Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Weight loss help!

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:00 PM
  • 22 Replies
Matthew is 6 months and has been ebf he does take a fruit in the morning and a veggie in the afternoon, but NO FORMULA EVER! He went to his check up today and lost almost a pound since March, the doctor mentioned supplementing with formula and I told him no way in hell that was going to happen. I'm not against it my dd was ff after 4 months because of self weaning. But I want to go a year if I can. So what do I need to do? The dr wants an ounce a day in a month so 30oz or 3.75lbs! He's happy and fed on demand, and I don't know what to do. Oh and he weighted 15.75 today. Thanks for the help.
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 3, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Almost 16 pounds, that's a pretty good weight for a 6 month old. By the typical "double by 6 months" notion, that's better than the standard 7 pound newborn it's based on, who would weigh 14 lbs. Perhaps your baby had a growth period at was greater than average and now you've got a typical stall while things level out. What is the weight history, from birth as well as lowest? How are milestones? How is diaper count?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Is it the same scale?

Can you give us a complete weight history?

What is his daily diaper output?

Anything change since March with your helath, medications, birth control?

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 3, 2012 at 10:08 PM
And a pound a month AVERAGE (some months will be more and other months will be less) is the usual goal. 30 ounces is 1 pound and 14 ounces, nearly double what everyone looks for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaDee83
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:09 PM
I always feel like doctors are so quick to suggest formula... Is your child eating and growing? Is he developing normally? If the answers are yes, then WHY does he have to take more VIA formula supplementation? Ultimately, I would *mostly* do what the doc says, but not after trying to see how he does for a bit first. Can you just try pumping more first? Idk... Blah! Good luck!!
wife_mother1790
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:09 PM
He was 8.2 at birth, and going steadily, hitting all milestones plus some. Has 6 teeth, loves table food, and his height is perfect, so idk what to do.
wife_mother1790
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:11 PM
I am pumping for when I'm at school, but I'm going to try to pump more and have dh fed him, he wont take it from me. And his diapers are great ever 2-3 hours for wet and 3 a day poopy
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 3, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Just checking, but solids should be fed AFTER a nursing session. Breastmilk is the primary source of nutrition and calories for thte first year. Many babies start to slow gain when solids fill them up instead of milk.

Quoting wife_mother1790:

He was 8.2 at birth, and going steadily, hitting all milestones plus some. Has 6 teeth, loves table food, and his height is perfect, so idk what to do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Was he weighed on the same scale? If so, cut back on solids and nurse more. Doc is out of his mind thinking he should be gaining an oz a day!!! Minimum gain a week is 4 oz., averaging about a pound a month. 30oz gain in one month for a 6 month old is ridiculous and unrealistic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 3, 2012 at 10:14 PM
What was the lowest weight? And other weights at other appointments?

Quoting wife_mother1790:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

You want an average of a pound a month (6 lbs) over lowest weight. Even with the loss, he's 7.5 lbs and that's over birth weight, not even lowest weight.

So his weight is fine. The "loss" could be because the scale was off or because he's mobile.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)