Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

could D-Vi-Sol Vitamin D cause baby's tummy to ache?

No iron just vitamin D drops

by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:30 PM
Replies (21-30):
littlemonaghan
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Yes. It reeked havoc on my dds yummy when she was tiny. Shes 10 months now and it doesn't upset her. I don't like giving it to her st all but we live in Seattle
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
libby261
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Unless you live in the very southern part of the US, that is not going to be sufficient, especially if the baby is deficient (the doctor can test it 25-hydroxy).  Every day, not 3 times a day in the sunlight + vitamin D supplementation.  The optimal levels for vitamin D is 65-80ng/ml.  Most people in the US are deficient. www.vitamindcouncil.org

Right. But it only takes 1 hour per week COMBINED to make enough vit d. After that the body stores it. How do you think people in cold climates have survived all this time with MONTHS of no direct sunlight? Lol. So take 3 20 minute walks a week or play at the park. Just don't use sunscreen, at least not for the first 20 minutes. I would drop the drops. I never used them.
Quoting Randomtrixie:

Quoting mamabens:

You CANNOT get vitamin D by sitting by a window. Your skin needs UVB rays to make vitamin D, and only a tiny fraction of UVB rays penetrate glass.

Clouds also greatly reduce UVB rays.

Randomtrixie
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting TTC2Long:

Because most people in northern climates were historically outside for way more time, working for many hours a day outside with no sunscreen, plus they ate winter diets that included things like organ meats and fatty fish. You cannot equate that lifestyle with a 20 minute walk to the park.

Plus before the modern era, you had a skin tone to match your latitude. But if you are AA and living in Detroit, you are not physically able to make enough vitamin D no matter how much you're in the sun.

Most Americans are badly deficient in vitamin D.

Mom to a 3.5 year old DS, 41", 36 lbs, and now FFing.

DD, VBAC October '11, future ERFer!

Radian Superlatch Problems?

I believe in science!  That's why I vaccinate, EBF, and ERF!

Gruntlings
by Sarah on May. 5, 2012 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

D is very misunderstood. Both on the "OMG YOU NEED IT!" and the "You don't need it" sides.

Quoting mamabens:

wow, that's the first time I've heard that in almost 3  yrs  since I've been in this group.

Quoting Randomtrixie:

Quoting mamabens:

You CANNOT get vitamin D by sitting by a window. Your skin needs UVB rays to make vitamin D, and only a tiny fraction of UVB rays penetrate glass.

Clouds also greatly reduce UVB rays.

Sarahsarah518
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this
My ped said to give her vit d drops... I was like why...we live in south Florida..she gets plenty of vit d! I have a hard time believing anything should be added to a breastfed baby. But that might just be me.. :)
angelbabies14
by on May. 5, 2012 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this
You need calcium to absorb Vit D, you need magnesium to absorb the calcium. You need a good balance of all vitamins and minerals to help each other perform its function. This is best attained by diet not supplements. Also the excessive use of cow's milk has caused major issues with vitamin and mineral absorption. It does not help, it harms. I believe that's why most Americans have low levels.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
libby261
by on May. 5, 2012 at 6:47 PM

It's the other way around.  In fact, vitamin d receptors are found ALL OVER THE BODY.  Having enough vitamin D protects prevents osteoporosis, depression, prostate cancer, breast cancer, (so does iodine btw   http://breastcancerchoices.org/iodineindex.html) and even effects diabetes and obesity.

Learn more:http://www.naturalnews.com/003069.html#ixzz1u2P0HyEj

Important co-factors:

Vitamin D cofactors

• Magnesium - Vitamin D's most important cofactor
  • Vitamin K - Helps keep calcium on the right track
  • Vitamin A (coming soon) - Only a tiny bit is needed to help vitamin D
  • Zinc - Helps vitamin D bind to its receptor
  • Boron - Helps alleviate symptoms of vitamin D deficiency
Quoting angelbabies14:

You need calcium to absorb Vit D, you need magnesium to absorb the calcium. You need a good balance of all vitamins and minerals to help each other perform its function. This is best attained by diet not supplements. Also the excessive use of cow's milk has caused major issues with vitamin and mineral absorption. It does not help, it harms. I believe that's why most Americans have low levels.

Randomtrixie
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting mamabens:

Sometimes things get repeated over and over that aren't actually true until everyone believes it. Ever notice how you don't get a sunburn from sitting behind a closed window? For the same reason, you don't get vitamin D either. No UVB rays.

Mom to a 3.5 year old DS, 41", 36 lbs, and now FFing.

DD, VBAC October '11, future ERFer!

Radian Superlatch Problems?

I believe in science!  That's why I vaccinate, EBF, and ERF!

silka08
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM
Ive never givrn vit d drops. Either we go outside a ton or I take enough to get into my milk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on May. 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I think after reading more I was confused between vit d &  jaundice. So maybe I was wrong there but I have gotten  a sunburn sitting by a window before. lol

Quoting Randomtrixie:

Quoting mamabens:

Sometimes things get repeated over and over that aren't actually true until everyone believes it. Ever notice how you don't get a sunburn from sitting behind a closed window? For the same reason, you don't get vitamin D either. No UVB rays.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)