Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Rice cereal

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:15 PM
  • 79 Replies
Is 3 months too young to give rice cereal either in a bowl or a little in her bottle. My baby never really seems satisfied after I feed her and my mother said to maybe try some rice cereal. What are everyone's thoughts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaryJarrett
by Mary on May. 7, 2012 at 2:16 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes, anything under a year is too young for grains, anything under 6 months is too young for any solids.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifetimelove
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM
7 moms liked this
Way too young.

Three months is a growth spurt. She's nursing more because she needs more breastmilk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ANSnyder
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:19 PM
We just started rice cereal last week when my lo was 4 1/2 months old. I wanted to skip cereal and start foods when she was 6 months old but she was always watching and trying to put my food in her mouth...not to mention she still seemed hungry a lot. So her doctor said we could try it and we did. She has loved it from her first bite and eats it all! She doesn't spit it back out or waste it.

I wouldn't put it in a bottle o would spoon feed it when you try it. BUT to me 3 months is a little young....but I'm no doctor so maybe call and ask them!

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ANSnyder
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:20 PM
why do you say 1 year for grains? I have never heard this so I am curious.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Yes, anything under a year is too young for grains, anything under 6 months is too young for any solids.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Jen on May. 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
This. I'm skipping cereal all together.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifetimelove
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM
Babies don't produce sufficient levels of amylase, the enzyme that digests starches, until 9-12 months.

Quoting ANSnyder:

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes it's too young. Their bellies aren't ready for food until at least 6 months old. Putting cereal in the bottle can be deadly. Around 3 months they go through a growth spurt so she is probably just extra hungry, maybe you can make her an extra ounce?

Also, rice cereal is empty colories. When it's time to start solids starting with a mild veggie is best.

MaryJarrett
by Mary on May. 7, 2012 at 2:23 PM
Babies don't make pancreatic amalyse, without it they cannot digest grains.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/why-ditch-infant-cereals/

Quoting ANSnyder:

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wendy1433
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:23 PM

yes i would say 3mo is way to young for baby cereal. Sounds like a growth spurt to me. idk what other advice to give other than not putting in a bottle. Good luck 

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 2:24 PM
3 moms liked this

Yes, it is way too young. The AAP, WHO and all other health organizations shuggest EXCLUSIVE breastfeeding for a MINIMUM of 6 months. Giveing rice ceral at this age can lead to several problems. It puts baby at increased risk of illness (like pnemonia), increased risk of allergies, anemia, later obesity. All of these risks are well documented by solid research.

If baby is gaining enough weight then she is getting enough milk. Nurse more frequently if you thingk baby needs more.

After baby is 6 months, skip the rice cereal:

https://breastfeedingusa.org/content/article/good-foods-babies

“Why do so many babies start with cereal?”

Cereal may be traditional, but it is not necessarily one of the best first foods. Iron-fortified rice cereal has been suggested as a first food in the past because of the belief that it was “hypoallergenic” and was a good source of iron. A review of research by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) finds those reasons to be invalid. 1 Newer thinking suggests beginning with foods that are naturally nutrient-rich. For example, meat is naturally rich in iron and zinc. In any case, breastfed babies usually get all the iron they need from their mother's milk up until at least six months of age. 2 If your doctor is concerned about iron levels, a simple blood test can be done right in the office.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN