Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

ok needing some ideas! help please!!

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:26 PM
  • 12 Replies

I am pregnant with #5 and i will be breastfeeding. we now make to much for WIC and sorry but there is NO WAY i am spending $100 on 7 cans of formula! actaully more than that with tax. anyway, i am wanting to go longer with this one. last baby i made it a little over 6 months! so proud of myself!! now the only thing im having trouble with (and its still a long ways away but i really need to make plans now) is that with my last one, DH was here with me to help with the other kids. so i had no problems nursing. but now he has a new job and is gone weeks to months at a time. so im just trying to figure out how to take care of 4 kids and nurse a newborn. if this baby is like my last who would nurse and then just use me as a paci then im in trouble lol! i have a ring sling and plan on using it alot. i guess im just nervous doing this all by myself. i would love to just sit down and nurse and not have to worry about my kids wanting something to eat or drink or a different movie or anything else. i dont know, maybe im just over reacting or something. so someone tell me everything is going to be ok. i think the most trouble im going to have is my 13 month old (he will be 20 months when baby comes). he is already jealous when i hold my sisters new baby. he tries to nurse still (just nothing comes out.....yet lol) and i wear him alot, so yeah, i think im going to have the most trouble with him.

by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elayna90
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 9:28 PM
I have heard wearing the baby will make things a lot easier.
I am curious as well because my husband is home only from 11pm-8am so most days I will be doing it all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 9:31 PM

i had 3 kids and a newborn, and it seemed like i wore him forever, and he nursed forever too...i think my boobs were out more than in that first 6mos...yes it will be a juggle at first, but you'll settle into a routine after a while. ... and the other kids are just going to have to get used to waiting or doing it themselves.  If they are old enough, theres no reason they can't help you now and then...even my 8yr old was a help to me with a newborn at times...he kept the others entertained and could help do little chores around the house. 

luvbeinamommy68
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Quoting emmy526:

i had 3 kids and a newborn, and it seemed like i wore him forever, and he nursed forever too...i think my boobs were out more than in that first 6mos...yes it will be a juggle at first, but you'll settle into a routine after a while. ... and the other kids are just going to have to get used to waiting or doing it themselves.  If they are old enough, theres no reason they can't help you now and then...even my 8yr old was a help to me with a newborn at times...he kept the others entertained and could help do little chores around the house. 

yeah, i have all young ones. when this baby comes my kids will be 6, 4, 2 (almost 3), and 20 months. my oldest is already a great help. and the 2 older ones will be in school so that will help a little. :) yep, i will deft. be using my ring sling!!

JamieLyn822
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:29 PM
It has been a challenge for me nursing a newborn and having my almost 3 year old by myself for several days in a row while dh travels for work. I just try to set her up with a snack or activity ahead of time before settling in to nurse. If I have to help her go potty or get her down for a nap while he's wanting to nurse, that's when it gets stressful. I just do the best I can but there's a lot more childrens screams in this house than there ever was before, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 4, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Quoting luvbeinamommy68:

so im just trying to figure out how to take care of 4 kids and nurse a newborn.

First requirement: SLING. Most important piece of baby equipment you can own after the car seat. Sling and car seat, you're done. **smile**  A sling lets you walk around while nurisng... you can't do that with a bottle!

if this baby is like my last who would nurse and then just use me as a paci then im in trouble lol!

Please read Gruntling's excellent "Letter to my daughter" on this subject. I'ts posted in this group. "Using as a paci" is normal and desired.

i have a ring sling and plan on using it alot.

AH! Shoulda read ahead. PERFECT!

i guess im just nervous doing this all by myself. i would love to just sit down and nurse and not have to worry about my kids wanting something to eat or drink or a different movie or anything else. i dont know, maybe im just over reacting or something. so someone tell me everything is going to be ok.

Yes, it will be fine. The five year old will likely be able to handle the change of movie, getting you some water, small things like that.

i think the most trouble im going to have is my 13 month old (he will be 20 months when baby comes). he is already jealous when i hold my sisters new baby. he tries to nurse still (just nothing comes out.....yet lol) and i wear him alot, so yeah, i think im going to have the most trouble with him.

Well, that's merely because you had the "gall" to get pregnant again. **grin** Toddlers are such selfish critters! I was a little older when my brother was adopted and I was a pain in my mom's butt, even though she formula fed. She finally decided if I was going to be that way I was going to be treated EXACTLY as my brother was... loss of toys, and NAPS. The last was the deal breaker! I learned that baby was baby and I was a big girl and never went back.

If there's anyone around to help you, get help. Admission to see the baby is a chore or a casserole, unless one is too young or too old. If someone offers to help, have them help with the older kids. Consider preschool programs for the ones old enough; it's good for them and helps you out too.

Daynaof3
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:27 AM
The sling will be a huge lifesaver! Really though I think you will do just great! God doesn't give us more than we can handle and moms as a group are fantastic at multitasking and problem solving. The biggest thing I would say is get organized. Prepare whatever you can in advance, ie what they will wear the next day, any meals you will need to have, etc. Have the older kids help out when they can, getting diapers, wipes, clothes, your sling, anything! Don't be afriad to ask for help from anyone willing to offer it. Involve your older kids in feeding time, have them read to you and baby(or pretend to read) or sing songs, color a picture for you. It will take some getting used to at first, there's always that adjustment period. If you aren't opposed you can let your older child nurse if he still shows interest, nothing wrong with that. =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
djsmommy13
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:44 AM

i just do it because i have to. my older kids have to wait if they want something. i make dinner and lunch right after the baby goes to sleep so i know he isnt going to want to eat right when i make dinner. him and my daughter are only a year and 4 days apart also.

carolyntx
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 3:32 AM

i have an almost 3 year old and 7.5 month old twins who both nurse. we've been home alone during the day since they got home from the hospital and yes it gets a little hectic and tricky at times. the sling will help so much! you'll also learn to nurse while multitasking.

i moved all the "kid food" to one bottom shelf in the pantry so he can grab snacks for himself, i did the same in the fridge with drinks and snacks so he knows where they are and can get for himself. i set up the living room as our central command if you will lol. we all hang out in here during the day so i can watch him while feeding babies. i keep books nearby my nursing spot so that if the movie goes off, or hes just craving attention then we can read a book. you dont know how many times i had a baby nursing (or two when they were younger) on and my son sitting in my lap reading books or just chit chatting! your other LOs will learn that when the baby is being fed its required of them to have a little patience and theyll accept that more readily than you may think.

soulofsunmama
by on May. 5, 2012 at 3:48 AM
I'm so impressed, you seriously make this almost sound easy!
Go Mama :S

Quoting carolyntx:

i have an almost 3 year old and 7.5 month old twins who both nurse. we've been home alone during the day since they got home from the hospital and yes it gets a little hectic and tricky at times. the sling will help so much! you'll also learn to nurse while multitasking.

i moved all the "kid food" to one bottom shelf in the pantry so he can grab snacks for himself, i did the same in the fridge with drinks and snacks so he knows where they are and can get for himself. i set up the living room as our central command if you will lol. we all hang out in here during the day so i can watch him while feeding babies. i keep books nearby my nursing spot so that if the movie goes off, or hes just craving attention then we can read a book. you dont know how many times i had a baby nursing (or two when they were younger) on and my son sitting in my lap reading books or just chit chatting! your other LOs will learn that when the baby is being fed its required of them to have a little patience and theyll accept that more readily than you may think.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvbeinamommy68
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:44 PM

thank you all so much! so many useful tips! i think im going to spruce up my living room to a day care setting lmao! :) i think im also going to invest in a nice size tub or basket or something and fill it with snacks and such. my kids LOVE those cuties (those little oranges). i dont trust my 4yr old in the kitchen. she has already proven it to me that she will get into everything else than what she is supposed to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN