Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I can't believe this happened here!

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:47 PM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this
I've never had an incident nip and thought California was too progressive for this to happen, especially LA! I'm glad the mama knew her rights and stood up for herself. The comments below the story are your typical ignorant nonsense. If you have a moment, go spread some sanity!

Woman Fights for Breastfeeding Rights After LACMA Incident

LOS ANGELES, Calif. (KTLA) --A South Bay woman is outraged after she was asked to cover up while she breastfed her baby recently at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA).

Katie Hamilton is upset that she was asked to cover up while breastfeeding at the museum when the museum features images and sculptures of nude women as art pieces.

But she said the bigger story is the stigma still attached to breastfeeding when it is the most natural and healthy thing a mother can do for her child.

Hamilton was feeding her daughter Saturday afternoon at LACMA when an employee asked her to cover herself.

"A woman came over and she said, 'You need to cover up,' and I said no," Hamilton said.

"Not that it matters but nothing was visible," she continued. "Not even the top of my breast."

So Hamilton asked to see a supervisor, who told her a patron was uncomfortable about seeing her breastfeed.

"I said, it doesn't matter," she said. "That patron can look away. I have rights."

When Hamilton informed the supervisor of the law that permits women to breastfeed their children anytime, anywhere, he apologized, she said.

But Hamilton took to Facebook to inform the uninformed.

She created a page detailing her experience at LACMA.

"People need to know," she said. "It's OK. There's laws that protect us."

There is also a video on the news page:
http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-lacma-breastfeeding,0,3011549.story
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Absurd that someone in an art museum with nude paintings and sculptures would have an issue with a mom breastfeeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 8, 2012 at 2:02 PM
3 moms liked this

clickied the link

And I only read the last 3 comments and 2 of them pissed me off worse than usual. :-(

levansbx
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Argghhh! I agree! I shouldn't have read them. they always upset me.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

clickied the link

And I only read the last 3 comments and 2 of them pissed me off worse than usual. :-(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DeShea012
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I shouldn't have read these! I cannot believe some people are so ignorant! Arg...."keep calm and nurse on". Lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM
How people can compare breastfeeding to going to the bathroom in public totally boggles my mind. Utter ignorance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DeShea012
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:37 PM
2 moms liked this
I know! I'd love to tell this guy, go ahead, I'll sit here and nurse my baby, you go ahead and do your thing and we'll see he goes into handcuffs first!

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

How people can compare breastfeeding to going to the bathroom in public totally boggles my mind. Utter ignorance.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
parentalrights1
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Education needs to be spread about the laws. They  aren't common knowledge so peopledon't have a way of knowing that there's an exception for public indecency.

jessicaeboyes
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM

i should not have read those either, i nurse my baby where ever we are, i use a nursing cover most of the time but still, thats just what i prefer. im so mad right now after reading those, some people's kids!

SuperMom2433
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:44 PM
Omg! Those comments are ridiculous. The one with the lady that nips and says its common courtesy to cover up?!? Wow! I cover up in public if Im not wearing my nursing tank under another shirt because thats how I feel comfortable. Not because its "common courtesy"!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:50 PM
3 moms liked this

Before I reached the part that mentioned it, I  thought "do museums not have paintings, sculptures, etc. that depict full and partial nudity?"  Let me guess.. it is appropriate if it is for the sake of art, but inappropriate if it is for the sake of nourishing a baby?

The other thing I am left wondering about these situations.... these businesses do not want other customers offended, so the solution is to violate both legal and ethical rights of a nursing mother and baby?

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  and share advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN