Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Hoping someone has an answer! Slightly OT.

Posted by   + Show Post
I am breastfeeding, and pump occasionally due to my school schedule. Anyway, I am making a trip to Colorado to welcome my brother home from Afghanistan, so I am storing some milk to prepare for the long trip. I don't know how I will be able to make the bottles warm while I'm in the car...except for a bottle warmer. But I'm not sure that any of them come with a car adaptor lol. Are there any other things I can do??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:02 PM
Replies (21-30):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 8, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Are you planning on giving the bottles when you stop? You should just nurse her when you stop. It is the easiest way to go and best for your supply.

Quoting Whitney15:

My plan was to hopefully coincide the stops I need to make with her feeding time. Would it be possible to just pump at the end of the day? This is my second kiddo, but my milk only lasted about 2 weeks with my first one so I only know so much :(

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Stop, get out of the car, and breastfeed. Baby should not be in the car seat for more than 2 hours at a time. You'll also need to stop for gas, eat, potty breaks, diaper changes etc.

If you were to pump and bottle feed in the car, you need to pump when you feed anyway, so just pump and give fresh milk. If you just use pumped milk from earlier, and don't pump each time baby eats, you will get engorged and your supply will go down.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 5:27 PM

We have a travel mug that plugs into the car's power or cigarette lighter... it will even boil water for hot tea or hot chocolate. If you found one of those, you could heat water up in it and then heat a bottle in the warm water?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 8, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Plan for that trip to take about 2-3 hours longer. You will need to stop. I found a one hour drive to be an incredible trial with mine at that age... I personally wouldn't have the guts to travel that long without lots of stops.

Goofygadget
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:34 PM
I agree with whoever said to pump during the trip instead of bringing frozen breast milk. Breast milk is good for 4 to 6 hours sitting out so if you pump during the trip you won't hurt your supply and still have the milk she needs so the stops take so long. Then you can just feed her what you pumped and then top her off at the breast during your stops. She's still well fed and get some boobies. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kdvorak
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I just got done taking my 4 month old son to Montana for Easter from PA.  We did really well.  We flew and we drove 10 hours in 2 streches.  If u want to know the details let me know. We drove 1100 miles and flew both ways.

Mommy2Tara
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:18 AM

This is a good idea. Or just take a travel coffee mug with you and fill it with hot water from the hot chocolate machine at any convenient store. Every time you stop to get gas, fill up you mug so when baby is hungry you can heat up the milk bag and put it in a bottle. Plus, I have exclusively breastfed two kiddos and taken several road trips. A ten hour trip without pumping, one time, is not going to hurt anything. You'll be fine. I understand that you can't just stop as soon as baby wakes up to feed her because you might be in the middle of nowhere. That is not practical. Take your breastmilk and you bottles and go from there. Have fun seeing your brother and I deeply apprceciate his service to our country. My hubby is in the Army so I know how wonderful redeployments are. 

Quoting littlelambe2:

We have a travel mug that plugs into the car's power or cigarette lighter... it will even boil water for hot tea or hot chocolate. If you found one of those, you could heat water up in it and then heat a bottle in the warm water?

mamabens
by Miranda on May. 9, 2012 at 9:30 AM

From my experience it's  going to be more work for you to pump & so much wasier to jsut plan on the trip taking a whole lot longer & stopping & nursing when baby needs it.

Whitney15
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Thank you! My hubby is army as well so it's not new territory to me, but it's still the same "yes! They're finally safe" feeling I always get lol

Quoting Mommy2Tara:

This is a good idea. Or just take a travel coffee mug with you and fill it with hot water from the hot chocolate machine at any convenient store. Every time you stop to get gas, fill up you mug so when baby is hungry you can heat up the milk bag and put it in a bottle. Plus, I have exclusively breastfed two kiddos and taken several road trips. A ten hour trip without pumping, one time, is not going to hurt anything. You'll be fine. I understand that you can't just stop as soon as baby wakes up to feed her because you might be in the middle of nowhere. That is not practical. Take your breastmilk and you bottles and go from there. Have fun seeing your brother and I deeply apprceciate his service to our country. My hubby is in the Army so I know how wonderful redeployments are. 

Quoting littlelambe2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaGreenhalge
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM
I would either stop and nurse or get a car adapter for the pump and give her freshly pumped milk. Either way, you should probably stop every two hours or so to change her diaper and get her out of the carseat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
poietes
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:44 AM

The only time I had to do this I pumped in the car while dh was driving so it was fresh.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)