i felt as if i was gunna sufficate lil man becuase i am naturaly large brested) my supply hadnt come in yet.. and when supply came in i started pumping more and feeding him brest milk during the day and fourmla at night (it is just easiest this way)how much are you expressing a day? How many ounces? How often do you pump?. and at his last appointment the docter didnt say to stop fourmla so i have continued..  he seems to be doing fine.. and now that he has grown bigger.. i have tried getting him to latch on.. which he does fine.. but he will only nurse for like 5 mins then detach fussing..ok this is because he is used to the fast flow of the bottle, if you refuse the bottle and switch sides over and over when he starts to fuss he will get used to it adn do fine and i try a few more times usally and when he wont stop fussing i will either pump enough to fill a bottle or just worm up milk from the fridge..if he nursed then theres no need to give a "full bottle" plus everytime you give that bottle he is learning if he fusses enough he will get it.  AND when you miss a full feed you HAVE to pump

but i guess my main question currently is in regards to his poop... his poop currently is like a greenish yellowish color and has that seedy look to it.. the doctor saw his poop at his last appointment ( he pooped in his appointment) and stated that it is normal.. that was at week old.. and  i was chatting with a friend of mine who brestfeed said that it is a sign of a milk allergy..could be, but formula messes up poop anyways i  just want other moms opinion  on this issue.. we do have a doctors appointment this after noon and i am gunna speak to the doc...

also with suppulenting.. he usally poops at night time with fourmla.. and the doctor said that is normal.. that the more brestmilk he gets the less he will poop if he is taking in all the nurtrants from the brest milk.. but yesturday he hadnt pooped at all.. and after 24hours of not pooping i broke down and gave him some karo syrupe in a bottle.. and he finally pooped.. but i was recently told that karo syrupe isnt good for kids anymore. that it is being linked to autisum and adhd and few other things i cant rember exactlly.. has anyone heard any of this..

Karo syrup is a bad idea..more breastmilk is the good idea.  If a baby is backed up from formula BM will help them go.  After about 2-3 months BM is fully dgested and they poop less but as a newborn BF babies poop generally with almost every feed.

If baby will nurse, and that is what you want to do then DO IT! FOrget bottles, forget formula...try 48 hours of nothing but the breast.  Watch diapers and make sure he gets atleast 6 a day and everything should be FINE.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)