Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Night nursing is making me angry. Very, very angry.... *update*

Posted by   + Show Post

DS is almost 13 months, and he shares the bed with DH and I, sleeping right in between us.

The past week or so, I'll have nights of just ferocious anger when he wakes to breastfeed, as he does every 3 to 4 hours.  When we first started BFing, my nipples hurt so incredibly bad, I thought I would die.  Thankfully the pain subsided, BUT now it's back.  Oddly, it's only during the night, though.

I haven't tested, but I think I'm around 6 - 7 weeks pregnant.

Question:  Did pregnancy alter your attitude toward BFing?

I'm fine with him nursing during my waking hours, but there is something so upsetting about nursing him  at night, and I just don't know why!  Tonight we've moved DH to the middle, so he can sleep between DS and I.  We're hoping by not being beside me might help him decide he needs to nurse less. 

Any other tips you can give me to help us (me!) get through the nights better?

DH slept in the middle and comforted DS when he stirred last night.  He did once give him a few ounces of cow's milk from a bottle, and DS was fine with it and went back to sleep.

We were both prepared for a terribly emotional night, but it went great!  I feel WONDERFUL!  (Despite the akward position I slept in, having not slept next to my DH for over a year!)

If I can just eliminate night feedings, I'm hopeful I'll be able to continue with breastfeeding through this pregnancy...

Thanks for all the responses!

by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:30 AM
Replies (11-13):
YzmaRocks
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 11:05 AM
I did nurse through my pregnancy. It was painful and difficult but worth it. I was able to nurse him a little past his second birthday :)

Be aware though that while pregnant your supply will drop and possibly disappear. If your baby is still fairly young you will have to supplement. Just an FYI :)

Quoting mrs_smiph:

Wow, after reading this and all the responses, I just learned something new!  I nurse DD2 who is 4 months old and we're doing nothing to prevent conception (would love to have a 2013 baby) but after reading all this... I'm just not so sure I want to take that step!  I definitely want to nurse DD2 as long as possible (2 years +) and if getting pregnant right away will cut that time short, I would be devastated.  Of course, we use Fertility Awareness Method and I feel no signs of ovulation anytime soon but it's definitely something for us to ponder.  Thanks for the information, ladies!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hfs1998
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I nursed while pg with my second baby.  I didn't find it painful and my oldest baby didn't seem to mind any change in supply or taste BUT I couldn't take it psychologically.  I felt touched out.  I was done.  So I gently led her to weaning shortly before she turned 2.

mrs_smiph
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Thanks for the additional info, ladies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)