Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I feel like I may be harming my daughter with this.. just seeing if anyone can help answer a question

Posted by   + Show Post

Does what I eat directly impact my daughter and her health? She is 5 weeks old and I am EBF: I'll admit I have not been eating so healthy lately. I am not trying to throw around excuses but I am doing vigorous online college classes and between her, my 6 year old and trying to pass my classes I swear I don't have time to cook great meals :( I have been eating fast food now and then and like having spaghetti-os for dinner and mac n cheese :'( Ladies I feel so horrible if the fat content in what I have been choosing to eat is not okay for baby :( I'm almost done with school (Just 2 more weeks till the end of the semester!) and then I will be able to focus more on healthy cooking. My mind is so wrapped up in research papers and tests it's just HARD :( so is what I have been eating very bad for her? I feel so guilty right now, like I havent been doing whats best for her :(

simple frown

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Replies (11-15):
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Frozen veggies can be added to Mac and cheese .... just throw in the pasta water a minute before you pull the noodles...

Apples and bananas are snacks you can eat in the car.

A can of beans, a few tablespoons of salsa and some shredded cheddar can be made in the microwave in 90 seconds.

I am super poor and busy, but healthy eating is a lifestyle choice, not an excuse. I work, go to nursing school and am a single mom m-f. I just find if I eat unhealthily, I am run down and more stressed. I choose to arm myself with good food precisely because I am too busy to not have energy!

You can do it, mama! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I found this related information from THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, 2003, pg. 436:  "Research from developing countries and other parts of the world indicates that even mothers who are mildly malnourished produce an adequate supply of good quality milk for their babies and only under famine or near famine conditions will a mother's nutrition affect her milk supply or the composition of her milk."

The composition of human milk is very similar all over the world, even comparing wealthy and impoverished women.  The body will use what it needs first to make the milk and what is left will go to the mother.  If mother is not eating enough of something it will take what it needs from the mother's reserves.

I hope this helps!

JoyfulMommy1221
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this
You're only hurting yourself. The baby will take nutrients from you kind of like in the womb, so you may be the one deficient in the end, not your child. Just get through these next two weeks and then you can focus on healthier eating. Make sure you're taking some sort of vitamin as well just so you don't end up hurting your body.
Gruntlings
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Your diet effects you, not her. Unless you have major deficiencies then your breastfeeding child will not be hurt. And usually you will see the effects of the deficiencies on yourself before your child is impacted. This is because your body will draw from your stores of vitamins and pass them on to baby to make sure baby is okay. 

Try buying some nuts and keeping them around the house and noshing on them whenever you have the urge. Fresh fruit keeps well in a lunchbox in your backpack. I always toss a bag of dried fruit and nuts into my backpack when I go out, and a few pieces of fruit such as apples, peaches or pears as well.

Rather than feeling guilty about your diet (which only hurts you), feel proud that you are breastfeeding despite the chaos and stress. :)

kittiecat88
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Quoting Gruntlings:

Your diet effects you, not her. Unless you have major deficiencies then your breastfeeding child will not be hurt. And usually you will see the effects of the deficiencies on yourself before your child is impacted. This is because your body will draw from your stores of vitamins and pass them on to baby to make sure baby is okay. 

Try buying some nuts and keeping them around the house and noshing on them whenever you have the urge. Fresh fruit keeps well in a lunchbox in your backpack. I always toss a bag of dried fruit and nuts into my backpack when I go out, and a few pieces of fruit such as apples, peaches or pears as well.

Rather than feeling guilty about your diet (which only hurts you), feel proud that you are breastfeeding despite the chaos and stress. :)

Thank you, I needed to hear that. :) And I will get some nuts tomorrow when I go grocery shopping. I do love almonds! :)

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)