Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

question about bottle feeding--how much to give?

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:51 PM
  • 35 Replies

My LO is 3 months old and up until now was EBF...now Im working 3 days a week so hes getting expressed milk in a bottle those days, and nursing on demand on the other days. I wasnt sure how much to give in each feeding so we tried 2, 3 and 4 ounce bottles, and it seemd like he did fine w 9 ounces via bottles (plus i am able to nurse him directly on my lunch hour) between 9 and 5.  but I read online today that 3 month olds should take 6-8 ounces per feeding.... so what is it? should I try giving him bigger bottles? when I pump I only get about 6 ounces MAX and thats both sides combined, and he usually only nurses on one side per feeding. Thought Id ask you ladies for advice... what would you give?

by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
YzmaRocks
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Breastfed babies get 1-1.25oz per hour when mom is away with a max of 3oz per bottle :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Bottles should never be more than 3oz, no sooner than 3hrs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Mary on May. 7, 2012 at 12:56 PM
Yes, only 1-1.25 oz per hour while youre away so that'd be less than 8 oz with you nursing on your lunch. No bigger than 3 oz bottles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilydoyle
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Quite frankly, I'd say to give the baby however much he wants. There's no real way to know how much your baby gets on the breast, since you're constantly making milk. The only true way to know how much baby eats, is to give him as much as he wants, out of a slow drip bottle nipple. Also, start with 3 ounces, and see how he does. Make sure to burp after every 3 ounce feeding, because bottles have a ton of air in them. if you nurse on demand, wouldn't it make sense to feed him on the bottle on demand? Sorry, I only did 1 week of bottles with my first, but I had to hand pump, and my dd ate about 10 ounces at 2 months, per feeding, which was every 4 hours.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 7, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Quoting lilydoyle:

Quite frankly, I'd say to give the baby however much he wants. There's no real way to know how much your baby gets on the breast, since you're constantly making milk. The only true way to know how much baby eats, is to give him as much as he wants, out of a slow drip bottle nipple. Also, start with 3 ounces, and see how he does. Make sure to burp after every 3 ounce feeding, because bottles have a ton of air in them. if you nurse on demand, wouldn't it make sense to feed him on the bottle on demand? Sorry, I only did 1 week of bottles with my first, but I had to hand pump, and my dd ate about 10 ounces at 2 months, per feeding, which was every 4 hours.

feeding on demand with bottles doesn't work because baby does not regulate the intake. At the breast baby can regulate how much milk, and they can comfort suck without getting miuch milk if they choose to. Also, your supply comes on demand, a bottle is just whatever is given. Does that make sense? I'm sure someone else can explain it much better than me!

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 1:55 PM
2 moms liked this

This is not best practice advice. Baby cannot regulate the flow of a bottle like a breast, and the bottle is supposed to just take the edge off until mom gets home.

Bottle = famine, breast = feast.

Breastfed babies need 25-30 oz per day, so when divided by 24 hours that comes to 1-1.25oz per hour, which is the rule we use. Their stomachs also only hold about 2-3 oz at a time, so anything more stretches their stomachs and is overfeeding.

http://nurshable.com/2012/01/10/overfeeding-a-baby-with-a-bottle-vs-the-breast/

https://breastfeedingusa.org/content/article/breast-versus-bottle-how-much-milk-should-baby-take

http://nurshable.com/2011/12/29/the-one-ounce-per-hour-rule-of-bottle-feeding/

Quoting lilydoyle:

lilydoyle
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Different size babies eat different amounts. You can't say a baby is supposed to eat a certain amount because of a website. My kids all ate more breastmilk than formula (only 1 didn't have any, and she was 9 lbs at birth). If one of my kids ate 2 ounces of formula, they ate 6-10 ounces of breastmilk, depending on the timeof day or night. Common studies don't pertain to each individual child.

ANSnyder
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:11 PM
my almost 5 month old eats 4-5 ounces every 4 hours while I am gone. We started with the 3 ounces every 3 hours but she was always still hungry. I understand why the 1-1.25 ounce rule is in place but personally I am not going to limit her intake if she is still hungry and is upset and crying for more. That's just my opinion though and so far I am able to keep up with her feeding needs so this is what we do! Good Luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 2:35 PM
2 moms liked this

These websites are based on information given by IBCLC's - who have medical degrees on top of 90 hours of traning in human lactation and breastfeeding.

Again, we know babies eat different amounts at each feeding, but bottle feeding is NOT supposed to replace mom. It's supposed to be just enough to tide baby over until mom gets home, otherwise things like flow preference occur and mom's supply is damaged.

In order to help moms acheive success in breastfeeding, we go by best practice advice as provided by IBCLC's, not anecdotal advice (what worked for some moms). If I wanted weight loss advice, I would trust what a personal nutritionist told me over what my next door neighbor said worked for her. If I needed tax advice, I'd trust my accountant over someone who does their own taxes. 

Quoting lilydoyle:

Different size babies eat different amounts. You can't say a baby is supposed to eat a certain amount because of a website. My kids all ate more breastmilk than formula (only 1 didn't have any, and she was 9 lbs at birth). If one of my kids ate 2 ounces of formula, they ate 6-10 ounces of breastmilk, depending on the timeof day or night. Common studies don't pertain to each individual child.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 3:15 PM
3 moms liked this

https://breastfeedingusa.org/content/article/breast-versus-bottle-how-much-milk-should-baby-take

Breast Versus Bottle: How much milk should baby take?

Q: Why does my breastfed baby take at most 4 ounces (120 mL) from the bottle when my neighbor’s formula-fed baby takes 7 or 8 ounces (210-240 mL)? Am I doing something wrong?

A: You are not doing anything wrong. And in this case, more is not necessarily better. Formula-fed babies typically consume much more milk at each feeding than breastfed babies, but they are also more likely to grow into overweight children and adults.1,2 One large study (16,755 babies in Belarus) compared feeding volumes in formula-fed and breastfed babies and found that the formula-fed babies consumed 49% more milk at 1 month, 57% at 3 months, and 71% at 5 months.3 Australian research found that between 1 and 6 months of age breastfed babies consistently take on average around 3 ounces (90mL) at a feeding. (Younger babies with smaller tummies take less milk.)

Breastfed babies’ milk intake doesn’t increase from months 1 to 6 because their growth rate slows.4 As growth slows, breastfed babies continue to get bigger and heavier on about the same daily milk intake, averaging about 25 ounces (750 mL) per 24 hours.

Why do formula-fed babies drink so much more milk? There are several reasons:

The bottle flows more consistently. During the first 3 to 4 months of life, after swallowing, an inborn reflex automatically triggers suckling.5 Milk flows more consistently from the bottle than the breast (which has a natural ebb and flow due to milk ejections, or let-downs), so babies tend to consume more milk from the bottle at a feeding. Before this reflexive suckling is outgrown, babies fed by bottle are at greater risk of overfeeding.

Breastfeeding gives babies more control over milk intake. Not seeing how much milk is in the breast makes a breastfeeding mother less likely to coax her baby to continue after he’s full.3,6 As the breastfed baby grows and thrives, his mother learns to trust her baby to take what he needs from both breast and bottle and also solid foods when they are introduced later. One U.K. study found that between 6 and 12 months of age breastfeeding mothers put less pressure on their babies to eat solid foods and were more sensitive to their babies’ cues.7

More milk in the bottle means more milk consumed. In the Belarus study mentioned before, babies took more formula at feedings when their mothers offered bottles containing more than 6 ounces (180 mL).3

Mother’s milk and formula are metabolized differently. Formula-fed babies use the nutrients in formula less efficiently,8 so they may need more milk to meet their nutritional needs. Formula is also missing hormones, such as leptin and adiponectin, which help babies regulate appetite and energy metabolism.9,10 Even babies’ sleep metabolism is affected, with formula-fed babies burning more calories during sleep than breastfed babies.11

Q: If my baby takes more milk from the bottle than I can express at one sitting, does that mean my milk production is low?

A: See the previous answer. Babies commonly take more milk from the bottle than they do from the breast. The fast, consistent milk flow of the bottle makes overfeeding more likely. So if your baby takes more milk from the bottle than you express, by itself this is not an indicator of low milk production.

To reduce the amount of expressed milk needed and to decrease the risk of overfeeding, take steps to slow milk flow during bottle-feeding:

• Use the slowest flow nipple/teat the baby will accept.
  • Suggest the feeder try holding the baby in a more upright position with the bottle horizontal to slow flow and help the baby feel full on less milk.
  • Short breaks during bottle-feeding can also help baby “realize” he’s full before he takes more milk than needed.

References:

1 Arenz, S., Ruckerl, R., Koletzko, B., & von Kries, R. (2004). Breast-feeding and childhood obesity--a systematic review. International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders, 28(10), 1247-1256.

2Dewey, K. G. (2009). Infant feeding and growth. In G. Goldberg, A. Prentice, P. A., S. Filteau & K. Simondon (Eds.), Breast-Feeding: Early influences on later health (pp. 57-66). New York, NY: Springer.

3Kramer, M. S., Guo, T., Platt, R. W., Vanilovich, I., Sevkovskaya, Z., Dzikovich, I., et al. (2004). Feeding effects on growth during infancy. Journal of Pediatrics, 145(5), 600-605.

4Kent, J. C., Mitoulas, L. R., Cregan, M. D., Ramsay, D. T., Doherty, D. A., & Hartmann, P. E. (2006). Volume and frequency of breastfeedings and fat content of breast milk throughout the day. Pediatrics, 117(3), e387-395.

5Wolf, L. S., & Glass, R. P. (1992). Feeding and Swallowing Disorders in Infancy. Tucson, AZ: Therapy Skill Builders.

6Taveras, E. M., et al. (2004). Association of breastfeeding with maternal control of infant feeding at age 1 year. Pediatrics, 114(5), e577-583.

7Farrow, C., & Blissett, J. (2006). Breast-feeding, maternal feeding practices and mealtime negativity at one year. Appetite, 46(1), 49-56.

8Motil, K. J., Sheng, H. P., Montandon, C. M., & Wong, W. W. (1997). Human milk protein does not limit growth of breast-fed infants. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, 24(1), 10-17.

9Li, R., Fein, S. B., & Grummer-Strawn, L. M. (2008). Association of breastfeeding intensity and bottle-emptying behaviors at early infancy with infants' risk for excess weight at late infancy. Pediatrics, 122 Suppl 2, S77-84.

10Doneray, H., Orbak, Z., & Yildiz, L. (2009). The relationship between breast milk leptin and neonatal weight gain. Acta Paediatrica, 98(4), 643-647.

11Butte, N. F., et al. (2000). Energy requirements derived from total energy expenditure and energy deposition during the first 2 y of life. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 72(6), 1558-1569.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)