Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
Is 3 months too young to give rice cereal either in a bowl or a little in her bottle. My baby never really seems satisfied after I feed her and my mother said to maybe try some rice cereal. What are everyone's thoughts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Replies (31-40):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 8, 2012 at 4:27 PM
Ok. You're formula feeding. THAT is different. Your baby may NEED more nutrition than the formula can offer. Everything that was said to you is information for breastfed babies, although cereal should NEVER be given in a bottle due to it being a choking hazard.

Quoting cjwilson80:

Spoke to my doctor's office and was reassured that what I did was perfectly fine.

My doctor said as long as my son is eating 40 oz or more of formula per day (which he is), adding some rice ceral is perfectly acceptable. Plus, he's 16 pounds which is big enough. He said with my son's young age the main thing they look out for is tummy upset and constipation. If that happens, reduce the amount of rice ceral or switch to oatmeal cereal.

I was worried that I did the wrong thing but I followed my instincts and got confirmation from his pediatritian that we're good to go. He said I can spoon feed or bottle feed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM
Avocado, bananas, and sweet potato are good, common first foods.

Quoting 2011CaliMom:

My daughter is ready for solids and people say to start with the cereal, but I honestly dont want to. What did you start your baby on?  I'm a first time mom, my daughter is 6 months and I've only breastfeed.

Quoting lifetimelove:

Babies don't produce sufficient levels of amylase, the enzyme that digests starches, until 9-12 months.

Quoting ANSnyder:

why do you say 1 year for grains? I have never heard this so I am curious.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Yes, anything under a year is too young for grains, anything under 6 months is too young for any solids.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Mary on May. 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM
My goodness! He must not be F.A.A.P. certified! :( If so, he should be reported so he loses his certification, he's going against all their hard work to keep babies healthy! :(

Quoting cjwilson80:

Spoke to my doctor's office and was reassured that what I did was perfectly fine.

My doctor said as long as my son is eating 40 oz or more of formula per day (which he is), adding some rice ceral is perfectly acceptable. Plus, he's 16 pounds which is big enough. He said with my son's young age the main thing they look out for is tummy upset and constipation. If that happens, reduce the amount of rice ceral or switch to oatmeal cereal.

I was worried that I did the wrong thing but I followed my instincts and got confirmation from his pediatritian that we're good to go. He said I can spoon feed or bottle feed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjwilson80
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM

OOOH... I'm sorry! I guess I didn't realize all that was specifically meant for breast fed babies. I was really worried I had seriously messed up, which is why I called my doctor. She said that they normally don't recommend rice cereal for babies until 4-6 months but since my son is big enough and eating 40+ oz of formula a day it was ok.

Sorry for any confusion ladies! Thanks !

Quoting aehanrahan:

Ok. You're formula feeding. THAT is different. Your baby may NEED more nutrition than the formula can offer. Everything that was said to you is information for breastfed babies, although cereal should NEVER be given in a bottle due to it being a choking hazard.

Quoting cjwilson80:

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 4:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting cjwilson80:

I know your ped gave you the "thumbs up" to continue, but did he tell you the risks so that you can make an educated choice?

constipation is a short term risk

long term risk include allergies, obesity later in life, intestinal problems later in life

ALL of those risks are there from either the bottle or spoon at this age.

Here's some info for you from http://www.drgreene.com/qa/baby-bottles-and-cereal

Dietitians and nutritionists concur. Introducing solids before 4 months might cause food allergies. Your well-wishers discount these recommendations because cereal in the bottle worked wonders for their children!

Throughout most of human history children were exclusively breast fed for the early months. During the previous generation or two, when bottle-feedingbecame very popular, rice cereal was often put into the bottle at a very early age. What were the results?

Most children seemed to thrive. A small number of children, though, did not tolerate the addition, because their sucking and swallowing actions were not yet fully coordinated. They inhaled small amounts of the rice cereal into their lungs, which led to pulmonary problems.

I’m much more concerned about a subtler issue. Babies are born with a wonderful mechanism for knowing how much food they need. During the early months, they take their cues from the volume of what they drink. Adding cereal derails this mechanism. It forces them to take in deceptively large amounts of calories. It teaches them to overeat.

By starting with a spoon, resting between bites, and stopping when your child lets you know he’s full, you will be laying an excellent foundation for good eating habits throughout his life.

A major study looking for the causes of obesity found that short-circuiting young children’s self-regulation of how much they eat is a major cause of later obesity.1 Cereal in the bottle does just that.

Babies that are fed this way may appear to be unaffected – but those few weeks of added convenience may result in a lifetime of struggles with weight. This common practice may have contributed to our being the most obese generation in history.

And it doesn’t even work. Scientists at the Cleveland Clinic studied the effect of cereal on sleep and found that adding the cereal did nothing at all to speed up the age of sleeping through the night. That first uninterrupted 6-hour stretch of sleep came no earlier in those who took cereal early.2

People swear otherwise. I suspect the reason is that kids do fall asleep a bit more quickly, and some babies may even go a bit longer between feedings.

There is no scientific evidence, though, to support the claim that cereal in the bottle will help an infant increase total sleep or decrease crying.3

Drawing on the wisdom of experience and the latest scientific knowledge, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends against adding cereal to the bottle. It may be tempting after your 16th straight sleep-deprived night to cut a bigger hole in the feeding nipple to add rice cereal. But it won’t offer lasting help, and it may be giving your baby a lasting gift that both of you will regret.

jjchick75
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Agreed!

Quoting MaryJarrett:

My goodness! He must not be F.A.A.P. certified! :( If so, he should be reported so he loses his certification, he's going against all their hard work to keep babies healthy! :(

Quoting cjwilson80:

MaryJarrett
by Mary on May. 8, 2012 at 4:30 PM
I exclusively breast fed for 9 months then started with baby led weaning. My kids' first food was cubes of avocado.

Quoting 2011CaliMom:

My daughter is ready for solids and people say to start with the cereal, but I honestly dont want to. What did you start your baby on?  I'm a first time mom, my daughter is 6 months and I've only breastfeed.

Quoting lifetimelove:

Babies don't produce sufficient levels of amylase, the enzyme that digests starches, until 9-12 months.

Quoting ANSnyder:

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Yes, anything under a year is too young for grains, anything under 6 months is too young for any solids.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjwilson80
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:30 PM

He is F.A.A.P Certified, and an excellent doctor. I trust him 100%.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Quoting cjwilson80:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 8, 2012 at 4:31 PM
It still really is early. Babies should be able to sit up unsupported so they are less likely to choke.

Quoting cjwilson80:

OOOH... I'm sorry! I guess I didn't realize all that was specifically meant for breast fed babies. I was really worried I had seriously messed up, which is why I called my doctor. She said that they normally don't recommend rice cereal for babies until 4-6 months but since my son is big enough and eating 40+ oz of formula a day it was ok.

Sorry for any confusion ladies! Thanks !

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting cjwilson80:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blg5484
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

she doesnt have to start them at 6 months my DD started at 9 months she grabbed a hand full of food from my plate and ate it LOL DS is 7 months and still not on solids we will try at around 9 months and see how he does (we tried bananas at 7 and carrots at 8 months with DD she got a tummy ache) I never did cereal it is not good for a BF baby because it is fortified and blocks the natural stuff in your milk from being absorbed My DD is like me and has texture issues mush is not our thing so she never liked jar foods I would just smash what ever she ate with a fork so that it was still chunky or smash it between my fingers avocado or banana that kind of stuff are good to start with

Quoting 2011CaliMom:

Quoting lifetimelove:

Quoting ANSnyder:

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Jesus Christ, Albert Einstein and Michael Jordan were all breastfed to

age three and beyond. The day YOU have SIX NBA Championship rings and

millions of dollars in endorsement contracts, a Noble Prize in Physics

AND the ability to walk on water, you may make comments.
breastfeeding

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)