Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

help with a 5 day old...

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:22 PM
  • 5 Replies
Hi. I have a 5 day old baby girl who I am breastfeeding. I have large breasts (H cup) and I am having a hard time getting her to latch onto my areola as well as nipple. I think a lot of the problem is getting her awake enough to latch. She is sleeping a lot and I have a hard time waking her to want to feed. I know my milk is in and a good supply as I have pumped and am able to get 4 oz. Does anyone have tips on getting her to wake up and stay alert to feed? Just some more history from me...I have a 5 year old son that breastfed until he was 3. Didn't have any of these problems with him!
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 6:33 PM
Baby just in a dipe can help with staying awake. Not sure on the latch but you'll get some good suggestions :) congrats on LO!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Is she jaundice? That could be a cause for a very sleepy baby, or she can just be a very sleepy baby.  To keep her awak during feedings you should strip her down to her diapers and rub her feelt or head, you can also unlacth and burp opr change a diaper and then nurse again if she refuses to wake up.

Also, are you engorged? That can cause it to be hard to latch on.

Another thing, if she is not jaundice and has plenty of wet/poopy diapers, than I would not worry too much about her being sleepy, and I would try not to go over 4 hours of not eating during the day either at that age, 1 1/2 to 3 is good, but I wouldn't get stuck on watching the clock either.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM

How are diapers?  If they're fine, it's possible that you have an oversupply, a very efficient nurser, or a combo of the 2.  Some babies don't need to nurse for hours on end most of the time and do it only during growth spurts or not even then.

StarEyedDiva
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM
Diapers are fine. She's having plenty of wets and dirty ones. She was slightly jaundice upon leaving hospital Saturday. Doctor saw her today and said color was better. Its hard not to watch the clock because I want to make sure she is getting what she needs. I am not engorged. You all have made me feel better that she is getting enough. I'll keep trying different things to wake her while feeding. She's just so different from my son and its been 5 years since I've had a newborn.
mindymay84
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:17 PM
I remove my lo's socks and tickle his feet...but his feet are ticklish so it keeps him awake while nursing :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)