Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I feel like I may be harming my daughter with this.. just seeing if anyone can help answer a question

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:14 PM
  • 15 Replies

Does what I eat directly impact my daughter and her health? She is 5 weeks old and I am EBF: I'll admit I have not been eating so healthy lately. I am not trying to throw around excuses but I am doing vigorous online college classes and between her, my 6 year old and trying to pass my classes I swear I don't have time to cook great meals :( I have been eating fast food now and then and like having spaghetti-os for dinner and mac n cheese :'( Ladies I feel so horrible if the fat content in what I have been choosing to eat is not okay for baby :( I'm almost done with school (Just 2 more weeks till the end of the semester!) and then I will be able to focus more on healthy cooking. My mind is so wrapped up in research papers and tests it's just HARD :( so is what I have been eating very bad for her? I feel so guilty right now, like I havent been doing whats best for her :(

simple frown

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vruby04
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Mary on May. 5, 2012 at 12:19 PM
http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-diet/

It’s common to hear women say that they want to wean (or not breastfeed at all) because they miss drinking coffee, or want to have an occasional glass of wine, or don’t like worrying constantly about everything they eat. Guess what? You can drink caffeinated beverages (in moderation), have an occasional drink, eat what you want and still provide your baby with the absolute best nutrition and immunological protection –mother’s own milk.

According to Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D., breastfeeding researcher and anthropologist, women throughout the world make ample amounts of quality milk while eating diets composed almost entirely of rice (or millet or sorghum) with a tiny amount of vegetables and occasional meat.

Are healthy eating habits recommended for mom? Absolutely! You will be healthier and feel better if you eat well. It is best for anyone to eat a variety of foods, in close to their naturally-occurring state, but this is not necessary for providing quality milk or for maintaining milk supply. Although it is certainly not recommended, a breastfeeding mother could live on a diet of junk food – mom would not thrive on that diet, but her milk would still meet her baby’s needs.

-------

Your diet affects your health more than it does hers. You are doing great!! Keep it up!! No worries!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Your diet affects YOU, not her. Your body will take what it needs to make perfect milk for your daughter, leaving you deficient.

Due to money, we aren't eating very healthy either right now - lots of rice and pasta, hardly any vegetables. My daughter just turned 1 and is still mainly bf, and the picture of health. I do take a multivitamin daily to help fill in the gaps I'm missing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kittiecat88
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Thank you SO much for posting that.. I feel so relieved. I have been feeling such guilt lately it had brought me to tears. You made my day! Thank you again.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-diet/

It’s common to hear women say that they want to wean (or not breastfeed at all) because they miss drinking coffee, or want to have an occasional glass of wine, or don’t like worrying constantly about everything they eat. Guess what? You can drink caffeinated beverages (in moderation), have an occasional drink, eat what you want and still provide your baby with the absolute best nutrition and immunological protection –mother’s own milk.

According to Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D., breastfeeding researcher and anthropologist, women throughout the world make ample amounts of quality milk while eating diets composed almost entirely of rice (or millet or sorghum) with a tiny amount of vegetables and occasional meat.

Are healthy eating habits recommended for mom? Absolutely! You will be healthier and feel better if you eat well. It is best for anyone to eat a variety of foods, in close to their naturally-occurring state, but this is not necessary for providing quality milk or for maintaining milk supply. Although it is certainly not recommended, a breastfeeding mother could live on a diet of junk food – mom would not thrive on that diet, but her milk would still meet her baby’s needs.

-------

Your diet affects your health more than it does hers. You are doing great!! Keep it up!! No worries!!

CafeMom Tickers
FLmommy0204
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Basically, your body takes what it needs to feed baby first.  You get what's left over.  So a poor diet affects you more than baby.  It's amazing how our bodies work. 

kittiecat88
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Thanks for replying! I have been taking a vitamin too :)

Quoting sreichelt26:

Your diet affects YOU, not her. Your body will take what it needs to make perfect milk for your daughter, leaving you deficient.

Due to money, we aren't eating very healthy either right now - lots of rice and pasta, hardly any vegetables. My daughter just turned 1 and is still mainly bf, and the picture of health. I do take a multivitamin daily to help fill in the gaps I'm missing.

CafeMom Tickers
justone_jen
by Jen on May. 5, 2012 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Have you tried a farmer's market? I get veggies at the market for about 75% less than the grocery store. Just a suggestion. :)

Quoting sreichelt26:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Jen on May. 5, 2012 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Eating poorly affects you. Baby will be fine. Someone posted the info I would have from Kellymom. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kathislove80
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I haven't been eating great lately either. Its just hard for me to cook and care for a new baby. I buy convenient healthy food...low fat granola bars, steam fresh veggies, peanut butter, hard boiled eggs are easy. I also make sure I keep my fluids up and take my multi vitamin. My baby seems to be doing great :) I'm sure once I get more in the swing of things I will be able to.balance it all better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this
It is good to get a well balanced diet so your body stays healthy. Try snacking on fresh veggies and fruits instead of unhealthy snacks.
I find it helpful if I plan the week ahead for meals and make meals that take less than half an hour to prepare. If you want any ideas, feel free to pm me, I love talking about healthy meals lol :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)