Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
Is 3 months too young to give rice cereal either in a bowl or a little in her bottle. My baby never really seems satisfied after I feed her and my mother said to maybe try some rice cereal. What are everyone's thoughts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Replies (21-30):
LKRA
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Everyone, please ignore this.

Especially the part in red. LOL

As a general rule, anything that ends in "and I turned out just fine" should pretty much be disregarded.

cjwilson80, I'm not picking on you. I'm just trying to get best practices out there for new moms. :)

Quoting cjwilson80:

My mom told me the same thing. My son is 3 months + 2 weeks. I gave him rice cereal in a bowl yesterday for the first time. It took him a minute to figure it out but once he got it, he ate most of it. I made it super runny so that he wouldn't choke. Then, last night I put some in a bottle and made it thicker, but not too thick. I also made the nipple just a little bigger. He took all 4 oz and slept for 5 1/2 hours. I was in heaven!! He woke up this morning feeling so good and he was in a super good mood. I haven't seen him wake up that happy his whole life!

My doctor told me nothing but formula or breast milk until 6 months but there was NO way he would have lasted that long. I am constantly feeding him. This seems like it's going to work out. Plus, my mom was giving me rice cereal when I was 6 weeks old and I turned out just fine :)

Good luck!

LKRA
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:38 AM
3 moms liked this

That's good. :)

And let's remember that the wise ones of the group aren't spitting out their "opinions". They are giving fact-based, evidence-based, best practice information.

HUGE difference.

Quoting cjwilson80:

I realize that my mom's advice is outdated. I also understand that there are many different opinions out there and many do's and don'ts, etc.

Bottom line, I did what I felt was right and I don't regret my decision. Going forward, I may or may not continue with the rice cereal, I haven't decided yet. I'm still researching the topic but for now, he's only had cereal a twice.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM
4 moms liked this
Your baby is supposed to eat all the time. Breastmilk is so wonderfully digested. Your doc was very very right. Google "virgin gut". Baby's gut isn't closed until atleast 6 months old. Introducing solids early, especially something so nutritionally void, puts baby as risk for allergies, obesity, diabetes, and major tummy issues. Putting cereal in a bottle is very dangerous and is not only a choking hazard, but greatly increases the risk of SIDS.
I'm glad you turned out "just fine". A lot of parents do some crazy things to their kids and they end up "just fine". But unfortunately there are more people who aren't fine. When you know better, you do better.

Quoting cjwilson80:

My mom told me the same thing. My son is 3 months + 2 weeks. I gave him rice cereal in a bowl yesterday for the first time. It took him a minute to figure it out but once he got it, he ate most of it. I made it super runny so that he wouldn't choke. Then, last night I put some in a bottle and made it thicker, but not too thick. I also made the nipple just a little bigger. He took all 4 oz and slept for 5 1/2 hours. I was in heaven!! He woke up this morning feeling so good and he was in a super good mood. I haven't seen him wake up that happy his whole life!

My doctor told me nothing but formula or breast milk until 6 months but there was NO way he would have lasted that long. I am constantly feeding him. This seems like it's going to work out. Plus, my mom was giving me rice cereal when I was 6 weeks old and I turned out just fine :)

Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 8, 2012 at 1:30 PM
Yes, way too young. Three months is a growth spurt and baby needs milk and nothing else.

Quoting lifetimelove:

Way too young.

Three months is a growth spurt. She's nursing more because she needs more breastmilk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nautired
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't have much to add pp have said it all but I do agree it's pretty young. I know what you mean though about them seeming to need more I think it's just that we are not in the mind set that breast milk is enough. My son was EBF until 6 months and I stopped bein concerned when I realized he out weighed his peers lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM
5 moms liked this

I didn't ride in a carseat when I was a baby. My dad was would wrap me up in a blanket and lay me in the seat next to him when I was tiny! As I got better he'd sit me in the seat and give me toys. Heck my sister and I rode everywhere in the back of his truck by the time I was 4! I turned out fine too but not everyone did. Real studies have been done to show that rice cereal is not only not a good first food but probably shouldn't be given at all. What baby needs right now is breastmilk and nothing more. By giving baby anything more you are knowingly putting your child in danger.  

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Your baby is supposed to eat all the time. Breastmilk is so wonderfully digested. Your doc was very very right. Google "virgin gut". Baby's gut isn't closed until atleast 6 months old. Introducing solids early, especially something so nutritionally void, puts baby as risk for allergies, obesity, diabetes, and major tummy issues. Putting cereal in a bottle is very dangerous and is not only a choking hazard, but greatly increases the risk of SIDS.
I'm glad you turned out "just fine". A lot of parents do some crazy things to their kids and they end up "just fine". But unfortunately there are more people who aren't fine. When you know better, you do better.

Quoting cjwilson80:

Good luck!

cjwilson80
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Spoke to my doctor's office and was reassured that what I did was perfectly fine.

My doctor said as long as my son is eating 40 oz or more of formula per day (which he is), adding some rice ceral is perfectly acceptable. Plus, he's 16 pounds which is big enough. He said with my son's young age the main thing they look out for is tummy upset and constipation. If that happens, reduce the amount of rice ceral or switch to oatmeal cereal.

I was worried that I did the wrong thing but I followed my instincts and got confirmation from his pediatritian that we're good to go. He said I can spoon feed or bottle feed.

ckroch
by Colleen on May. 8, 2012 at 4:09 PM
Agree!

Quoting justone_jen:

This. I'm skipping cereal all together.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Yes, anything under a year is too young for grains, anything under 6 months is too young for any solids.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blg5484
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:18 PM
3 moms liked this

First of all why are you posting in a BREASTfeeding group if you are formula feeding???

Second the countless studies and PROOF we have are enough for all of us to know your doctor (most likely a nurse on the phone) is wrong.

Third Size (wieght) has nothing to do with went to start food

My DS is 7 month 20.9 pounds and has NEVER had anything other them BM My DD was EBF to 9 months never had sawdust from a box (ie cereal) she is now 22 months

Quoting cjwilson80:

Spoke to my doctor's office and was reassured that what I did was perfectly fine.

My doctor said as long as my son is eating 40 oz or more of formula per day (which he is), adding some rice ceral is perfectly acceptable. Plus, he's 16 pounds which is big enough. He said with my son's young age the main thing they look out for is tummy upset and constipation. If that happens, reduce the amount of rice ceral or switch to oatmeal cereal.

I was worried that I did the wrong thing but I followed my instincts and got confirmation from his pediatritian that we're good to go. He said I can spoon feed or bottle feed.

Jesus Christ, Albert Einstein and Michael Jordan were all breastfed to

age three and beyond. The day YOU have SIX NBA Championship rings and

millions of dollars in endorsement contracts, a Noble Prize in Physics

AND the ability to walk on water, you may make comments.
breastfeeding

2011CaliMom
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:25 PM

My daughter is ready for solids and people say to start with the cereal, but I honestly dont want to. What did you start your baby on?  I'm a first time mom, my daughter is 6 months and I've only breastfeed.

Quoting lifetimelove:

Babies don't produce sufficient levels of amylase, the enzyme that digests starches, until 9-12 months.

Quoting ANSnyder:

why do you say 1 year for grains? I have never heard this so I am curious.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Yes, anything under a year is too young for grains, anything under 6 months is too young for any solids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)