Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Newborn sleeping

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:40 PM
  • 8 Replies
My 2 week old is wanting to sleep for 5 hour stretches at night. She is EBF and I'm wondering if this is normal and if she is getting enough to eat. She does get 8-10 wet diapers a day and 2-4 dirty ones. Last night if I hadn't woke her up at 5 hours she would have gone even longer. Anyone elses baby like to sleep that much? I have been feeding her every 2-3 hours during the day though bc I want to make sure she's eating enough. I just worry so much when she goes so long without eating at night. I wouldn't worry as much if she were FF. thoughts?
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM
No need to wake unless there is an issue. Example jaundice poor weight gain. Enjoy the sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs_McK
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:52 PM
I think that this is ok as long as she is gaining weight properly and is happy. Just go with what baby wants to do unless your doc says other wise. When my dd weight was back to birth weight at first appointment doctor said I could go to on demand feeding instead of making sure she ate every 3 hours.
shelley11709
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:54 PM
As long as weight gain and diapers are good let the baby sleep!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adnasiou
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:13 PM
Well the only thing is we had gone in to the ped before 2 weeks bc of issues with her belly button and they had weighed her then and told me she had gained the 4oz in 5 days from release from the hospital and her ped said we don't have to come back for her 2 week appt. however she did not surpass her birth weight at the appt 5 days past. She was born 8lbs 13.5 oz and had lost some but at the appt she was 8lbs 7 or 8 oz. I wouldn't worry as much if I knew she was back to birthweight then I'd feel better about letting her sleep. Thanks for your input!
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 7:47 PM
Lucky! If no jaundice and good dipes, enjoy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tawnya.
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:55 PM
As long as she is gaining weight and healthy it should be okay. After speaking with my dd pediatrician my 2 week old was sleeping like that. Now she is 7 weeks and sleeps 8 hours. She is breast fed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 6, 2012 at 10:44 PM

You're perfect. And you've also just invoked the Curse... now that you've published the sleep pattern it will change!

As long as dipes are good you're good.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 6, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Quoting adnasiou:

Well the only thing is we had gone in to the ped before 2 weeks bc of issues with her belly button and they had weighed her then and told me she had gained the 4oz in 5 days from release from the hospital and her ped said we don't have to come back for her 2 week appt. however she did not surpass her birth weight at the appt 5 days past. She was born 8lbs 13.5 oz and had lost some but at the appt she was 8lbs 7 or 8 oz. I wouldn't worry as much if I knew she was back to birthweight then I'd feel better about letting her sleep. Thanks for your input!

At two weeks she should be four ounces above LOWEST weight. 4-6 ounces gain per week. Write down the birth weight and FORGET it... it's unimportant once lowest weight is reached. I wouldn't expect a baby of that birth weight to retrun to it till a month old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN