Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
Is 3 months too young to give rice cereal either in a bowl or a little in her bottle. My baby never really seems satisfied after I feed her and my mother said to maybe try some rice cereal. What are everyone's thoughts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Replies (71-79):
finnbar
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Avocados!!!  :)    vegetables and fruits are healthiest for humans.  The science is not different for babies ;)

Quoting 2011CaliMom:

My daughter is ready for solids and people say to start with the cereal, but I honestly dont want to. What did you start your baby on?  I'm a first time mom, my daughter is 6 months and I've only breastfeed.

LKRA
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes, ma'am! lol I thought that would have been obvious, what with this being a Breastfeeding Moms group. :)

Quoting cjwilson80:

OOOH... I'm sorry! I guess I didn't realize all that was specifically meant for breast fed babies. I was really worried I had seriously messed up, which is why I called my doctor. She said that they normally don't recommend rice cereal for babies until 4-6 months but since my son is big enough and eating 40+ oz of formula a day it was ok.

Sorry for any confusion ladies! Thanks !

Quoting aehanrahan:

Ok. You're formula feeding. THAT is different. Your baby may NEED more nutrition than the formula can offer. Everything that was said to you is information for breastfed babies, although cereal should NEVER be given in a bottle due to it being a choking hazard.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 9, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I thought so too, which is why I was surprised when she mentioned formula. 

Quoting LKRA:

Yes, ma'am! lol I thought that would have been obvious, what with this being a Breastfeeding Moms group. :)

Quoting cjwilson80:

OOOH... I'm sorry! I guess I didn't realize all that was specifically meant for breast fed babies. I was really worried I had seriously messed up, which is why I called my doctor. She said that they normally don't recommend rice cereal for babies until 4-6 months but since my son is big enough and eating 40+ oz of formula a day it was ok.

Sorry for any confusion ladies! Thanks !

Quoting aehanrahan:

Ok. You're formula feeding. THAT is different. Your baby may NEED more nutrition than the formula can offer. Everything that was said to you is information for breastfed babies, although cereal should NEVER be given in a bottle due to it being a choking hazard.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM
Hey, can I get in on this love fest?! ;-). Thanks for all you do, getting best practice advice out there. And rice cereal for babies under 6 months is not best, or even good, practice.

Quoting LKRA:

Nope. Because I love you, too! lol

Quoting MonicaV1982:

would it be too forward of me to say "I love you!" ? :)

Quoting LKRA:

That's good. :)

And let's remember that the wise ones of the group aren't spitting out their "opinions". They are giving fact-based, evidence-based, best practice information.

HUGE difference.

Quoting cjwilson80:

I realize that my mom's advice is outdated. I also understand that there are many different opinions out there and many do's and don'ts, etc.

Bottom line, I did what I felt was right and I don't regret my decision. Going forward, I may or may not continue with the rice cereal, I haven't decided yet. I'm still researching the topic but for now, he's only had cereal a twice.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 5:43 PM
4 moms liked this
And you also fed newborns in the nursery bottles of water...
When you know better, you do better. Personal experiences and opinions, though always welcome, will never stomp statistics and facts. That's fabulous that your kids are healthy and never got head injuries or broken bones for not having to wear safety gear, your kids lucked out big time.
But the main purpose of this group is to provide factual advice and information using best up to date practices.
Giving solids at an appropriate age, as well as making sure your children are wearing safety gear while bike riding and such is not raising them in a bubble, it's making sure they're as healthy and safe as possible.

Quoting MissJeanne:

Gee I am glad to know my kids should have been obese because they got rice cereal at 3 mos.  I raised 9 kids and not a one is obese and all are VERY healthy, do not have high BP, are diabetic, or any other health problems.  imes change and as far as Car seats, all my kids had a car seat or a car bed, 1951 on, if you want to compare, cars didn't have seat belts either until mid '60's, my kids rode bikes and skate boarded w/o helmets as well and noe hada head injury or a broken bone from either, now falling off the picnic table was a different story BUT I didn't rade my kids in a bubble.  They are 41 to 61, an oh yes my grandkids got cereal at 3 mos as well.  As for the Ped, all children have different needs, he/she know the patient and Mom, I wouldn't go to a MD I didn't trust and that didn't  judge each patient as a individual, we were not mak with a cookie cutter. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LKRA
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

GROUP HUG!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Hey, can I get in on this love fest?! ;-). Thanks for all you do, getting best practice advice out there. And rice cereal for babies under 6 months is not best, or even good, practice.

Quoting LKRA:

Nope. Because I love you, too! lol

Quoting MonicaV1982:

would it be too forward of me to say "I love you!" ? :)

Quoting LKRA:

That's good. :)

And let's remember that the wise ones of the group aren't spitting out their "opinions". They are giving fact-based, evidence-based, best practice information.

HUGE difference.

Quoting cjwilson80:

I realize that my mom's advice is outdated. I also understand that there are many different opinions out there and many do's and don'ts, etc.

Bottom line, I did what I felt was right and I don't regret my decision. Going forward, I may or may not continue with the rice cereal, I haven't decided yet. I'm still researching the topic but for now, he's only had cereal a twice.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 9, 2012 at 7:59 PM

You always make me laugh!  : )

Sometimes, we need to spread the love and support around more.

Quoting LKRA:

GROUP HUG!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

luvmybabies2706
by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes way too young.  It's most likely a growth spurt.  You can take fenugreek to help increase your supply.  By nursing more she will naturally increase it though.  My lactation gave me some great advice for when baby doesn't seem to be satisfied after nursing on both sides.  After the 2nd side if she still needs more switch back to the first breast it will have made more milk again & after she pulls off that side if she still needs more switch to the other.  This helps a lot with uping supply it helped me alot in the first few weeks.  Also it could just be she's comfort nursing which will help increase also.  Good luck keep up the good work.  Don't let anyone tell you to stop if your not ready.

2011CaliMom
by on May. 10, 2012 at 2:59 AM

My gut was saying cereal doesnt seem right! Thanks for the support :)

Quoting finnbar:

Avocados!!!  :)    vegetables and fruits are healthiest for humans.  The science is not different for babies ;)

Quoting 2011CaliMom:

My daughter is ready for solids and people say to start with the cereal, but I honestly dont want to. What did you start your baby on?  I'm a first time mom, my daughter is 6 months and I've only breastfeed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN