Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

He will only take one..

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:06 PM
  • 16 Replies

DS2 3 months old will only nurse on my left breast..If I put him on my right he gets mad and refuses to nurse..When I put him to my left he's happy and nurses every feeding that way..What am I going to do about my right breast? If he never nurses or not much nurses on the right will I lose my milk? If I pump the right will it cause a over supply?

by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gradyshaha
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Always offer the least favorite side first.  Make sure it's not too full and tight.  If it is, express enough to soften the breast and slow down your flow.  It's okay if he gets mad, he'll get happy again.  Those little toots just have minds of their own.  Be patient with him and be the boss.  Good for you for "human feeding" your little one.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 4, 2012 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Just offer, don't sweat it. This is all normal stuff. Previous responder hit it right out of the ballpark.

Know that you could nurse off one side only forever and it is not a problem.

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Just keep offering the not preferred side. He will probably take it again eventually. I always give the unwanted side while they're sleep nursing.
And if he never nurses of that side again, you'll be fine. It's still supply & demand :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daynaof3
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:55 AM
Has he always done this or is it new? Is the side he prefers your "overachiever"? If it is, try compressions on the other side when nursing. Is he teething? Has he been sick?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newbabystarr09
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:04 AM

He has been doing this off and on for awhile where he wants the left not the right..Yes, The side he prefers is my overachiever..He's been teething..and having a tummy ache with lots of gas..He lets his gas when I bicycles his legs to his chest then he feels better...He's been doing a lot of comfort nursing and fussy..

Quoting Daynaof3:

Has he always done this or is it new? Is the side he prefers your "overachiever"? If it is, try compressions on the other side when nursing. Is he teething? Has he been sick?

boysrablessing
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:11 AM
1 mom liked this
My ds 10M has ALWAYS prefered my right side. I pumped all I could out of my left everytime i fed him from my right. Now he will at times take the left side but im so used to him eating off my right that I just put him on the right most times lol. Sometimes my right breast will get more full the my left when my milk lets down but no biggie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 5, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Have you tried just sliding him from the left to the right without flipping him? If you nurse on the left in a cradle hold, try the football hold on the right so he is laying on the same side. He might be uncomfortable laying on the other side for some reason. This can sometimes be a sign of an ear infection.

Daynaof3
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:16 AM
How is nursing feeling for you? Any soreness? Does baby have a diaper rash? Reason I ask is because thrush can cause gassiness and refusal to nurse. Teething can cause the nursing issues you are talking about too, but just want to let you know to watch for thrush just in case.

Quoting newbabystarr09:

He has been doing this off and on for awhile where he wants the left not the right..Yes, The side he prefers is my overachiever..He's been teething..and having a tummy ache with lots of gas..He lets his gas when I bicycles his legs to his chest then he feels better...He's been doing a lot of comfort nursing and fussy..

Quoting Daynaof3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armybratmom612
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:19 AM
My ten week old does that too. My supply is pathetic on that side. I'm visibly a full cup size smaller on that side now and she just refuses to nurse. The only time I can get her On my left side is sleeping laying in my bed without waking her up. I have her "sleep" nurse
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newbabystarr09
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Yes, I have tried to hold him football even upright..He will suck for a few sec and pull off the nipple and fight me and cries..So, I would just put him back to the left and then he is fine nurses,happy and smiles at me coos and sometimes goes to sleep

Quoting aehanrahan:

Have you tried just sliding him from the left to the right without flipping him? If you nurse on the left in a cradle hold, try the football hold on the right so he is laying on the same side. He might be uncomfortable laying on the other side for some reason. This can sometimes be a sign of an ear infection.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN