Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
Is 3 months too young to give rice cereal either in a bowl or a little in her bottle. My baby never really seems satisfied after I feed her and my mother said to maybe try some rice cereal. What are everyone's thoughts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Replies (61-70):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 9, 2012 at 12:54 AM
2 moms liked this

You know, everyone forgets the really really important reason for leaving baby cereal on the shelf.

THE STUFF TASTES LIKE WALLPAPER PASTE!

And yes, I've tasted both. There's a reason we don't do wallpaper around here any more! **grin**

People wonder why toddlers ar picky eaters... look at what we start them on!

MonicaV1982
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:10 AM
would it be too forward of me to say "I love you!" ? :)

Quoting LKRA:

That's good. :)

And let's remember that the wise ones of the group aren't spitting out their "opinions". They are giving fact-based, evidence-based, best practice information.

HUGE difference.

Quoting cjwilson80:

I realize that my mom's advice is outdated. I also understand that there are many different opinions out there and many do's and don'ts, etc.

Bottom line, I did what I felt was right and I don't regret my decision. Going forward, I may or may not continue with the rice cereal, I haven't decided yet. I'm still researching the topic but for now, he's only had cereal a twice.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LKRA
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Nope. Because I love you, too! lol

Quoting MonicaV1982:

would it be too forward of me to say "I love you!" ? :)

Quoting LKRA:

That's good. :)

And let's remember that the wise ones of the group aren't spitting out their "opinions". They are giving fact-based, evidence-based, best practice information.

HUGE difference.

Quoting cjwilson80:

I realize that my mom's advice is outdated. I also understand that there are many different opinions out there and many do's and don'ts, etc.

Bottom line, I did what I felt was right and I don't regret my decision. Going forward, I may or may not continue with the rice cereal, I haven't decided yet. I'm still researching the topic but for now, he's only had cereal a twice.

GraceHudson
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM
Way too young.

Mrs.Sells
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:23 AM

A lot of moms smoke, drink and do drugs while pregnant and some of their kids turn out fine, doesn't mean it is safe. With what we know today, it isn't safe. I saw a picture of me in a carseat from nearly 30 yrs ago and I was scared shitless becasue the thing looked like a death trap.

Quoting cjwilson80:

My mom told me the same thing. My son is 3 months + 2 weeks. I gave him rice cereal in a bowl yesterday for the first time. It took him a minute to figure it out but once he got it, he ate most of it. I made it super runny so that he wouldn't choke. Then, last night I put some in a bottle and made it thicker, but not too thick. I also made the nipple just a little bigger. He took all 4 oz and slept for 5 1/2 hours. I was in heaven!! He woke up this morning feeling so good and he was in a super good mood. I haven't seen him wake up that happy his whole life!

My doctor told me nothing but formula or breast milk until 6 months but there was NO way he would have lasted that long. I am constantly feeding him. This seems like it's going to work out. Plus, my mom was giving me rice cereal when I was 6 weeks old and I turned out just fine :)

Good luck!

Mrs.Sells
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Just because they are doctors does not mean they are experts on everything. Hell anyone can graduate medical school if you can study and pass a test. I guess the doctor you spoke to magically knows more then the APA, the WHO and countless other organizations. Also why are you in a BFing group if you feed your child formula?

Quoting cjwilson80:

Spoke to my doctor's office and was reassured that what I did was perfectly fine.

My doctor said as long as my son is eating 40 oz or more of formula per day (which he is), adding some rice ceral is perfectly acceptable. Plus, he's 16 pounds which is big enough. He said with my son's young age the main thing they look out for is tummy upset and constipation. If that happens, reduce the amount of rice ceral or switch to oatmeal cereal.

I was worried that I did the wrong thing but I followed my instincts and got confirmation from his pediatritian that we're good to go. He said I can spoon feed or bottle feed.

milmil06
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:26 AM
3 months is a little young maybe between 4-6 months shell nv really get any when u first start cus it will either be spit out or end somewhere other then the mOuth lol but nv but it in the bottle no matter how old one that's just plain lazy and 2 that leads to over eating
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
finnbar
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:37 AM

if she wants food I would find something nutritious, like an avocado.  Rich is an empty white starch.  if it's not good for YOU it's not good for your baby either.

I would also add that 3 months is really young to be needing food.  She is probably growing a lot right now AND is becoming more aware and less easily entertained. Meaning, she is starting to NEED to be entertained :)  Often times people mistake boredom in babies for hunger.

MissJeanne
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Gee I am glad to know my kids should have been obese because they got rice cereal at 3 mos.  I raised 9 kids and not a one is obese and all are VERY healthy, do not have high BP, are diabetic, or any other health problems.  imes change and as far as Car seats, all my kids had a car seat or a car bed, 1951 on, if you want to compare, cars didn't have seat belts either until mid '60's, my kids rode bikes and skate boarded w/o helmets as well and noe hada head injury or a broken bone from either, now falling off the picnic table was a different story BUT I didn't rade my kids in a bubble.  They are 41 to 61, an oh yes my grandkids got cereal at 3 mos as well.  As for the Ped, all children have different needs, he/she know the patient and Mom, I wouldn't go to a MD I didn't trust and that didn't  judge each patient as a individual, we were not mak with a cookie cutter. 

LKRA
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:40 PM

*scratches head*

I don't get it.

Quoting cjwilson80:

Spoke to my doctor's office and was reassured that what I did was perfectly fine.

My doctor said as long as my son is eating 40 oz or more of formula per day (which he is), adding some rice ceral is perfectly acceptable. Plus, he's 16 pounds which is big enough. He said with my son's young age the main thing they look out for is tummy upset and constipation. If that happens, reduce the amount of rice ceral or switch to oatmeal cereal.

I was worried that I did the wrong thing but I followed my instincts and got confirmation from his pediatritian that we're good to go. He said I can spoon feed or bottle feed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN