Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My breastfeeding experience tainted...

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM
  • 13 Replies

I need to say this somewhere, I figured my breastfeeding fam would understand:

The highlight on my day (aside from the squeal of delight from my DD when I pick her up from daycare) is breastfeeding my daughter in the morning and at night.  In the morning, we sit in her room in my glider (a gift from my mom who had to breastfeed sitting up at a kitchen table chair and wanted me to be comfortable).  By the time we're done, the sunlight is starting to peak in through the blinds and illuminate my sweet baby's face with sunlight.  When she's done, she looks up at me and smile and says "wiaper," because she knows its time to change her diaper and get dressed.  At night, we sit in the same glider and I BF her to sleep.  Its our special time, in her sweet lavender little girl room.  A few days ago my mom got diagnosed with breast cancer.  I actually was the one who told her the diagnosis, and I've been the one explaining everything to family and friends - it has been a HARD week.  And to make it worse, I can't enjoy this breastfeeding time in the same way anymore.  I look at my breast and think of my mom and despite spending much of the day feeling as if I'm on the verge of tears, it is during my special breastfeeding time that the tears begin to flow.

by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
casey.foster09
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry. I wish I could offer better words but I know how tough it is, lots of breast cancer and other cancer runs through my family. It's tough. But one good testimony is all they had breast cancer in my family survived and are living wonderful lives. God bless
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:10 PM
I'm so sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:10 PM
3 moms liked this

Aw, hugs honey! 

Try to remind yourself when you look down and see your "working" breasts that you are decreasing both your breast cnacer risk AND DDs cancer risk in teh future by continuing to breastfeed. It will make your mom proud!

I hope things go well for your mom.

soulofsunmama
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Many positive thoughts for your family, one day at a time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvhubandbabys
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:11 PM

My mom was diagnosed 8 or 9 yrs ago she is in remission. there is hope!! Think positive like she will beat it.

moroccanmommy
by Robin on May. 4, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Hugs. Cancer is a hard thing to hear.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetDoc
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Thanks everybody! 

justone_jen
by Jen on May. 4, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Hugs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoyfulMommy1221
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:54 PM
*hug*
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 4, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Hugs and prayers. Do try to see this as your own effort not to follow in mom's footsteps. I think she would tell you to look at your breastfeeding as a positive thing because it does reduce your own risk.

Depending on how far along she is, this cancer can be very beatable. I hope that is the case for your mom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)