Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Sick baby not nursing well

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM
  • 15 Replies
My ds will be 3 months on wednesday. Hes really sick and it's going on 2 weeks. His diaper count is down, and I'm pushing nursing as best I can. Im baby wearing since I have a toddler, skin to skin etc..
He can't nurse well since hes so stuffy and can hardly stop fussing and coughing.
How can I get him to nurse more? How can i assure my supply doesn't dip?
Ps we saw a doc wednesday, but she want helpful on the nursing, and he just now had his diapers dip.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs_McK
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:09 PM
Does your pediatrician have a LC on staff? If so that would be a good place to ask. it's harder for baby to eat when it's stuffy and maybe just not wanting to eat as much because he is not feeling well. I am sure you'll get some good feedback here. I hope your sweetie gets to feeling better!
Yuriko_chan
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:11 PM
3 moms liked this
For congestion, put some breastmilk in his nose and suction. Just like saline and suction. That should help clear him out too. And just keep offering the boob. Other than that, Idk, I'm sorry!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sanderson316
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:11 PM

BUMP!

LoveMyBugz
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:18 PM
Unfortunately no, they don't have a lc they collaborate with :(. This is ds's first sickness & the poor doodle bug is having an awful time of it, so thanks for the well wishes!

Quoting Mrs_McK:

Does your pediatrician have a LC on staff? If so that would be a good place to ask. it's harder for baby to eat when it's stuffy and maybe just not wanting to eat as much because he is not feeling well. I am sure you'll get some good feedback here. I hope your sweetie gets to feeling better!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetDoc
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter got a bad cold at about the same age, I did saline drops and suction and stood in the shower with her twice a day (for steam) to clear her up a bit.  I also had to try and sit her as upright as possible to nurse.  I also ended up just having to nurse her more often for shorter time periods, eventually we got through it and I didn't seem to have any supply drop.  

libby261
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I would suggest give your baby liquid dimetapp with phenylpropanolamine, but they took that off the market years ago. Too bad, it was a really good decongestant.  It was the only one on the market that didn't make me wired.  When I get really stuffy with a bad cold, I'll swab my nose with some cortisone cream it helps keep my nasal passages open. You don't want him getting dehydrated.  You know how to check for that don't you?  You try to pull up some skin (not muscle too, just skin) and if it doesn't bounce back right away, he's dehydrated. 

LoveMyBugz
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Um...dumb question, but where is the best place to test on? Ds is a chub w/only a loose skin lol

Quoting libby261:

I would suggest give your baby liquid dimetapp with phenylpropanolamine, but they took that off the market years ago. Too bad, it was a really good decongestant.  It was the only one on the market that didn't make me wired.  When I get really stuffy with a bad cold, I'll swab my nose with some cortisone cream it helps keep my nasal passages open. You don't want him getting dehydrated.  You know how to check for that don't you?  You try to pull up some skin (not muscle too, just skin) and if it doesn't bounce back right away, he's dehydrated. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
libby261
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Best place is wrist or tops of hand.  The skin is pretty thin there.

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM
Squirt breastmilk up the nose, wait a minute, then suction! I've heard those nosefreida things are awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofava2012
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I talked to a nurse when my dd was really congested and she was about 3 months old as well.. she said that suctioning their little noses only irritates them.  She said a drop or 2 of saline and just kinda let it settle in there.  She said unless you can see some big obstruction in there, the suction only irritates it more! 

Hope he feels better soon.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN