Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Need some help please...newborn question

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:53 PM
  • 13 Replies

My daughter is 5 days old. She was born weighing 5lbs 6oz and is down to 4lbs 13oz which the doctor wasnt to concerned about and we go for a weight check on the 11th.

My question is when she is breastfeeding she starts off slow then it sounds like she is chugging my milk. I am assuming this is during let down (I cant feel my let down not sure if thats normal or not)  but she sometimes drinks so fast she chokes herself.

Is this normal or is this a problem and how do I fix it?

by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
robibuni
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:55 PM
The choking is normal to a degree but that typically means overactive letdown. Try block feeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaysonsmommy15
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:55 PM

What is block feeding? Sorry new to this breastfeeding thing even though she is my third baby.

Quoting robibuni:

The choking is normal to a degree but that typically means overactive letdown. Try block feeding.

melindabelcher
by mel on May. 3, 2012 at 12:56 PM

It could be an overactive let down. She may adjust to your flow as she gets older for now try to nurse with you reclined or laying down so baby is on top or side laying. If that doesn't help you can hand express your let down into a washcloth then latch her.

melindabelcher
by mel on May. 3, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Block feeding is for oversupply not overactive let down. Sometimes a overactive let down can be caused by an oversupply but i would just manage the letdown for now. If it becomes apparent you have an oversupply later that can be adjusted then

Quoting jaysonsmommy15:

What is block feeding? Sorry new to this breastfeeding thing even though she is my third baby.

Quoting robibuni:

TTC2Long
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Look up over active letdown on kellymom. Also, I don't feel much during my letdowns. My breasts will swell a little and feel a little engorged, but that's it. I can tell by the change in his sucking/swallowing pattern. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:59 PM
Laidback nursing will help with OAL :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kittiecat88
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:00 PM
I have the same problem! My poor baby always ends up coughing and choking so when I hear her start to chug I take my breast away and let her catch her breath then I have her re-latch idk if that's good to do, I am also new to breastfeeding
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaysonsmommy15
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:09 PM

So is it normal not to feel the let down? I tried breastfeeding my son 5 years ago and I can kinda remember a pulling sorta feeling when I had my let down. I dont feel anything this time around.

melindabelcher
by mel on May. 3, 2012 at 1:17 PM

totally normal. Theres multiple let downs during a nursing session. some women feel none some feel the first and then non of the other ones some feel let down so trong its borderline painful

Quoting jaysonsmommy15:

So is it normal not to feel the let down? I tried breastfeeding my son 5 years ago and I can kinda remember a pulling sorta feeling when I had my let down. I dont feel anything this time around.

eckielady
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Trust me, I wish I didn't feel my letdown (Kind of...it is useful out in public to know when it's coming). Mine feels like my nipples are on fire while getting pierced. My lc had never heard of it feeling like that but it hurts really bad sometimes. Other times it's not too bad.

Quoting jaysonsmommy15:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN