Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

RSV, Bronchitis, Pnuemonia HELP

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:43 PM
  • 6 Replies

Me and my fellow "Nursing Partner" mom both have babies with RSV.  Her baby is five months and the RSV turned to pnuemonia.  My baby is five weeks, and it turned to Bronchitis.  We don't know where they picked it up, but they both went from FINE to ER in less than 12 hours!

It's just getting rough.  I went over there to support her yesterday, and she was giving a bottle of formula, saying she'd already gone through her pumped supply and was just too upset and irritated to keep nursing/pumping right now.  Poor girl was nearly in tears!

I know what she means, though.  I have to stop nursing to suction DS's nose several times a feeding, he's constantly breaking the latch because he can't breath, and he spits up so much when he coughs violently, even though I'm nursing more often for shorter times.  Her DD is on antibiotics, my DS is on an inhaler.  This isn't easy at all!  Both babies wake up choking and snorting about every 20 mins no matter what we try.

I'm just upset.  I need support through this, DH can't be here, and I'm left with a crying, constantly nursing AND spitting up baby, and my Nursing Buddy just hit the formula wall.  I tried to tell her BM was best, and even offered her some of my stash, but she got super defensive and I backed down.

At the worst of times, I have fed DS with a dropper b/c his diaper count went down, and that worked out alright.

I'm just at my wit's end.  I would love some cheering up, or ideas or just a distraction!

And prayers/happy thoughts for my friend.  I'm really hoping she comes around before she loses supply.  I couldn't even talk her into pumping or expressing.

by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Paradys
by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:22 PM
I hope it gets better soon. You're doin a great job!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
casanderson1
by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:26 PM
Good luck to both of you, and good job BFing even through the hard times. It will get better, I was born with RSV and was hospitalized a lot but my parents got through it, and I turned out fine. I do have horrible asthma but i deal with it just fine. I'll keep you all in my prayers.
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Hang in there mama! You will get through this and when you do you'll be so glad that you continued to breastfeed through it.

Drop everything that is not required to sustain life!

ShadowLark
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 8:17 PM
Definitely keep nursing! Everyone BUT my newborn had the flu, and I think nursing is what kept him safe. That and the good fortune of me being one of the first sick, so that I had the antibodies to give him. Hugs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fahmom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Hang in there. Breastfeeding is the best thing for your LO especially now. Keep the nasal passages clear when nursing by suctioning out babies nose and mouth and either using saline drops/spray or breastmilk. Maybe nursing more frequently for shorter periods might help. I wouldn't restrict nursing though, just encourage it more often. Put baby on an incline to sleep.

They did this when my DS was hospitalized. They tested for everything from Pneumonia, Pertussis, Bronchitis, RSV, and many others. His oxygen level was in the 70's when we were admitted. They never had a diagnosis but he spent 4 days in the hospital and was sick for 3 weeks. He lost nearly 2 lbs but they never insisted on supplementing nor an IV. He was on oxygen, only given one breathing treatment, and treated for Pertussis with antibiotics because it took 7-10 days to get the test results. Turned out he never had it.

It is not unusual for diaper count to be down. As long as your LO is nursing and having some output I wouldn't be overly concerned. I'm afraid if your friend is neither expressing or pumping she may loose her supply. Try and encourage her if you can. Keeping you both in my prayers.

JEB1175
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:29 PM
I am so sorry:( my DS had rsv but he was 6 months, it was awful. I nursed him in an upright posistion right after I used saline drops and suctioned his nose. The drops seemed to help get more out when I suctioned so he could nurse longer. He also had an inhaler that worked better than the nebulizer they gave me. He wouldn't keep the mask on his face. It was 2 weeks of hell! I feel bad for u because your baby is so young. Just keep remembering it will get better! Hugs to you and baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN