Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I think it's happening again :(

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:25 PM
  • 9 Replies

When I had my son, I started noticing at about 3 months that he was favoring my left breast over my right.  I didn't really put much thought into it, and by the time he was 6 months old, he had completely stopped nursing on the right side and it dried up.  As a result, I was an over flowing D on the left and barely a C on the right.  I was SO lopsided and it made me very self conscious.  This second time around, I've made sure to offer the right breast often so this doesn't happen again.  Well, she is 9 months now and is starting to refuse to nurse on that side :-/  I know my left side is my "milky" side.  I'm guessing it's easier to get milk from.  When she nurses on that side, she is calm and content.  When she nurses on the right, she twists and turns, bites, tries to crawl up me and sometimes squeezes/hit that breast.  She gets so frustrated (and so do I).  I don't want to end up with lopsided breasts.  Well... they already are lopsided, but I mean severely lopsided, like they were with my son.

Any tips on how I can get her to nurse more on that side?  She does seem to nurse on it fine at night, but that's because she is sleepy and is mostly just comfort nursing.  So I try to make sure to do that.  Any other suggestions?  Thank you!

Sarah, Justin, Jacob & Jenna  

by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mom2Jase
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:40 PM
2 moms liked this
No tips but Paisley has a day boob and a night boob. Righty seems to be easier to get milk from so she prefers it during the day so she can hurry, eat and get back to playing. Lefty seems to be more for comfort nursing. She will eat from it for a few minutes before falling asleep and then comfort nurses for a while before she pops off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this
You can always buy the inserts. They sell the padded inserts to put in bras.That's what I use since I'm lopsided. I put it on the small side and you can't even tell the different when I'm wearing clothes ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stevensmomma
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:29 PM

if she really wont take that breast you cant force her to the only thing you can do is pump from that breast and freeze the milk for later use just in case you need it

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 6, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Just offer it.really all you can do. It's normal.

soulofsunmama
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol...mine are cheech (rt) the party boob, and chong(lf) sleepy boob, and together their the chichis

Quoting Mom2Jase:

No tips but Paisley has a day boob and a night boob. Righty seems to be easier to get milk from so she prefers it during the day so she can hurry, eat and get back to playing. Lefty seems to be more for comfort nursing. She will eat from it for a few minutes before falling asleep and then comfort nurses for a while before she pops off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxMissThingxx
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
This is what Alexa does also.
During the day it's the left. At night it's the right. We bed share so that side is more comfy for us.

Quoting Mom2Jase:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:43 PM
Do you always hold her on the left? If so, hold her on your right side sometimes during the day - that helped me when DS favored the left.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 7, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

Just offer it.really all you can do. It's normal.

Muslimah4ever
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I don't have any advice as my little man doesn't seem to mind any side. I know some ladies feed like 5-10 minutes on one side them switch to the other breast to finish off. That way doesn't work for me and baby. So I feed him a full feeding on one side and then the next feeding on the other. If you are afraid of running out of milk, pump that one side and freeze the milk for when you start introducing solids- using the milk to mix with the rice cereal, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN