Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pumping at work

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:28 AM
  • 7 Replies

so i plan on going back to work when my baby is 8 weeks old. well my job doesnt like to do things the legal way so i know i wont be able to pump at work. i will be working anywhere up to 8 hours a day but plan on only working 2-3 times a week. how bad will this affect my supply and do you have any suggestions. im looking for a new job so i will be able to pump at work but until then i have to stay at my current job and also we only get to take a lunch if we arent busy so i probably cant pump at lunch

by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Daynaof3
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:30 AM
They don't really have the option to tell you no or to not give you a break for lunch! That's the reason there are labor laws and you should report them anonymously! Where do you work? What do you do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 5, 2012 at 2:32 AM

If the employer has more than 50 workers they are legally obligated... and you can haul them before the labor board. (Should anyway since they don't like to do things the legal way.)

Supply forever adjusts. You will be uncomfortable and probably will leak like crazy. You can pump and be back to work in as little as five minutes if you don't worry about cleaning things after pumping. Pump, toss everything in a plastic bag, done. That will be enough to prevent engorgement/mastitis.

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on May. 5, 2012 at 2:32 AM
They are required to allow you to pump by law. If they don't I'd let them know you're going to go to the labor board or get a lawyer if they can't give you 10-15 mins to pump. I work 2 nights a week overnight. So I don't try to pump at work. Mainly because Jacob usually doesn't take more than 2-3oz from bottle at night. And its only 2 nights a week. It doesn't affect my supply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
djsmommy13
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:34 AM

i work at beach hut deli and there is alot less than 50 people working there. i plan on turning them in but i want to find another job first

Daynaof3
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:39 AM
They cannot deny you breaks, even if they have less than 50 employees they must PROVE hardship to be allowed out of the pumping breaks. I would not wait, I would report them now.
As far as supply, I would try reverse cycling and pumping at home. If baby sttn, pump once or twice during the night. Pump one side while baby is nursing on the other first thing in the morning and/or throughout the day if baby typically takes one side a feeding. You must get bathroom breaks right? You can hand express for comfort during bathroom breaks, if you have something you can store in with you you can put it in a cooler or a fridge if you have one available.

Quoting djsmommy13:

i work at beach hut deli and there is alot less than 50 people working there. i plan on turning them in but i want to find another job first

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motheram
by Angie on May. 5, 2012 at 2:39 AM
1 mom liked this
But Beach Hut Deli is a chain. I'd report them to corporate. Even franchisees have to answer to corporate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 5, 2012 at 12:40 PM

If it's a chain, the 50-employee rule likely applies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)