Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Sick baby not nursing well

Posted by   + Show Post
My ds will be 3 months on wednesday. Hes really sick and it's going on 2 weeks. His diaper count is down, and I'm pushing nursing as best I can. Im baby wearing since I have a toddler, skin to skin etc..
He can't nurse well since hes so stuffy and can hardly stop fussing and coughing.
How can I get him to nurse more? How can i assure my supply doesn't dip?
Ps we saw a doc wednesday, but she want helpful on the nursing, and he just now had his diapers dip.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM
Replies (11-15):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Breastmilk up the nose, nurse him in the bathroom with the hot shower running, humidifier in the bedroom at night, and have him sleep at an incline to help drainage. If you're able to pump or hand express a bit, you can try to give him some milk via medicine dropper in between feedings, just to give him a breather. Hope he feels better soon!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 6, 2012 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Breastmilk in the nose. MIRACLE cure, I tell ya. **smile**

collinsmommy0
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:41 PM
I agree with bm up the nose. Wait a minute, then suction. I always have DH do the suction - he is way better at it then I am.

2 weeks seems a long time for a cold - maybe its allergies.....(just a thought)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Mary on May. 6, 2012 at 11:45 PM
This exacty! Try to nurse with him as upright as possible!

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Breastmilk up the nose, nurse him in the bathroom with the hot shower running, humidifier in the bedroom at night, and have him sleep at an incline to help drainage. If you're able to pump or hand express a bit, you can try to give him some milk via medicine dropper in between feedings, just to give him a breather. Hope he feels better soon!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBugz
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:40 AM
I'm not certain. He has been running a fever though. dh came down with something as ds was finally starting to feel better so idk if he got a cold right after a cold.

Quoting collinsmommy0:

I agree with bm up the nose. Wait a minute, then suction. I always have DH do the suction - he is way better at it then I am.

2 weeks seems a long time for a cold - maybe its allergies.....(just a thought)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN