Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

One of the many reasons I chose to breastfeed and continue to do so is to give dd the protection of my antibodies since she goes to daycare.  I thought that she'd hardly ever get sick, which has turned out to be completely not the case.  She had a cold for three months straight this winter, she had hand/foot/mouth, and she's had a fever at least twice a month for the past 6 months.  She has a low grade fever today and had to stay home from daycare again.  She was home for a whole week just two weeks ago!  Maybe that's normal for a breastfed daycare baby, but that just feels like an awful lot of sick time.

I guess I can only imagine how much more often she'd be sick if she didn't get breast milk, and she's never had an ear infection (knock wood), but I can't help feeling like my milk isn't working for her! 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:09 AM
Replies (21-22):
levansbx
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:34 PM

True!

Quoting luvhubandbabys:

Rather her go thru it now then when she's in school. Ya know.

JoyfulMommy1221
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd would get sick every time the kids I took care of got sick. I was a nanny for the first 1.5 year of her life. The difference was that she would have everything less. Her colds went away faster, her symptoms never got as bad, and the times the colds would turn into something worse for the kids, she never got worse.

I agree w pp who said it isn't about NOT getting sick, it is about being better able to fight it off =) Keep breastfeeding her! =)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)