Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

expert answer in parade magazine about nip...

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM
  • 34 Replies
Wow. I really dont like the last sentence in parenthesis. This lady definitely shouldnt be answering breastfeeding questions.
http://mobile.parade.com/share?abs_link=http://www.parade.com/news/intelligence-report/manner-up/2012/05/06-breastfeeding-in-public.html

Q: I teach first grade, and the mother of a child in my class brings her 1-year-old son to school events—and breast-feeds in public without covering up sufficiently. Other parents have asked me to say something to her. Should I?
—Name withheld, Scottsdale, Ariz. 

A: As moms everywhere know, breast-feeding is natural and sometimes has to be done in public. The law generally supports a mom’s right to do so, and even asking this woman to cover up could have legal ramifications. But Everyday Etiquette author Patricia Rossi has this suggestion: “Talk to the school principal about designating a comfortable, quiet place for breast-feeding. You can then offer the mom use of the room as a place away from noise and germs.” (Of course, she could also consider the feelings of others and try to feed her son before or after a school event.) 

— Judith Newman
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GraceHudson
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:19 AM
bump

saltyalley1227
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Wow....
I used to be pro covering but I've gotten so fed up with people's boob-phobia I'm just done. DD hates it and I wouldn't want to eat with a blanket over my head either! Dang. The other day we pulled over and parked because DD decided she was hungry and DH asked if I wanted the cover. I responded "no- they're just boobs dear!" he has no issues with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
levansbx
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:31 AM
I do not like that comment in parentheses. That completely undermines her whole point that I thought she was making: that nip is ok and that no one has the right to ask her not to. So basically the author is saying "that woman shouldn't bf her one year old there but unfortunately you can't say anything to her."

That's exactly why nip continues to be taboo in our society even with laws protecting women. Sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
qtnik
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Ugh. Terrible...

Goofygadget
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM
2 moms liked this

I read that yesterday in the paper.

Feed at home first before the event, like we get to choose when our babies get hungry, ha...That makes it sound like we have an option and we decide to NIP because its fun (yippie!) or that it is for attention. So silly.

shelley11709
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM
5 moms liked this
That last part makes the whole article seem like "well this is what I HAVE to say because it's the law, but ew breastfeeding"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Wow... rude much? lol. Horrible reply!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:14 AM

That was kind of rude. I did do that though lol...I would feed my son before leaving the house then when we got to our destination I would top off his tank before heading in. He always did good with it, but I know once they get older there's no coaxing if they don't want it lol!

soulofsunmama
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
That is the STUPIDEST response EVER,I can't BELIEVE they printed that!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:52 AM
Honestly, she certainly makes me wonder if she even breastfed her children at all. I really expected a better answer.

Quoting soulofsunmama:

That is the STUPIDEST response EVER,I can't BELIEVE they printed that!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)