Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is this normal?? Should I feed her more?

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:04 AM
  • 14 Replies
My baby just turned 11 wks old. She will sleep from about 9:30pm to 4am....and I'm waking her. A lot of the time she wakes up dry.

Yesterday she nursed 5 times is all and had 8 wet diapers...no poops. She also had two 2 oz bottles.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 7, 2012 at 6:13 AM
Why is she having bottles? 8 wet diapers is plenty they only need 6. it's not uncommon to go days or weeks without pooping at this age. No need to wake her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oneluckymom23
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:19 AM
I couldn't nurse her the first few days of her life, she's still supplemented. Partially for my sanity and partially cause she's had slow weight gain

Is 5 times of nursing a day ok? Shouldn't she be eating more?

Quoting melindabelcher:

Why is she having bottles? 8 wet diapers is plenty they only need 6. it's not uncommon to go days or weeks without pooping at this age. No need to wake her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 7, 2012 at 6:34 AM
well if she got two bottles she had 7 feedings. I would cut out the bottles 1 oz at a time and just nurse. What are her weights? she is only expected to gain 4oz a week on average.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 7, 2012 at 8:21 AM

I would stop the bottles and nurse those 2 times...7 feedings a day is perfect

oneluckymom23
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:03 AM
The bottles are helping me keep my sanity! Lol

Is it ok that she's sleeping 7 hours and waking up dry?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gruntlings
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Quoting oneluckymom23:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

The bottles will interfere with your ability to regulate your supply to what she needs. They're the "Gift that takes away far more than it will ever give".

What is in the bottles? Pumped milk or formula? If it is formula, that may be what is causing her to sleep 7 hours and wake up dry. Formula is full of things that the baby cannot digest easily, which makes them sleep more because they are not hungry enough to eat what they need.

Baby will probably get what baby needs directly from the breast, but the formula might be keeping baby from getitng what baby needs. For some babies it's like concrete in their bellies.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Are you pumping when you give those bottles? When bottles are given you still have to pump, clean the pump, clean the bottle, make the bottle, and hold the bottle..to me thats way more work.

Milk needs to be removed from the breasts atleast 7-8 times a day period.  Sleeping all night is not a worry though the dry diaper is kinda...

GraceHudson
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:46 AM
bump

oneluckymom23
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM
It's Nutramagin

Basically I nursed her the first 2 days of her life, I got hospitalized, was told I almost died, had surgery and she was on formula for the next week. DH was bringing her to me in the hospital to nurse occasionally and when I got home I got rid of all her bottle feeds but 2.

With the recovery and stress of juggling 3 it helps me keep my sanity. DH gives her a bottle and puts her to bed at night.

I think I'm gonna BF tonight though and see what she does :-)

Quoting Gruntlings:

Quoting oneluckymom23:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

The bottles will interfere with your ability to regulate your supply to what she needs. They're the "Gift that takes away far more than it will ever give".

What is in the bottles? Pumped milk or formula? If it is formula, that may be what is causing her to sleep 7 hours and wake up dry. Formula is full of things that the baby cannot digest easily, which makes them sleep more because they are not hungry enough to eat what they need.

Baby will probably get what baby needs directly from the breast, but the formula might be keeping baby from getitng what baby needs. For some babies it's like concrete in their bellies.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oneluckymom23
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:17 AM
I'm not pumping...The dry diaper is what concerns me. She had enough during the day and just stayed dry all night.

Maybe she'll be potty trained by 6 months???? Lol

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Are you pumping when you give those bottles? When bottles are given you still have to pump, clean the pump, clean the bottle, make the bottle, and hold the bottle..to me thats way more work.

Milk needs to be removed from the breasts atleast 7-8 times a day period.  Sleeping all night is not a worry though the dry diaper is kinda...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)