Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I think I want to wean *update, page 2 of replies

Posted by   + Show Post

yDD is 14 months. I just don't enjoy nursing her any more.

My period started again 3 months ago, and for the week before and the week of, my supply drops dramatically. Which makes yDD unhappy because she's not getting much, and me unhappy because she's an optimist who keeps chomping at the bit until I'm tender. Then my supply picks up again literally overnight, and I'm uncomfortably full for the next day or two while yDD and I readjust.

She rarely wakes up to nurse at night anymore, and refuses the breast if she sees food or anyone else eating. I'm afraid yDD won't get enough fluids or fats if I stop BFing. She's our third child (the only one I BFed) and we're not having anymore kids, and I know I'll miss BFing whenever she does wean.

My most recent goal was 2 years, but I don't think we'll make it because I just don't have the desire to BF anymore.

I'd love to have your input. I'm not sure whether I'm looking for encouragement to keep going, reassurance that wanting to give up at this point doesn't make me a bad parent, or something else altogether- I guess I just want some other POV's and opinions.

by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:46 AM
Replies (11-13):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 8, 2012 at 4:43 PM
You could try don't offer, don't refuse or limit nursing only to specific times of the day or lengths of time. Doing something like that might help a bit and you'll be able to go longer. If you do this and it doesn't change how you're feeling, you can just continue to limit until the feedings are eliminated. Whatever you do, go slowly so you don't get too engorged. You don't want to get plugged ducts or mastitis.
(((HUGS)))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KayDziedzic
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Thanks for all of your input!  :)

I started 'don't offer, don't refuse' a little over a month ago, when I admitted to myself that I wasn't enjoying BFing anymore and began entertaining the idea of stopping before 2 years. Within the past week or so I have started refusing if I'm making dinner, alone with all 3 kids shopping, etc. yDD doesn't seem to mind unless she's tired, in which case she makes a very determined effort to help herself if she can reach me.

We had a rough spot with pinching hard enough to bruise and break the skin while nursing several months back. I came here for advice (I don't remember if I posted, or just read through advice given on posts for the same issue) and found lots of info on nursing manners. The methods suggested in the group and at kellymom resolved the issue quickly, and still work well and quickly when yDD occasionally starts pinching again. The tenderness I referred to is from the drastic increase in the letdown-trigger type of suckling when my supply drops, combined with the breast tenderness that's a PMS/period symptom for me.

I've been focusing on the good parts since posting, especially the calm snuggle-y time we get together while yDD's nursing and giving her the human milk she's meant to have, but I'm still not enjoying BFing like I did before. I'm also not feeling as guilty about maybe not making it to 2 years. At this point, I think I'll take it month-by-month, going back to my short-term monthly goals like I did until 1 year. Hopefully taking that pressure off will make BFing seem like less of an obligation and more like something special, like it did before.

Thank you all for your advice, support, time, and ideas!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 9, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I think that is a good way to take it. try to stay positive. : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN