Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

my 2 month baby needs surgery on his skull..

Posted by   + Show Post

My almost 2 month son had to go to see neurology doctor I thought everything was going to be fine.. boy was I wrong.. she told me he had.. Sagiltal synostosis.. that means his soft spots closed up to soon.. so They r going to have to cut the bone on the top of his head out.. so that his head can grow normally.. if he doesn't get it done his head will grow front to back not side to side.. I am a single mom so all this is freaking me out.. he will have to be in the hospital and wear a helmet to protect his head for 4-5 months.. please some support ladies.. I am so scared

5/9/12

Hey We Had The Appointment With The Plastic Surgeon it went well me and my parents asked tons of questions she was great i really feel confident placing him in her care.. he is doing the non invasive route.. and he will be getting it done at 3 months so anytime after June 6th i will make the apt.. I am extremelyscared but ready for this to be all over with.. thank you so much all ur in site has helped me so much.. and i will update u when i get anymore information and I will send pics after its all said and done with... <3 Much Love Morgan & mason..

<3 Mason Lee Shanks.. 1st Son <3
by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM
Replies (41-50):
MommyOfTheBest2
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Well mama it looks like no matter how scary, you are going to have great results! Lots of love coming from cafe mom and lots of ladies with similar experiences. Stay strong and take it day by day. Rely on those here who care and those you have in real life to support you and listen to your fears. I don't know you but I love you and your little one and I can't wait to read your updates all the way to removal if that cute little helmet!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atherianos
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:44 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm an RN and I take care if these children after surgery all the time. She will be fine. Just a couple things to prepare u for. First the facial swelling on the second and third day is really bad, but don't worry it's normal and goes away....her eyes will swell shut, and she'll look different..all normal. Second don't be afraid of the pain meds, she needs them, too much pain slows healing, and for the first 24 hours you should ask that she gets morphine as often as the MD will allow. Try not to wait till she is crying in pain. Many children after this surgery are not given pain meds because they are sleeping but then wake up in a lot of pain. I'm hoping this info helps, I'm not trying to make u worry more I just want u to be informed so u can be prepared. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamaj323
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Ya know? That's a good point.  There probably was one at my son's too.  I was just told that they didn't need to use one like they would have with the other.  I'm sure they would have wanted to be prepared for anything though.

Quoting Duquesne:

There was a plastic surgeon helping with my son's endoscopic surgery. Maybe some neurosurgeons like them there while they remove the skull fragment?

Mamaj323
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:01 AM

This is good advice! 

And thank you for what you do!  The nurses in the PICU made all the difference in the world to me. 

Quoting atherianos:

I'm an RN and I take care if these children after surgery all the time. She will be fine. Just a couple things to prepare u for. First the facial swelling on the second and third day is really bad, but don't worry it's normal and goes away....her eyes will swell shut, and she'll look different..all normal. Second don't be afraid of the pain meds, she needs them, too much pain slows healing, and for the first 24 hours you should ask that she gets morphine as often as the MD will allow. Try not to wait till she is crying in pain. Many children after this surgery are not given pain meds because they are sleeping but then wake up in a lot of pain. I'm hoping this info helps, I'm not trying to make u worry more I just want u to be informed so u can be prepared. Good luck

atherianos
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:50 AM
Thanx, I really hope it's helpful:-)

Quoting Mamaj323:

This is good advice! 

And thank you for what you do!  The nurses in the PICU made all the difference in the world to me. 

Quoting atherianos:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 8, 2012 at 8:17 AM

HUGS momma, better to catch it early than late...everything will be ok momma

MorganShanks
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Yes The Plastic Surgeon Will Be Present.. I am Having The Appointment With Him Tomorrow to discuss The Details.. No sleep tonight for me my mind is going to be racing..

Quoting Mamaj323:

Yes there is a time limit.  After four months you can not have the endoscopic surgery.  There is definately a shorter recovery time and less risk of infection.  Also there is no need for a plastic surgeon to be present for facial reconstruction with the endoscopic procedure.  If it is an option I would strongly recommend it, but of course the choice is ultimately yours, mama.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

In my friends case there was an age limit for doing endoscopic surgery. That may not be the case for all babies, but I know in many cases they need to be below a certain age.

Recovery from endoscopic surgery IS shorter than a sugery where they cut open the entire head. Yes, they still need to wear the helmet for the same amount of time, but that is different from recovery from surgery. Any endosco[pic surgery is going to be less invasive and have a shorter post-surgery recovery time than a surgery where the body is completely opened up. A few small slits on the scalp versus being cut and opened from ear to ear is going to have different post-op recovery times, not to mention less scarring.

Quoting Caitlin_mommyx3:

It isn't a time limit that dictates the type of surgery. They are just two approaches to correcting it. Both are risky and both have their own set of complications vs advantages.

I disagree on recovery time though... After a cvr that is it. Endoscopics have to wear the helmet for up to a year.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

My friend just had this done with her son a few months ago. She was able to maintain EBF the entire time (not a single bottle!).

She was fortunate in that because he was under a certain age (3-4 months?) they were able to do it endoscopically, meaning just two small cuts instead of cutting open the whole head. I would encourage you to ask about how it will be done, and find out if there is a doctor near you who can do it endoscopically. That way is realatively new, but it means a much shorter recovery time.

I think she's on cafemom, I'll send her a link to this so she can chime in.

MorganShanks
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:52 PM

thank u this helped a lot.. <3

Quoting atherianos:

rebeccasmommy09
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 6:56 PM
I'm sorry momma. :( They thought my first dd may have had that but tests showed she just had a small head (like my entire family). I know it's scary but everything will be fine in the end. *hugs*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
placidic
by on May. 17, 2012 at 6:54 PM

My baby is 4 months old and will see a neurosurgeon on May 29th for the same thing.  His ped thinks that's what he has, but he hasn't been diagnosed by the neuro yet.  We just got his xrays done today.  Hugs to you! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)